Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Replacements and Backup Egg?

Options
So I occassionally see guys using parts they have had replaced to assemble "back-up" eggs.

I understand the warranty deal and if it cracks BGE will replace it.  I also undersand keeping the new parts in the box until the old one becomes unusable (ala' fireboxes), but immediately swapping out the parts and building a back-up strikes me as shady.

BGE has great customer service.  Just because you can take advantage of that doesn't mean you should.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    No ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I agree, what some don't realize, when people take advantage of good warranties and service, it drives the price up for everyone else. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'm in 100% agreement. It is shady. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Do people really do this?  What with even a cracked base or dome?  Shady yes. And Bad Juju.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    Making dishonest warranty claims is a bigger problem I feel.  I envision a pile of damaged ceramic parts at a dealer and feel if someone wants to hobble together a unsafe cooker...go for it.  When you buy a second hand Egg and try to talk your way into a warranty part you have knowingly crossed a line.  To each their own.  

Don't do something in the daytime that will keep you up at night. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I don't even think shady is the right term but that could be my history of working retail talking.......
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I thought about buying new ceramic parts to go with my cracked ones to make a second egg. When the cracked ones break, then buying new replacements. That way i dont run afoul of the warranty and have no ethical issues come up. 

That said, i decided not to. I wouldnt want even the slightest inclination from anyone that i was gaming the system. Its a no win situation for me any way i look at it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,087
    Options
    DMW said:
    I duct taped mine together and sold it to the blind kid across the hall.

I feel kinda dirty for lol! At that.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Hahahahahaha 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    That's just wrong. Not to mention pretty obvious, right? They would have to make a large series of warranty claims to build a fully functioning egg. Seems like the dealer would have to catch wind of it sometime
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Completely agree.......shady.
    And Like @Mickey, I was in the car business for 30 years!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I call ****. 

I have never heard of this. I have heard of people keeping a part that has been replaced until full blown failure, but back up eggs seems far fetched.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i still have my first firebox and ring from way back waiting to go back in when my 12 piece firebox fails me =) good luck to anyone that wants to use my small base in a backup egg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    and for what its worth, i could have replaced the dome here as well, that big flake on the dome would really freak some out here =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I call ****. 

I have never heard of this. I have heard of people keeping a part that has been replaced until full blown failure, but back up eggs seems far fetched.

Hang around.  You will see it.  There is a thread on page 1 right now.  Using replaced parts with a few new ones to make a back-up egg.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Been thinking about this thread this morning.  If I pay retail from a dealer for an egg, for the express purpose of the warranty, then I would want defective parts replaced.  If I was happy with chips or cracks, I could save a lot and buy on CL.

I agree with Ozzie though, something about it doesn't feel right about cobbling together a Frankenstein, and I wouldn't do it.  My concern would be BGE seeing to many of these threads about Frankenstein eggs - followed by a crackdown on warranty parts.

On the other hand, creating a Frankenstein egg out of used parts is, I suppose, the business of the guy getting the warranty parts.  If BGE was concerned, they could ask for the parts to be brought in for exchange at local dealer.

Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    With my luck, I'd burn the house down with a piece milled cracked egg. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    If you are going to make a warranty claim, either give dealer the old broken part or throw it away. Don't keep using it and certainly don't build a 2nd egg or as give to someone else who could use who doesn't have warranty. Your new parts have warranty.. why keep the old??? 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Raymont
    Options

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Sameday
    Sameday Posts: 43
    Options
    They have a bin at the mothership by the front door for broken ceramic.  I assume it is for warranty items that people bring in.  Not sure if this is a new thing.  
  • Raymont
    Options
    I know.. That picture is painful to see.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This has got me thinking....  I hope it's not considered shady to repurpose my cracked XL base into a garden flower pot for herbs. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have a two piece fire ring that I won't file. Why?  I broke it when I turned my table over. Certainly wouldn't build a frankenegg
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2015
    Options
    This has got me thinking....  I hope it's not considered shady to repurpose my cracked XL base into a garden flower pot for herbs. 
    I think that is a good use.  If mine ever cracks thats my plan.  Granted I'm not the morality police, but that doesn't seem out of line.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Not only is that perfectly fine, but mothership may even replace any flowers that die in said planter.
    Phoenix