Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher paper question

kbutler84
kbutler84 Posts: 140
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I bought some butcher paper from hobby lobby (only place local that had it). It says food safe. However I was reading on some other forums and many were saying the butcher paper they use does not have a shiny/waxy side, whereas this stuff does. Am I good since it says it's good safe?  Don't want any weird flavor imparted to my brisket. 

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/jack-richeson-30-x-50-butcher-paper-roll-250837/

Comments

• kbutler84
    Thanks SGH, guess I'll have to order some online for next time. Since I don't have any butcher paper, would you recommend using foil or uncovered? This is only my second brisket cook. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    I wrapped my last brisket in brown paper grocery bags. It worked pretty well in a pinch. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    kbutler84 said:
    Thanks SGH, guess I'll have to order some online for next time. Since I don't have any butcher paper, would you recommend using foil or uncovered? This is only my second brisket cook. 
    Brother, I have never been real big on foil for brisket. In my opinion it adulterates the texture to much.  I prefer naked over foil. However this is just my preference. Many folks on the forum and else where like foil. However I do not when it comes to brisket. With that said, you may like it my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    I just got some butcher paper at sam's club for $16. It was 1000 ft x 18".  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I wrapped my last brisket in brown paper grocery bags. It worked pretty well in a pinch. 
    This^^^^^^^^ is basically the equivalent of using butcher paper.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    kbutler84 said:
    Butcher paper isn't required to cook a brisket...neither is foil.  Butcher paper was made popular by Aaron, who uses an offset, which is a harsher environment that what you have in the egg.

Try cooking it unwrapped and pull it off when it's done.  Let it cool on the counter for an hour or wrap after letting it cool a lil and hold for later.  

All that waxed butcher paper will be good for food prep so don't overlook using it that way.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • kbutler84
    Thanks for the tips everyone
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    @SGH @cazzy When FTCing with paper does it hold the temp as well as foiling?  If I wrapped my protein in foil and put in a cooler and I could hold for 6 hours, can I expect the same with paper?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    kbutler84 said:
    If you watch Franklin's video, he says he does not usually wrap in paper. I never wrap, the Egg is a FAR better smoker than what Aaron is using as far as ease of use and making superior product. It is just limited in its capacity compared to his mondo smokers. I think you will find if you build the fire right and manage the temps there is no need to wrap anything on the Egg.
    In Maryland
  • cazzy
    edited June 2015
    YetiBob said:
    kbutler84 said:
    If you watch Franklin's video, he says he does not usually wrap in paper. I never wrap, the Egg is a FAR better smoker than what Aaron is using as far as ease of use and making superior product. It is just limited in its capacity compared to his mondo smokers. I think you will find if you build the fire right and manage the temps there is no need to wrap anything on the Egg.
    Aaron always wraps at the restaurant, but wrapping definitely isn't a requirement on the egg.  The egg isn't even close to being a better smoker than an offset.  The depth of smoke flavor is FAR superior and so is the finished product.  Much more even cooking from convection, better and more natural bark due to the draft.  The egg is a good all around cooker, but it is not better at doing what an offset was designed to do...smoke with sticks.  I'm not talking about a **** $100 offset from the grocery store.  I'm referring to a well designed offset with a thick wall.  Ease of use is spot on, but it is not a FAR better smoker....
  • cazzy

@SGH @cazzy When FTCing with paper does it hold the temp as well as foiling?  If I wrapped my protein in foil and put in a cooler and I could hold for 6 hours, can I expect the same with paper?
    I've never FTCd with paper....sorry boss.
  • Thatgrimguy
    cazzy said:
    YetiBob said:
    kbutler84 said:
    Aaron always wraps at the restaurant, but wrapping definitely isn't a requirement on the egg.  The egg isn't even close to being a better smoker than an offset.  The depth of smoke flavor is FAR superior and so is the finished product.  Much more even cooking from convection, better and more natural bark due to the draft.  The egg is a good all around cooker, but it is not better at doing what an offset was designed to do...smoke with sticks.  I'm not talking about a **** $100 offset from the grocery store.  I'm referring to a well designed offset with a thick wall.  Ease of use is spot on, but it is not a FAR better smoker....
    I'm ordering a Shirley in the next 2 weeks. It'll lay waste to my egg!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • cazzy
    cazzy said:
    YetiBob said:
    kbutler84 said:
    His builds are nice...you'll love it.  The eggs still have their use...I miss mine and will get a mini or max for the house.  My vault has improved my product a ton, but it is a process to get it ready for cooking. 

One thing I left off above is the most obvious, but having a true indirect fire makes a huge difference too.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    cazzy said:
    YetiBob said:
    kbutler84 said:
    I'm offended and devastated now... 

Now, to be serious, you're 100% correct though Caz.  Some folks feel that they spent ample money on an Egg that they have it all and is the best tool, but not so much.  It's a great cooker, love mine to death, but not the best at smoking and getting a great smoke profile.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt

cazzy said:
    YetiBob said:
    kbutler84 said:
    You going to have a built-in for an Egg still or have you ditched that concept? 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    I was under the impression he wrapped in paper to hold primarily at the business, not to cook all of the time. The video is a little misleading if you are not familiar with him. I think he was trying to make the point that you should not get too nuts about it, but the paper gets a better result overall...... 

as for TarheelMatt - I have had my Egg long enough (20 years this winter) to know what it is good at and what it is great at. I am a gear head (it is an illness), I have a smokin it #3 smoker, a Superior SS2 gravity fed monster, a gasser weber, a kettle weber and a full blown Pizza Oven. I have no particular cultish fondness for any of them. I love them all! I am just saying I have made spectacular brisket with no foil, paper wrap or anything other than during my multi hour hold time in the Cambrio. As i die hard foodie, I just love it when it comes out right.
    In Maryland
  • cazzy
    YetiBob said:
    I was under the impression he wrapped in paper to hold primarily at the business, not to cook all of the time. The video is a little misleading if you are not familiar with him. I think he was trying to make the point that you should not get too nuts about it, but the paper gets a better result overall...... 

as for TarheelMatt - I have had my Egg long enough (20 years this winter) to know what it is good at and what it is great at. I am a gear head (it is an illness), I have a smokin it #3 smoker, a Superior SS2 gravity fed monster, a gasser weber, a kettle weber and a full blown Pizza Oven. I have no particular cultish fondness for any of them. I love them all! I am just saying I have made spectacular brisket with no foil, paper wrap or anything other than during my multi hour hold time in the Cambrio. As i die hard foodie, I just love it when it comes out right.
    That probably was the point he was trying to make and it was misleading.  I've made some great brisket unwrapped, so it definitely isn't a requirement.  Right now, paper is "the thing" after his book, but I can't stress enough that he is using a completely different cooking vessel and environment than we do.  

At his restaurant, paper is part of his recipe and wraps towards the end of the coom.  after he pulls it off and it cools, he holds the briskets in a CVAP at 140ish till they're served.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    cazzy said:
      Right now, paper is "the thing" after his book, 

You think he has stock in a paper company and is just trying to boost their revenue....
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• tarheelmatt
    YetiBob said:

Ight...

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    cazzy said:
    ...  The egg is a good all around cooker, but it is not better at doing what an offset was designed to do...smoke with sticks.  I'm not talking about a **** $100 offset from the grocery store.  I'm referring to a well designed offset with a thick wall.  Ease of use is spot on, but it is not a FAR better smoker....
    Nooooooooooooo!!!!!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    It's not all about just the quality of the food smoke flavor for me. I gave my KLOS offset smoker to my wife's kids when I got the egg XL because I was tired of having to fool with all the wood and keep the fire correct when cooking in wind or rain.  Also, my wife does not like heavy smoke so the egg is perfect unless I need more cooking space for company cooks. However, I agree that for pure low and slow smoking the KLOS offset could cook better smoke and bark flavor if managed correctly.  Each has his own idea like which is better Ford or Chevy?
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • cazzy
    SmyrnaGA said:
    cazzy said:
    ...  The egg is a good all around cooker, but it is not better at doing what an offset was designed to do...smoke with sticks.  I'm not talking about a **** $100 offset from the grocery store.  I'm referring to a well designed offset with a thick wall.  Ease of use is spot on, but it is not a FAR better smoker....
    Nooooooooooooo!!!!!
    I know the green kool-aid is tasty but I promise...it will be okay.   =)
  • cazzy
    edited June 2015
    GoldenQ said:
    It's not all about just the quality of the food smoke flavor for me. I gave my KLOS offset smoker to my wife's kids when I got the egg XL because I was tired of having to fool with all the wood and keep the fire correct when cooking in wind or rain.  Also, my wife does not like heavy smoke so the egg is perfect unless I need more cooking space for company cooks. However, I agree that for pure low and slow smoking the KLOS offset could cook better smoke and bark flavor if managed correctly.  Each has his own idea like which is better Ford or Chevy?
    Yeah....but comparing an egg to an offset isn't Ford vs Chevy.  Maybe a fuel hungry Ford F350 vs a Prius or Volt.  :tongue: 

Definitely a lot more work to run an offset so I understand why many don't want to tinker with it anymore.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    I'm getting it priced. But I think I have ditched the concept and instead having him add a storage area with a ramp that I can just wheel an XL in a nest and strap it down when I want the egg. That way I can wheel in a Pitmaker vault, my Blackstone griddle, a green egg, some deep fryers etc depending on the situation. Gives me more flexibility and still gives the option to bring an egg.

Like this guy. but with higher side walls on the non ramp sides.

• tarheelmatt
    I'm getting it priced. But I think I have ditched the concept and instead having him add a storage area with a ramp that I can just wheel an XL in a nest and strap it down when I want the egg. That way I can wheel in a Pitmaker vault, my Blackstone griddle, a green egg, some deep fryers etc depending on the situation. Gives me more flexibility and still gives the option to bring an egg.

Like this guy. but with higher side walls on the non ramp sides.

Cool!  Looking forward seeing what you get!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    "Just wheel" an XL up the ramp.  :o
  • Mike_M
    Mike_M Posts: 11
    edited September 2019
    Sorry if I missed it in this thread. Will parchment paper we use in the oven for baking work instead of butcher paper? 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    No
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston