Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Felt Gasket Replacement

Options
Joshua Kane
Joshua Kane Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the best method for replacing the felt gasket on a Large BGE. I got my new gasket, and wanted to tackle this for the upcoming weekend.[p]-- Joshua[p]

Comments

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Joshua Kane,[p]Try this :[p]Loosen the band on the top and remove the lid. Let the band open up, as in the lid open position, so you can have better access to the bottom gasket. Scrape the bottom gasket off with a putty knife or wood chisel. Clean as well as you can with alcohol (denatured, or rubbing) and remove as much as the old adhesive as you can by scraping and rubbing with the chisel and paper towels. Place the lid on the base in the inverted position and repeat the above instructions for removing the base gasket. Cut the new (replacement) gasket in two equal halves and apply one half to the lid, remove the lid and set aside. Apply the other half of the gasket to the base. Put the top band in the closed position at this point being very careful to apply the pressure on the hinge only and NOT on the band itself else it may bend. Put the lid in place, adjust the bands as you did in the original assembly, and tighten the band bolts. Don't cook on it for 24 hours minimum and you're good to go......
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    I am a fairly new guy but i replaced mine about a
    week ago and had good luck i used a sharp putty knife a little sand paper then rubbing alcohol then carefully peeled part of the backing off at a time and put it on. do not let it stick over the inside edge of the egg if there is any make it over the outside good luck best method is slo and careful

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Options
    61 CHEV,
    As I apply the felt I put one finger along the inside rim to act as a guide as I go around. Works well.

• mule
    mule Posts: 152
    Options
    Joshua Kane,
    Have a look at this link - it might help.[p]mule

[ul][li]http://www.tm52.com/bge/gasket.htm[/ul]
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Joshua Kane, I do pretty much the same as egret, but I take the springs off first. remove the hinge completely, when done reinstall the hinge and dome. The springs going on and off, the dome must be in the open position held by another person, so it does not fall down. Takes a few more minutes but it is simpler, kinda like not hinge smacking in the face safe.

• tach18k, why is it necessary to remove the dome to put a new felt gasket on the base? This week I glued a new felt gasket, over the previous three with the dome in-place, with Elmer's (wood) Glue in less than ten minutes. If I needed a gasket on the dome, which I never have needed, I would glue it on with the dome in-place. I don't understand why the big project in adding a new felt gasket.