Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Underbite on LBGE - 1st steps to fix?

Options
blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
had to take my Egg apart to install the rutland gasket.  When I put back together I have a severe underbite.  I obviously installed the band incorrectly.  What do I need to do to install the band correctly so I can minimize the underbite?  when the dealer installed my egg they used these little red plastic guides.  Any help would be appreciated.  See pictures that shows the underbite - apologize for the blurriness

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    My eyes aren't the best but, I'm not seeing a severe underbite in those pics.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Nope, that's not what I'd call "severe," either. It's what mine looks like. I've got a Rutland gasket on the way and will be addressing it when I install.

If you search for "underbite," there are detailed instructions posted up by a bunch of other Eggers.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I agree not severe, but you could ask your dealer for the spacers and white plastic things to hold the springs in the right position. More than likely, it's your bottom band that's out of whack. 
  • blakeas
    Options
    I was also curious that with the rutland installed - that I would need another alignment device?  the red spacers fit between the Origanal top and bottom gaskets.  since I don't have a gasket on top do I do something else?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Good point. I'm out. 
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    The red spacers are not ideal with the rutland.  My best advice is to loosen the bands and get the dome centered on the base so they align.  Then get the bands close to the bottom edge of the top all the way around and the top edge of the base all around.  Re-tighten the bands and keep your fingers crossed.  Do the dollar bill test if really loose anywhere then loosen the top band so it rests evenly on base and re-tighten the top band.  I had a under bite with my rutland I could not get out no matter how I tired.  It was not bad, as yours is not that bad either.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited July 2015
    Options
    In my reply to inquiries I state: It is not necessary to remove the dome itself but some people find it easier if removed. Suit yourself! If you didn't have an overbite or underbite before then why bother messing with the bands? If you did already have that problem then the Rutland will not solve that issue. While application MAY mean you need to adjust the planes that is a simple problem to resolve which @B&BKnox described. I have a canned explanation doing the same just using different words which I'll be glad to share.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • blakeas
    Options
    so I have been talking to the mothership about my underbite, sent them pictures and measured the diameter of the dome and base.  They determined that it was probably a bent hinge/band.  So they are sending me a new one!  cant say enough good things about bruce and the company.  They really stand behind their products!