Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak

Options
$9.97 at Home Depot for the weekend here in Georgia.
Blue Ridge, GA

Comments

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    same here too...picked up a couple bags
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'll check, but frankly, I'm a LITTLE disappointed in RO.    Every bag has at least one piece of ceramic or stone in it.   Every bag has at least a couple pieces (not large ones) which are not filled 'coaled'.  Every bag I've gotten is composed of mainly small pieces.  A couple large chunks slip in by mistake and more in the medium, but overall?   Small rules.  
    I've got a bag of 'Frontier Brand' out in the garage.   I've started mixing it in with the RO in the outside container with good results.   Somewhat larger pieces, good burn an no wacky flavor additions.  

Maybe RO sends 2nd string stuff to California?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Begger said:
    I'll check, but frankly, I'm a LITTLE disappointed in RO.    Every bag has at least one piece of ceramic or stone in it.   Every bag has at least a couple pieces (not large ones) which are not filled 'coaled'.  Every bag I've gotten is composed of mainly small pieces.  A couple large chunks slip in by mistake and more in the medium, but overall?   Small rules.  
    I've got a bag of 'Frontier Brand' out in the garage.   I've started mixing it in with the RO in the outside container with good results.   Somewhat larger pieces, good burn an no wacky flavor additions.  

I'm in Ca- love RO, agree with the smaller pieces, seems mainly that is in the winter- Good results when they start moving product--last couple I bought I had to break down many that were way to big. I get a rock or two in each bag and go through 3-4 bags a month----when the pieces are real small, they get relegated for the chimney starter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Thanks, I may pick some up, I'm not really all that enthralled with it but it does the job.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Begger said:

Maybe. I am under the impression that Royal Oak is made at several different locations. Does anyone know where Royal Oak is actually made?  Is it possible that the different facilities may produce differing quality products?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• SmokeytheEGG
    SmokeytheEGG Posts: 149
    Options
    For the difference in price and availability I can live with a few imperfections. 
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    $9.99 at tractor supply yesterday for 17.6 pound bag

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC