Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2015 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    @Lmidkiff I am so pleased you got your package and also happy that the lack of rubs and sauce in a rub and sauce exchange wasn't too unsettling for you. I wish I lived somewhere that has barbecue flavors that it's known for but I got dealt beautiful Ohio. Enjoy sir!
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Hibby said:
    @Lmidkiff I am so pleased you got your package and also happy that the lack of rubs and sauce in a rub and sauce exchange wasn't too unsettling for you. I wish I lived somewhere that has barbecue flavors that it's known for but I got dealt beautiful Ohio. Enjoy sir!
    Where are you from ? We get this stuff all the time when we visit Ohio. My wife's family live in Central Ohio. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    @tarheelmatt , I'm 35 miles east of Coumbus.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    gmac...I agree I'm ready for a Labor Day Exchange too...It is pretty cool getting stuff from out of our normal shopping routine. I also like sending sauces and rubs out that I really have had good success with. And I agree thanks Cazzy, again for heading it up this time !!!

Biggreenpharmacist....I agree the Stawbanero def caught my eye as the picture started materializing on the screen...visions of strawbanero chops danced in my head....then I scrolled down and read your post...The minds of Eggheads really do think alike !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Hibby ...If you get to Cincinnati area...or maybe where you are now, you can find Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce on the shelf that is pretty tasty. Don't know if you've tried making your own as well....I made some fiery Peach and some Sweet Blueberry....both were very good.  If you decide to try, I'll send you the recipe/directions.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Hurray! My gift arrived to day! The package brother Daron(egghead_daron) put together was a great end to a good no rain Monday. Very informative letter and the assortment is very nice. I will be sharing the potatoes chips with my employees tomorrow when I bring in fresh BBQ pulled pork sandwhichs. Great job Daron and thank you for being part of the exchange. Tilt of my hat to cazzy as well for letting us all be part of a great thing. 
    @Egghead_Daron  Representing the Grippos! NICE!!! We always bring home a couple cases every time we go back home. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Hurray! My gift arrived to day! The package brother Daron(egghead_daron) put together was a great end to a good no rain Monday. Very informative letter and the assortment is very nice. I will be sharing the potatoes chips with my employees tomorrow when I bring in fresh BBQ pulled pork sandwhichs. Great job Daron and thank you for being part of the exchange. Tilt of my hat to cazzy as well for letting us all be part of a great thing. 
    I'm wearing a Walt's shirt right now from last year's exchange! I got daren last year and he really does go all out doesn't he!!  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Hibby said:
    @tarheelmatt , I'm 35 miles east of Coumbus.
    That's cool @Hibby !  Wife's family is about 40 miles north east of Columbus (Mt. Vernon area).  

I really enjoy going into the heavily populated Amish areas and buying stuff.  Really love Walnut Creek and their items.  Man they have some good jellies.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Biggreenpharmacist  I hope you enjoy everything Shane.  I will be sending you a couple more items in the next week or so.  I just couldn't get a hold of them in time to make the July 4th deadline.  They are from a town outside of Omaha and I'll be going through there this weekend.  

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Hibby ...If you get to Cincinnati area...or maybe where you are now, you can find Montgomery Inn BBQ Sauce on the shelf that is pretty tasty. Don't know if you've tried making your own as well....I made some fiery Peach and some Sweet Blueberry....both were very good.  If you decide to try, I'll send you the recipe/directions.
    I'm not a big sauce guy but I find the Montgomery Inn sauces to be exceptional.
    BOWHUNR said:
    Biggreenpharmacist  I hope you enjoy everything Shane.  I will be sending you a couple more items in the next week or so.  I just couldn't get a hold of them in time to make the July 4th deadline.  They are from a town outside of Omaha and I'll be going through there this weekend.  

Dont feel
    obligated to do that. Im very appreciative of what you sent. Ive got a deer backstrap that Im gonna cook and use that hot bbq sauce. I'm excited. I LOVE trying new bbq sauces. Its to the point the wife rolls her eyes when I buy more bottles of sauce. 

Little Rock, AR

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Well mine went out this morning. Said it "should" be there Friday. I hope it makes it for the 4th. And I hope he enjoys it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Well mine went out this morning. Said it "should" be there Friday. I hope it makes it for the 4th. And I hope he enjoys it.
    Sure they will!  You send one of your Egg's since you're not using all of them? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    Well this year Christmas came on July 1st for me!  Many thanks to my Elfster @fiver29 for this very generous selection of sauces, rubs and marinades.  I didn't include it in the photos, but this was all accompanied by a very detailed description about the origin of each item and even a recipe.  You out did yourself John!  

BTW, my brother happened to be here when I opened it and he picked up on the Tony Packo's before we ever looked at your letter.  I guess he's a better MASH fan than I am.  Once again, thank-you my friend and if your travels ever bring you through Omaha the beers on me.

Omaha, NE
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Received my well wrapped package at work from @Parkersquared. A box of Mississippi sweetness. I have had some Shed product in past but the others are all new. I will be using some of that Sweet Rub o Mine this week. Thank you very much
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Tspud1 said:
    Received my well wrapped package at work from @Parkersquared. A box of Mississippi sweetness. I have had some Shed product in past but the others are all new. I will be using some of that Sweet Rub o Mine this week. Thank you very much
    Shed is good stuff!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Need to try Shed sauce soon.  I've heard good things!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    ^ I'm particularly fond of the spicy mustard and spicy sweet.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @cazzy I've only tried two bottles of the shed but they have both been fantastic. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @fljoemon  I am stoked.... I just returned from a crazy week of daughter's wedding and couple days relaxing in Asheville. My neighbor brings over my package last evening. First let me say that my gift is outstanding and much appreciated. I very much like the Jamaican items as this will stretch me in new directions. I have not delved much in the Jamaican world of spice and heat. I am looking forward to this, a big fan of the warmth myself. You are most kind and generousness. My apologies for taking so long to get this posted....just been a crazy week......Speaking of @cazzy, thanks for putting this exchange together. What great fun both on the sending and receiving side.Looking forward to the weekend. I have some great cooks planned and also watching The Grateful Dead's final shows on PPV. I appreciate the note and instructions card. Again thanks so much for the gift items. You rock!

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @tarheelmatt would have but shipping was a killer
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    After a long difficult week at work I had forgotten about the exchange until I came home and saw a box on my front door step. I immediately became excited. Went inside and found this generous haul from my Elfster. Huge Thank you to whoever it was. I am so greatful and very excited to try a lot of this stuff!!  
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    After a long difficult week at work I had forgotten about the exchange until I came home and saw a box on my front door step. I immediately became excited. Went inside and found this generous haul from my Elfster. Huge Thank you to whoever it was. I am so greatful and very excited to try a lot of this stuff!!  
    Ah!  It made it. I will zip you my note on all the goodies. Basically, many nice Virginia companies- DP being one.  You mentioned you'd been to the SC low country so Melvin's is my fav mustard sauce. And I saw in some posts you wanted to branch out into creole and other cuisines. So my fav jerk too!  Enjoy those huge Virginny peanuts too!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Sweet! (Or tangy, actually, since it's Carolina BBQ goodies).  I just opened a great box of goodies from @shucker, who really hooked me up.

Sadly, one of the sauce tops came off and nuked the box, some of the dry goodies, and his note (front left). Fortunately, even down a bottle, this is a great haul.  More commentary after the pic.

What @shucker didn't know is that while I am a Texan through and through, I didn't fall hard for BBQ until we lived a few years in Chapel Hill, NC, where pigs, pepper and vinegar combine to make some great eats.

We then moved to Chicago, where we got our LBGE, I found Elder Ward's pork butt recipe, and wore it out, along with pork ribs, chickens, ducks, pheasants, but no brisket.

When we we moved back to Texas four years ago, I figured that I better switch to brisket, or I'd get deported. Thanks to this box, I have a great excuse to get back to the swine that stole my heart. Thanks again for the great box.

J

PS - Look to have done a great write up for me.  I was able to find your handle (barely), I would appreciate it if you could message me the note so I can read it. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    @mwatts THANK YOU! What a great assortment of Alabama local stuff. The box was packaged amazingly and everything looks great. Thank you for the note as well giving me some great information on the stuff. Can't wait to try it out and the bacon rub has many ideas rolling around my brain. I'll be picking up some steak, chicken, salmon and pork for this weekend. Happy 4th to all and a big Thanks to @cazzy for putting this together.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    shucker said: ... Now I'm hoping my box makes it without damage as I didn't pack any better than my elf.   
    It looks like some of the boxes are getting some tough love. I expect to deploy some serious engineering next year
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I think its those kamado joe bastards controlling the mail. They're jealous. 

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    Options
    @fljoemon  I am stoked.... I just returned from a crazy week of daughter's wedding and couple days relaxing in Asheville. My neighbor brings over my package last evening. First let me say that my gift is outstanding and much appreciated. I very much like the Jamaican items as this will stretch me in new directions. I have not delved much in the Jamaican world of spice and heat. I am looking forward to this, a big fan of the warmth myself. You are most kind and generousness. My apologies for taking so long to get this posted....just been a crazy week......Speaking of @cazzy, thanks for putting this exchange together. What great fun both on the sending and receiving side.Looking forward to the weekend. I have some great cooks planned and also watching The Grateful Dead's final shows on PPV. I appreciate the note and instructions card. Again thanks so much for the gift items. You rock!

Looks like you either got after the Jerk BBQ sauce or it broke.  
  • BOWHUNR
    Options
    I have followed this thread from the beginning and I am amazed how few duplicate sauces or rubs there have been pictured.  Just goes to show how tough that business must be to make it in.

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • cazzy
    Options

Did you get a box of peanuts too?  Great job @Cookbook_Chip