Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Poutine

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
I didn't want to boil a quart of oil on a rainy day - too much of a chance for burning the digits when water droplets hit hot oil. I thought I could put some oil in a wok, get it hot, add some frozen fries (I know ice = water) and give it a go.

The wok has lots of surface area, so I spread the fries around as best I could, and of course the side next to the steel got brown. I did a lot of "stir frying", after all potatoes are a vegetable, and got pretty decent results.

Because it's easier, I just put some oil, water, beef base, and some leftover brisket in a sauce pan on the kitchen stove. Mixed some cold water and flour and set it aside.

Fries eventually cooked up, not like deep fried, more like oven fried with one or two crispy sides. Not a fail, since I plan to smother them in gravy anyway, they're not going to be crisp no matter how they're cooked.

On the gravy side, the leftover brisket was literally falling apart when stirred. Still had some chunks, but that brisket was giving its flavor up to the gravy in a most gratifying way. Add the flour and water, got a very nice brown out of it, got my wife to stir it while I went back out and added the cheese curds.

Tastes better than it looks - I'm pretty happy with it, but next time it won't be raining and I'll deep fry the taters.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Never had poutine. What's the white chunks?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Cheese curds
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    It's a Canadian thing.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have been to the Montreal area a few times and I love poutine.  Yours looks great! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

500 Posts: 3,177
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Love some poutine, done properly.  First time I had it was at this brewhouse called Taps on Queen in Niagara Falls.  I've yet to find poutine as good as that.  Tried versions of it at home and they have been good.  Yours looks tasty.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's funny.  I live in Québec, the origin of poutine, so poutine is everywhere.  The best I had was near Québec city on l'île d'Orléans; it was a foie gras poutine.

edited June 2015
    Options
    I suspect that many places double-fry the french fries.  They have that all over brown color like in @paqman 's pic.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    Options
    @SmokeyPitt the fries in my pics were double fried in duck fat.  Duck fat is awesome for making fries. 

Options
    paqman said:
    @SmokeyPitt the fries in my pics were double fried in duck fat.  Duck fat is awesome for making fries. 
    Awesome.  If I ever try to make at home I am getting some duck fat. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Trés Bien! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    paqman said:
    Did not know this. Couple of years ago I deep fried over 60 plain wings that were going to be tossed in Buffalo sauce. In my little 5 liter fryer it took 3 or 4 runs. The next batch of fries had a fantastic crunch and taste. I chalked it up to the chicken fat and vegetable oil mix in the fryer. @paqman - do you need "full strength" duck fat?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • paqman
    Options
    @Skiddymarker I know they use pure duck fat, not sure if mixing with vegetable would work. I personally use canola oil for deep frying.  However,  I use duck fat when I fry "grelot" potatoes in a pan and it is much better than oil or butter. 

edited June 2015
    Options
    FYI - costco in my area carries cheese curds.  

The other day in a thread, I listed a few things that were uniquely Canadian.  How could I have forgotten poutine?!

I make it every few months, I think it's time.

ot - was in RD yesterday and picked up a 7"spider (for deep frying) and got it for under 6$ and it's very well made - thought I'd share.
    Phoenix 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    paqman said:
    @Skiddymarker I know they use pure duck fat, not sure if mixing with vegetable would work. I personally use canola oil for deep frying.  However,  I use duck fat when I fry "grelot" potatoes in a pan and it is much better than oil or butter. 
    @paqman - my fryer has whatever is on sale in it, might even be corn oil today. The grelot trend is not that big here yet, we do have some very good fingerlings, which depending on the variety, can be similar - the way I understand it. 
    I usually fry fingerlings in a pan with either home made clarified or Desi Ghee rather than butter or oil - guess the next step up is duck fat. Thanks again!
    (last year it was grilled Romaine, this year duck fat fried spuds - when is your book coming out? =)