Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple wood for smoke

Options
MeTed
MeTed Posts: 800
Has anyone used maple for flavor? 
I am using oak for fuel.
I have a pork belly that will be cured for 7 days with maple syrup and I will smoke it thursday. I have used hickory before to do this but curious as to using maple. Any help is appreciated.
Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    It's very mild so not a lot of strong flavor. I have a yard full and I used to use it quite often, until I got my hands on some white oak. Free is a great price and both of them are.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SaskNortherner
    Options
    I have been using Canadian Maple for awhile now. We can get it at Lowes and Home Hardware. I can honestly say I don't think I will ever use anything else now. It gives everything you cook a mild kick of flavor.I tried some Wicked good a while back and it made everything taste Wickedley Smokey.

LBGE,Mini Max,Stoker Meadow Lake Sask.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I use it on pork butts......love it.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I use maple and hickory blend with pork. Awesome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I love maple. It's a little bit stronger than fruit woods like apple and cherry but a little bit lighter than oak and hickory. Great on pork, love love love it on ribs. Sweetest smoke you'll find. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very happy with the Sugar Maple I get mailed from Maine. Hams and butts.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    I use  Canadian Maple nice mild flavoure for pork and chicken  
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I've never tried it, but I will now.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Maple is nice for chicken.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    I have made bacon that sounds like just like yours - maple syrup based cure for a week.  Smoked with maple and it turned out awesome.  
    Winnipeg, Canada