Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 200 wifi issue resolved

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
My Flame Boss 200 arrived last Friday, but I couldn't get it to connect to my wifi network to set it up. I figured I would start this thread for others (like @EggcitedinNJ and @Logger ) to refer to, or chime in with their set up problems, so we can have a resource to help sort them out.

My router is an ASUS RT-N16 running Tomato 1.28. My router password is long. Whenever I tried to enter my wifi network SSID and password into the FB200, the wifi status (on the FB 200) would reset and it wouldn't connect. I couldn't set up a guest network easily on my router. Sent a message to FB via their website on Sat 6/27 and figured I would wait until Monday to give them a call if i didn't hear from them. No biggie.

I got a response a few hours later that Saturday, suggesting that I try connecting using a hotpspot or some other network, and to make sure my router was not set to N mode. On Monday I also heard from their engineer, who confirmed that the FB200 won't work with long passwords. He also recommended that I try to connect using a hotspot, and that  once my FB was registered and I had a device ID + PIN, he would push a firmware update through to my device.

I was futzing around with the controller last night, using an iPhone as a hotspot, and noticed that it started to download a firmware update at about 10pm. Once the firmware update was installed, I was able to enter my router settings and it connected to my home wifi network . It has stayed connected overnight and is responding to temp changes made on my phone at work.

Summary:
1. Flame Boss support is superb. They figured out my problem,  and provided a solution in under 24hours essentially. About 5 emails total were exchanged, no phone calls/voice mail/waiting on hold necessary.

2. If you want to buy one, get in touch with @stlcharcoal

3. Set your router to N mode. Mine is now in b/g mixed mode. So far other devices seem to be working, including the rachio sprinkler controller. Haven't confirmed that the Honeywell wifi tstats are still online, but I think they are.

4. If you have a long password, you may need the firmware update. Try connecting using your phone as a hotspot, or another router if you have one at home (I didn't). Set up your profile on myflameboss dot com, and add your device to your profile. You can  then use the  web interface to enter your router settings and push them to the FB unit.  

I didn't give step by step instructions, but just hit me up if I can help. Set up is actually pretty simple once you get going. 

The probes included with the FB200 seem pretty robust. I was worried that they would be kinda cheap like the Maverick probes. They are supposedly good up to 450°F. The fan is 6.5cfm, which is a little more than the stoker's 5cfm fan (I wonder if I can mod it to work with my drum smokers?). Adapters for an LBGE and SBGE are included. I need to put together a box to house the controller in and keep it dry. probably something like the one @NPHuskerFL put together.

Can't wait to start cooking with this, but will probably have have to wait until the next weekend!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Good to know.  That will be my next big purchase for my egg!

@stlcharcoal - you running about $350 for the FB 200's?

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Very nice post. Thanks for putting in the time and willingness to help...Awesome
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    +1  Flame Boss support is fantastic!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

Email me.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options

Roswell Hardware has these. 
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I know, Craig. I've gotten some good info from @stlcharcoal so I was looking to possible throw some business his way.  Kinda like how Ron @RRP will get my $$ for a Rutland when it comes times for a new gasket....  Spread the wealth, ya know!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    I know, Craig. I've gotten some good info from @stlcharcoal so I was looking to possible throw some business his way.  Kinda like how Ron @RRP will get my $$ for a Rutland when it comes times for a new gasket....  Spread the wealth, ya know!
    That's cool, i understand. By no means advertising for RH, just know you are local. I have the patience of a 3 year old and can't stand waiting for things to ship. 
  • caliking
    Options
    That's cool, i understand. By no means advertising for RH, just know you are local. I have the patience of a 3 year old and can't stand waiting for things to ship. 
    I'm like that too. I had mine 2 days after I put my order in with Jonathan, which is pretty speedy.

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    =) Shipping would give me time to brace the wife for the purchase...... Yes, I know a lot of places around that have the FB machines....  and on MY side of town!!!!!  Southern Lawn Designs - Tracy - over in Senoia; AKA "Zombie Town"

• EggcitedinNJ
    Options

Since reading the advice of trying to connect to another network to get the ID information I haven't had the time to do so away from my house so a short while ago, spurred on by Caliking's recent success, I had the FB200 search for my neighbors' routers with the hope of finding an unsecured one that I could briefly jump on. No such luck, but for whatever reason I decided to give my home router one more chance and I was able to connect and am very pleased to write that I now have wifi control capability for my new cooking tool.

After writing here I am going to write to Michael at FB and thank him for the attention he and his company paid to this matter. Customer service was great and I'm looking forward to many years of stress free overnight cooks.

• caliking
    Options
    @EggcitedinNJ - check what mode your router is set at. The FB200 works in b or g mode, it won't work in n mode. Maybe you inadvertently changed it to the right mode when you were trying different options?

But who cares, it works now! :)

• EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    caliking said:
    @EggcitedinNJ - check what mode your router is set at. The FB200 works in b or g mode, it won't work in n mode. Maybe you inadvertently changed it to the right mode when you were trying different options?

But who cares, it works now! :)

What you wrote would make perfect sense, but I know for a fact that I did not change anything; the mode has always been: "Mixed". Although I have no idea what any of this means, last week I had an email exchange with Michael about this exact topic which is why I'm so sure my setting was and continues to be Mixed.

Cali, it's certainly a head scratcher for me, but as you wrote, it works and that's what's important. That written, I am a little curious, but I'll get over it. Thanks for all your help to me and other Eggers in helping to facilitate a solution to our respective issues.

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How long are the probes and wire to the fan?  I have my egg in a nest w/o wheels on a stone pedestal.  Where it's at, I have a weak to no wifi signal and bad radio interference with my maverick 732.

I can't get a good AT&T signal in half the rooms. But that's another problem.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• caliking
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    How long are the probes and wire to the fan?  I have my egg in a nest w/o wheels on a stone pedestal.  Where it's at, I have a weak to no wifi signal and bad radio interference with my maverick 732.

I can't get a good AT&T signal in half the rooms. But that's another problem.

Measured end to end (roughly):

Power cord= 60"

Blower cord= 72"

Pit probe= 82"

Food probe= 87"

I modded my et-73 back in the day to add external antennae and the range improved exponentially. I wonder if that can be done with the et732.

About your AT&T signal - I used to get crap signal in my house, so I tried asking them for a microcell. They wanted me to buy one for $250, despite having been a customer for 12 years. I had 8000+ rollover minutes... because I could never use my phone!!

I bought a microcell from CL for $40 and used it for a while. Signal improved dramatically. I got sick of them and switched to Verizon. Much happier with them.

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Thanks!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• caliking
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Cool! I've only run an experiment with mine so far - heated up some lasagna in the oven with the food and pit probes hooked up. I could check on it while putting caliprince to bed- pretty neat. Will have to wait until next weekend or so to do a real cook!

if you happen to call and get info about any features not documented im the manual, please post here about what you find out. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    @caliking - Thanks for the dimensions.  I'll need to check the WiFi signal 6 feet from the egg tonight.  I was talking with a network engineer today about my house problem.  Checking google maps, it looks like I'm getting interference from the power lines on the other side of the wall.  He suggested I call my utility company and have them try to add a ground wire.  I'm not sure if that'll help because there's two lines.  One going across the street another running along the wall.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• mcook
    mcook Posts: 14
    Options
    Flame Boss password problem.  At least Flame Boss responded.

When I got my Stoker Black Box WiFi, I got zero support from Rock's BBQ.  I figured it out myself, gradually shortening the password.  I told them the maximum length and they said they would put it in the manual, haven't seen that yet with their online manual.

I am about an inch away from scrapping my 3-year old Stoker because it constantly is dropping WiFi, like Super Bowl 50, it dropped WiFi four times.  I sent an e-mail to Rock and he did not dispute that it drops WiFi.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    @mcook what is the max password length for the Stoker? I'm with you. It's the biggest POS I've bought in a long time with the worst customer service imaginable.