Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Anybody Have a Vintage Stove?

I have a glass top piece of junk range in my kitchen.  I've been thinking about replacing it.  Recently I saw an old 1950's vintage stove in a farmhouse I was appraising and I really liked the look.  I've seen a handful on CL, but the really cool ones I've seen run over $300.  Am I alone on this?  Should I get my head examined? 
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Look does not equal function. I'm thinking induction. 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    I've seen a couple of the vintage looking stove/oven combo's on a couple of YouTube channels lately.  They look cool but I think if selling your house is in the not so distant future it's not a smart choice, you'd have to find the right buyer as most people want new modern.  I think a company or two are making new stoves with this look now.   A quick google search hits Elmira Stove Works and I think they're doing this.  Expensive units...
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • We're cheapskates.  I just like the look and as long as it worked...  Oh, unless I hit the Lotto, I'm not moving for the foreseeable future.
    Flint, Michigan
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    They are certainly "cool" nostalgically speaking. And depending on the age and make parts should be fairly readily available &/or easily retrofitted. Are you looking at gas or electric?  When that day comes to replace (which shouldn't be for many years) ours I'm with Jason @theyolksonyou and will likely pony up for a convection oven with induction smart cooktop. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2015
    I like gas, but Wilma likes electric.  So I'm looking at electrics.  I saw a 1950s Frigidaire with french oven doors on CL that's really cool.
    EDIT:  I also saw a CL ad for a Westinghouse for $100 the owner says works fine.  It's in a wonderful side of Flint.  The very cool Frididaire is 40 minutes away and almost $400.
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Since I got the BGE, they are all pretty much vintage now.
    I ain't sayin', just sayin'.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I need to check and see if my stove is still in the kitchen.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I prefer gas as well. Who'd be using it the most; you or Wilma? Otherwise, I think you should go with whatever fits your taste and budget. 

BTW, here's one that looks like it has a front load washer/dryer combo too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I prefer gas as well. Who'd be using it the most; you or Wilma? Otherwise, I think you should go with whatever fits your taste and budget. 

BTW, here's one that looks like it has a front load washer/dryer combo too!

That is a cool looking stove...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i think the gas would be easier to fix. would also want to make sure its setup for the gas you run, propane or natural, different nozzles are needed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Through my work I come across a lot of old gas rangetops - 1930s Wedgewoods, O'Keefe and Merritt, etc.

While they look cool they're much harder to clean, they take more energy to run - you can turn range pilots off, but not oven,  and lastly it is hard to find parts. The parts are no longer made and have to be refurbished, sometimes the parts can run $350 etc. To me they look cool, if maintenence is performed on them, but they're not worth it. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    edited June 2015
    When you said vintage I imagined something more like a wood fired oven. Then I remembered this bad ass braii I saw on another forum.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Let me add the really cool gas ones in good condition run much higher than $300, easily 3-5 times that. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    We looked at going vintage when we replaced our kitchen appliances.  My house was built in 1914 so I thought it would be cool. I talked with my realtor about it and she said stainless adds value, retro takes value away.  Vintage simply doesn't have the functionality the new ranges offer. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get a new one they have lots of nice features now. Ours just got dropped off today it has a built in griddle. May actually use it.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Fred I say get one and restore it for fun, maybe use it in the garage or outdoor kitchen but use it for fun. Dammit now I want one. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Me and Wilma are going to go look at this one tomorrow.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/app/5026279198.html

Flint, Michigan
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    We have a very old house, part of the basement was the original kitchen. I am going to get this restored for fun. Out of the picture is the coal shoot. Way back when, the kitchen was operated by the servants in the basement so as to not heat up the house in the summer.

In Maryland
  • That's got some age to it!  You know it's old when replacement parts need to be fabricated by a blacksmith.
    Flint, Michigan
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    That's got some age to it!  You know it's old when replacement parts need to be fabricated by a blacksmith.
    Yeah, the house was built in 1776, we are not sure if it is THE original, but it is really neat.
    In Maryland
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Where is that?  Warehouse 13?
    Previous house had an old vintage stove. The pilot always runs so it's good for letting home made bread rise. If you set the stove to 220 deg on the dial, you were +/- 1.5 degs. We wish we would have not included it in the house even today.

But for the record now that were 20 years away from selling the stove with the house, when we upgrade our kitchen ... convection is how we'll go.

If it's for fun do it otherwise get something current.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Most vintage stuff is fun, looks cool and is challenging to use.  If life is too easy to use modern appliances, go vintage!  You will experience idiosyncrasies like "the damn thing gets hot on the outside", "why is the kitchen so hot" and "stuff burns more in the back of the oven", but that just adds to the challenge and charm. 

Or, spend some bank and get a vintage looking modern range.  Like this: http://us.bertazzoni.com/products/heritage-series.

PS - avoid vintage electric ranges.

I like the vintage electrics. My aunt has a Kelvinator 4 burner range that is 48" wide. It has 24" oven and 24" warmer wiiith half of the cook top clean enamal. Sounds like Wilma is onside with replaceing the glass top POS, maybe I could arrnage a conference call with SWMBO. Damn I hate that glass top wonder. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    How about this old oven? I now use it to store my bge accessories. 
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• TigerTony said:
    What kind of oven has coat hooks on it?
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    YetiBob said:
    We have a very old house, part of the basement was the original kitchen. I am going to get this restored for fun. Out of the picture is the coal shoot. Way back when, the kitchen was operated by the servants in the basement so as to not heat up the house in the summer.

Cool!    This sounds like a very interesting house.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @TigerTony is that something you'd be willing to part with??
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    TigerTony said:
    What kind of oven has coat hooks on it?
    One that has a place to hang your oven mitts. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!