Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking for the 4th of July?

Options

Comments

• hashissmokin
    hashissmokin Posts: 238
    Options
    smoking 15 lb pork shoulder along with two 5 lb whole chickens.  Pretty excited as I'm making my own white BBQ sauce for the chicken and plan on making a few other more traditional sauces.  Letting the guests take care of all the sides.
    LBGE, Paris, KY.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    The 4th is the wife's birthday so she gets what she wants... This year it's midwest hanger steak from Flannery meats.

That's what she said she wanted. Don't think I'll mention that whenI went on-line to order it I found that it's 25% off through July 2. B)
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Love it @BYS1981 ...check out some pics below and let me know if you have any other questions 
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    The 4th is the wife's birthday so she gets what she wants... This year it's midwest hanger steak from Flannery meats.

That's what she said she wanted. Don't think I'll mention that whenI went on-line to order it I found that it's 25% off through July 2. B)
    She shares a birthday with Al Davis. 
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    She shares a birthday with Al Davis. 
    and George Steinbrenner, Geraldo Rivera, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Rube Goldberg...

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Doing pizzas at the pool but I realized that's not very American. Pretty sure I am gonna do cheeseburger pizzas to bring it back home. The good fireworks will be legal in GA July 1st so it's gonna be good. 
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    YetiBob said:
    I am doing one of my favorites! Hawg Hammers (also known as pork wings). The last time I made them, they were fantastic! They typically take 5 hours at 225 (of course they are actually done when they are done). I may throw an Ostrowski's Sausage on for a Scoobie snack as well.

Served with the usual, corn on the cob, BBQ Beans (I just "fix" a can of Bushes as I have to be able to beat them from scratch), and some yummy Cole Slaw. I will also make the world's greatest French Vanilla Ice Cream (this recipe is FANTASTIC)

The morning will feature Waffles of Insane Greatness - another killer recipe.
    How bout the ice cream recipe?

Little Rock, AR

• flhxnick
    flhxnick Posts: 66
    Options
    im doing 2 10 pound pork butts and some homemade slaw,party im going to everyone is bringing a little something
    XLBGE in plainview,new york
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I'm cooking Whole clod and a side of salmon with the Pineapple head that Hapster sent me.
    I hope you post pictures.  I've never cooked a clod and I need schooled.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Options
    Going to be doing 10 chickens cut in half over a 50 gallon drum cut in half. It's a tradition we do every July 4th. This year I will do some dessert pizza with the home made ice cream. Favorite holiday of the year. Pics will follow. 
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    I'll be on the beach and cooking on a gasser (I know) but planning on grilled little necks, lobster, and some sort of pork that I haven't quite figured out yet with some of the rubs and sauces sent my way in the exchange. 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Cooking a pig in the mountains on a homemade cooker.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Will be grilling some blackened amberjack & cobia we caught a few weeks ago. I think I will sear some scallops in butter on a cast iron skillet. And a few burgers for the very unfortunate members of the family who don't like fish...
    Large BGE
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    Having 4 friends over so will not be a big cook. thoughts for now include Tri-Tip, wings and grilled veggies.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    It's been confirmed by SWMBO.  Over the course of the weekend I will be cooking:

10lb pork shoulder
    Chicken and Steak kabobs
    Ribeye steaks

I work a half day on Thursday and then I'm done for the weekend.  Have a party to go to on Saturday so I'll probably make an app or two for it.  Brought moink balls last year and they were entirely gone by the time they hit the table!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    It's been confirmed by SWMBO.  Over the course of the weekend I will be cooking:

10lb pork shoulder
    Chicken and Steak kabobs
    Ribeye steaks

I work a half day on Thursday and then I'm done for the weekend.  Have a party to go to on Saturday so I'll probably make an app or two for it.  Brought moink balls last year and they were entirely gone by the time they hit the table!
    Got to appreciate SWMBO making things so easy for you!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I want to give a Hawaiian burger another go.  I tried it a couple of weeks ago with some execution errors, but I decided where I went wrong and I'm anxious for another swipe at it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm not sure, one of my sons is having shoulder surgery on Friday, so whatever it is will need to be one-hand compatible.  Any ideas other than ribs?  I thought wings or drumsticks, but I think that gets too messy.  Sliders maybe?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm not sure, one of my sons is having shoulder surgery on Friday, so whatever it is will need to be one-hand compatible.  Any ideas other than ribs?  I thought wings or drumsticks, but I think that gets too messy.  Sliders maybe?
    Hope the surgery goes well!

Just about anything can become one-handed compatible; you may have to cut it up for him though.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Wings, brats, burgers, moms potato salad, cole slaw, beans, lemonade and something for dessert. All on moms Weber gasser.....taking the cook to my folks this time. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    so far i have lemons, limes, and ice on the list
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Pork butt going on Friday night and pulled pork pizzas on Saturday.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Undecided. However, I'm thinking of crab cakes, stuffed baby bellas, figs, ABTs, and whatever comes to mind. We'll have to see I guess. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    It will be my Dad's 75th Birthday.  So, whatever he wants!  He is supposed to let me know tomorrow what he would like.  My guess is Brats and Hamburgers.  I might have to add to that with a surprise or two.
    83 for my dad. Enjoy!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We are doing two butts and a packer. I will also cook four free range chickens. I will brine the birds. The sides are my wife and guests to do. Looking forward to the long weekend. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    And maybe some Cornish Hens. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    Good luck on the brisket!

Im torn between:

Baby Backs
    Stuffed Bacon/Cheese Burgers
    Brisket
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Making pulled chicken from organic, skinless, boneless chicken thighs !
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Best buddy hosting the party asked for brisky.  Being a grateful guest, who am I to say no?  B)
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Brisket here.

Johns Creek, Georgia