Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest Handler??

Are they a must?? Wanting to save the money but need to know how yall feel. Won't move the egg much, but will prolly roll it a few feet here and there on the back porch. I've put a deposit down on an XL. 

XLBGE 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited June 2015
    In your case, I'd say no. I roll mine around the deck and into the sunroom for servicing without any issue. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited June 2015
    I have a handler on both my eggs.  Personally, I think MSRP is way to high on them.  I worked with my dealer to get a more reasonable price.

With that said, I would never have an egg in a nest without one.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I have a handler on both my eggs.  Personally, I think MSRP is way to high on them.  I worked with my dealer to get a more reasonable price.

With that said, I would never have an egg in a nest without one.
    Why, if you don't mind me asking?
    GWN
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited June 2015
    I roll mine 6 feet or so, no handler and for sure it would have tipped. A small rock or indent is all it takes and timber. If you have a nice smooth patio you may be fine.
    Good luck on your decision.
    Seattle, WA
  • I bought one on here for like $50 I think. I bought some nest mates too and I think the whole deal was $100-$125 or something close to that. guys that build tables have that stuff lying around. Maybe you can strike a deal.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @Nanook the handler ties the egg into the nest.  It makes the whole assembly more rigid and solid feeling.

I also move my eggs to clean under them and occasionally across my pavers and grass.  It makes the process a lot easier.

In the end the eggs cost a lot, the price for a little extra security and ease of movement was worth it to me.  Plus, I think they look cool ;)

Granted they cost more than my CL Weber OTG, which was hard to come to terms with.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    It's not a must, but is certainly on the list of should haves.  You might think of it like buying insurance ... you'll probably never need it, but it's extremely beneficial when the stars align against you.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    SkinnyV said:
    I roll mine 6 feet or so, no handler and for sure it would have tipped. A small rock or indent is all it takes and timber. If you have a nice smooth patio you may be fine.
    Good luck on your decision.
    I pull mine by the lower part of the nest. It's slower but no tipping. 
  • I roll my XL from my garage a few feet to the driveway.  I have the handler and makes the journey a cinch.  Without the handler, I think people naturally tend to push the egg to move it.  Unfortunately, this is the most unstable way to move an egg.  I think Humpty Dumpty started that way.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    If you are moving your Egg a lot, you are going to want it. It stabilizes the Egg and gives you a handle. 
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    +1 on the handler. Have one on both my eggs.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    The 'Handler' completes my egg, very functional and proudly say's 'Big Green Egg' on both sides. I hit the internet and bought mine for $85 dollars - shipped.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I haven't seen one in person, but how come nobody makes their own? I wouldn't think it would be hard to add some flat steel to tie the lower band to the rolling nest. A little bending, a few holes, some hardware and done.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Toxarch said:
    I haven't seen one in person, but how come nobody makes their own? I wouldn't think it would be hard to add some flat steel to tie the lower band to the rolling nest. A little bending, a few holes, some hardware and done.
    My reasoning was BGE's handler is easy to install, everything matches, and the cost savings wasn't worth my time.

If I had ample time or enjoyed that tupe of DIY then I may have choosen your approach.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I've had my large for over 3 years, and don't have one. I'm swerouslt considering buying one.  When I pull it forward on my deck, I've been using the handle, and noticed it has the hinge at the back all out of whack after three years of pulling. 
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Both my Larges have Handlers and if I had an XL it would. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    I don't have one of these and not sure they were even available when I got my eggs. I use a nest for my original egg and have never had any problems - and I move it every time I cook. And now I have to drag the egg across a paver patio each time.

But looking at it, it does look great and obviously functions as it should - just not 100% sure it's necessary for most eggers - so long as you use caution and move the eggs slowly.
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Does the cover still fit
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Does the cover still fit
    yes ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    This just made the list.:)
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • I bought one due to the ever dangerous "Budweiser Factor".  You know, when drinking and something seems like a good idea until disaster proves you wrong.  At least moving the egg with the handler back into garage is something this tipsy cook can probably do without incident.
    Flint, Michigan
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @Fred19Flintstone if you'd hung around down here another couple of days that would be renamed the "hey y'all watch dis" factor. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Well... Yall are very convincing. Maybe they'll have some set up I can look at. They are just crazy expensive for what they look like. 

XLBGE 
  • MCN - I agree with you, but I looked at it as cheap insurance, grit my teeth and then bought it.  Now a couple of years down the road, the sting is long gone and I'm glad I have it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Toxarch said:
    I have that thought many times each day about a variety of different things.  To me, stuff like this seems simple.  To others it is an insurmountable task.  

Then I remind myself that I can't write a legal brief, delivery a baby, or write computer code...
    Phoenix 
  • I bought one due to the ever dangerous "Budweiser Factor".  You know, when drinking and something seems like a good idea until disaster proves you wrong.  At least moving the egg with the handler back into garage is something this tipsy cook can probably do without incident.
    Whoa!  You drink while grilling?  Next thing is you'll be texting while grilling.  Keep it safe folks.
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Drunk texting??  No sir!  Drunk posting on here??  Hail yeah!!!!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2015
    The XL, by shape and size, is not as top heavy as the smaller Eggs.
    I have my XL in the older nest with the little wheels and no cross bar on the lower nest. I pull mine around my deck and it's fairly easy even late at night, in the dark, after many beers.
    The newer nests are better with larger wheels and cross bars on the lower nest.
    The XL, compared to a Large BGE, is much more stable in the nest. If you are just moving your XL around on a paved patio I would never spend the retail money on a Handler. 
    My nest is coming up on 10 years old and it's seen better days but still works ok.
    If you have money to blow, go for it. But for the little distance you are moving your Egg I would not. Buy a bunch of nice steaks or an Adjustable Rig instead.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DexMcCain
    DexMcCain Posts: 3
    Dex here, new to the forum. I got a large green egg cypress table for Father's Day and just finally had time to finish it. I took advice from this forum and used mini-wax pre-wood conditioner, mini-wax provincial stain, and 4 coats of helmsman spar urethane.  Start to finish pics attached. I still have two questions:
    1) Should I have finished the underside of the table with the urethane? For the record, I did not, is this a big deal?  Egg and table will be under a covered metal patio in good ole Alabama.

2) I bought the table nest but wondering what type of stone should I use underneath it? I am a fan of using some type of stone even though I have the nest. Just wondering does it have to be fire brick or can I use a ceramic tile?

Cheers!

Dex

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited July 2015
    If you have some urethane left over, I would do at least 1 coat on the underside.
    Ceramic tile should work better than nothing. I'm using a porcelain tile under mine, but I also put in steel square tubing under that instead of wood.
    Put a second tile on top of the table to the right. Makes a good place to set hot stuff.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.