Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XXL Disaster

Options
johnkitchens
johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
A dealer in Augusta, GA had an XXL in their showroom for a long time. I guess after keeping it for such a long time they decided to raffle it off for $20 a ticket.

I didn't buy a ticket because I don't want the beast. I went over yesterday and it was gone. They told me a guy that lives not too far away from me won it and was on the way home with it, and he had to slam on brakes and the load shifted and it broke! 

I know this has happened many times before, but I would be very upset. The thing is too big. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Damnnnnnnnnn, that'll be an expensive warranty claim! :lol: 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I think he is going to be high and dry. I am pretty sure warranty won't cover it. I am sure that he is "devastated" though. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    Devastating for sure but hopefully he was only out $20.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    The sound it made while breaking had to make his stomach churn.  I really wouldn't mind a xxl egg but for 4k I think I'll spend my money other ways.  There is a BBQ shop in Augusta that I always visit when I'm in town,  they have had the same one forever.  I don't think many people other than @badinfluence have bought one. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    Options
    SGH said:
    You know, even if I only had 20 bucks tied up in the raffle ticket I would be absolutely sick.  I hate it for the fellow.  
    I could only imagine driving in the car with my new XL in the back, dreaming about my first cook and all of the accessories I was going to buy. Brutal...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    I wonder how it was being transported...it weighs 500lbs...i guess slamming on the breaks can shift a lot of weight though. I would have tracked down whoever/whatever made me slam on my breaks.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    All he has to do is claim it on his insurance and go pick up a brand new one.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Step 1>>> properly secure load that is being transported. 
    Step 2>>> drive with caution. 
    Step 3>>> don't get distracted. 

OT...& still no mobile gifs! :disappointed: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Yea.... $20, free, $4,000. I'd be sick all the way around. Of course it'd hurt worse if you just debited it out of your account. But it'd all hurt. 

Car insurance would pay for it?? I'd pay the deductible for sure

XLBGE 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am not sure if anything can be done about it. I think the guy was wanting the dealer to replace it. It certainly isn't the dealers problem. 

I am sure he was all smiles pulling out and all frowns when it happened. Both of my eggs came from my dealer a mile away. I am paranoid about breaking an egg during transport. 

• Sameday
    Sameday Posts: 43
    Options
    I always let the experts handle delivery to the house for big ticket items.  It is worth the extra couple of dollars to reduce my risk.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Yeah I bought one, but it was delivered from my dealer as there was no way I was going to risk breaking it. If they broke it that would have been there baby.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    He's just lucky it wasn't directly behind him in the auto!  One hellacious projectile!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @badinfluence how is the food truck going?  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I think as a dealer you are required to deliver and set it up. Your neighbor might look into this. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @johnkitchens some folks want to pinch a penny and transport the egg on. I did with my MM but that's completely different. My LBGE was transported and set-up by my dealer. Granted when I finished my table we had to pick it up and put it in the table. I wound venture to say it's no different than somebody's dog knocking over their egg. It sucks and the dealer although may be empathetic has no obligation to do Jack diddly squat. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    That fella should have thought it through better! I would have picked up the pieces, took it home, built a half ass fire in it, and then snapped a pic and sent it to the dealer explaining how it exploded immediately after coming up to temp and they're damn lucky it didn't get no one hurt! BaHaHaHaHa!!!   =)=)
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's an expensive lesson to learn.  What a dumb-ass.
    Options
    I'm not so sure I'd want to make an insurance claim @MrCookingNurse only because of a rise in premiums would likely follow. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I worked as a museum preparator for 37 years. Handled objects of all kinds. Ceramics were the 2nd worse, after plaster objects. BGE ceramics are much harder than most, being fired to a high temp. But when stuff like that fail, ker-blooey. All or nothing. Wouldn't want to move an XXL without a foot of packing blankets on all side, and an air cushion suspension.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    All I know is if I ever sell my house the new owner better love big green eggs as I sure as hell ain't moving 13 of the suckers!
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    :lol: @badinfluence I hear FL condos are nice. :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    What a moron. What dealer John??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Pete Alewine in Evans.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

could he glue back together with the glue that RRP sells ?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I figured. That's a great store. He said it's really taken off since they started pushing the egg stuff.  Wish I'd grabbed a ticket. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As a great man (Captain USN) once told me the story of "The Would've Should've Could've Didn't Blues".  I ain't gonna lie I would've shed some tears and epic F bombs they would've heard in Dubai. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I didn't even buy one. I have been there several times in the past two weeks getting pool stuff etc. It is just too much egg for me. I love my two larges, but I am thinking of adding an XL, but that is as big as I want to go. 

You go to the Evans store instead of the Aiken store @Jeremiah