Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone 36" Griddle is LEGIT

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Looking great @hotch .  I have an IR and can easily get it over 400 nearly to 500. It gets hot enough to make the rice pop like popcorn when making fried rice.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Well done with the onions. Now the bacon is next in the morning if the weather is good. 
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Does someone have pics of the stainless steel version? 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    rcone said:
    Does someone have pics of the stainless steel version? 
    google is your friend!  :tongue: 

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    a stock photo and one that has been used a bit is a little different. 

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • Thatgrimguy
    That bacon shot is awesome!!!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I hope you have your cardiologist on speed dial....
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Hotch

@Thatgrimguy Well you had mentioned that the bacon would be the last of the seasoning. And as @EggObsessed always says "Why do when you can OVER DO!!"

Next up was the hash browns. These were some dehydrated I got from Costco. Not the best I think.

Next came the griddle cakes, these were fantastic.

Then there are these 2 happy guys.

Let me just say a BIG thanks to @Thatgrimguy for the nudge to jump in and get wet. If I am ever within 500 miles of your place, I am stopping by to shake you hand.

It is a lot of fun, Now my head is spinning with a million ideas of what to cook.

I think the next butt I do, I am going to try to make pulled pork burgers. Just think about it. 16 Hrs on the Egg. Then patty them up for another 20 min on the griddle. And top each with an over easy Egg on a toasted bun with a swatch of bacon jam.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    rcone said:

Lol what else do you want to see?  Nobody seems to have it here so Google is your only friend at this point.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Thatgrimguy
    I haven't done hash browns yet.  I LOVE waffle house hash browns. I wonder if I can get my hands on some of those bad boys.
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    @Thatgrimguy can get the dehydrated hashbrowns like waffle house uses at costco
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    @Hotch:  That looks like an outstanding breakfast.  There's nothing better than breakfast cooked outside.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    BYS1981 said:
    As mentioned by @SGH natural gas is delivered in many places at 7.0" water column, which translates to 1/4lb psi. I highly recommend NOT just connecting to a natural gas line, but I would see if they make it as natural gas or if you can buy a conversion kit.  

You probably could get 4 solid orifices and drill them out to the appropriate MTD size, but if done incorrectly the gas/air mixture won't be correct. If the mixture is incorrect the byproducts will include carbon monoxide instead of water and carbon dioxide, so it is hazardous if not done properly.
    You should also be able to get a convertible regulator for the back of griddle and set it for the proper water column. LP gas is at a higher pressure so you should be able to drill out the smaller holes on current orifice to match what it is supposed to be on natural gas. If anyone can find out BTU's of burner and what pressure natural gas is on the griddle, I can get the orifice size/drill bit needed.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited June 2015
    I would just like to take this opportunity to blame the forum for my out-of-control spending  and future divorce. It looks like I have to add yet another toy after logging into this thread thread thanks guys
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I believe this is relatively new to those that have posted their new Blackstone....does anyone have any rusting issues?  Just read a review from a guy in FL that reports he oiled his Blackstone properly but in about 2 to 3 weeks it began to rust.  Living in SC, I'm now a bit concerned with our humid climate.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hotch
    Yes my neighbor had one given to him. Used it some and set it back. Not sure how long but went to use it and was rusted bad. These do require some maintenance . You need to oil it up after it cools down every time you use it. Doesn't really take that much, just need to get in the routine.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    I just got back from vacation and I had it under the cover for about 8 days.  I had some rust when I took the cover off.  I used several cans in a row to make a "peak" but I suspect some water still got through.  The cooking surface wasn't bad but there are some spots on the sides and the griddle legs that will probably need some steel wool.  To be fair I didn't really season the sides, bottom, and legs.  

Honestly this was kind of a bummer because so far I have spent more time maintaining it than cooking on it...and now I have more work to do before I can cook on it again.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    I have had my Blackstone for nearly a year including 1 Michigan winter under inches of snow.  No rust on legs or sides, a little water collected on the griddle through cover from melting snow...just paper towel to soak up the water, no rust on the griddle.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    cazzy said:
    rcone said:

Lol what else do you want to see?  Nobody seems to have it here so Google is your only friend at this point.  
    Duh.. Buy one for him, use it, and then post a picture.  Don't you get it?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    4Runner said:
    I believe this is relatively new to those that have posted their new Blackstone....does anyone have any rusting issues?  Just read a review from a guy in FL that reports he oiled his Blackstone properly but in about 2 to 3 weeks it began to rust.  Living in SC, I'm now a bit concerned with our humid climate.   
    He didn't season it properly. That's the only way this happens. I live in one of the most humid areas in the country. Granted mine's new, but it's just impossible. I kept my Baking steel outside for 2 years with no rust just by keeping it properly oiled.

If you aren't vigilant cleaning food off the griddle, it will rust. If you don't season properly to start with, it will rust. If after cleaning it you don't add a thin layer of oil, it will rust. If you leave it covered and don't touch it for a few months, it will rust. If you do these things and keep it covered (using an upside down aluminum pan to keep the cover off the top) It will not rust.
  • Thatgrimguy
    I make sure to rub every side of the flat top down. So far I have used my griddle every other day. I think I went 2 days once since I bought it without using it.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    cazzy said:
    rcone said:

Duh.. Buy one for him, er me
    I'd sign up for his 
  • Thatgrimguy
    I just got back from vacation and I had it under the cover for about 8 days.  I had some rust when I took the cover off.  I used several cans in a row to make a "peak" but I suspect some water still got through.  The cooking surface wasn't bad but there are some spots on the sides and the griddle legs that will probably need some steel wool.  To be fair I didn't really season the sides, bottom, and legs.  

Honestly this was kind of a bummer because so far I have spent more time maintaining it than cooking on it...and now I have more work to do before I can cook on it again.  
    What was the last thing you cooked on it? Was it something acidic?

I didn't season anything but the flat top. but I did season it all over. top bottom and sides  (bottom, we just held it up and sprayed with pam)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

I didn't season anything but the flat top. but I did season it all over. top bottom and sides  (bottom, we just held it up and sprayed with pam)
    The last thing I cooked was some texas toast as a side for a rib cook (which was awesome by the way).  I don't think I have cooked anything acidic on it.  it has pretty much been some form of buttered bread, bacon, potatoes, and grilled chicken. 

I was reading the manual and it does come with some seasoning from the factory.  Mine was already assembled and I'm not sure how long it was sitting at home depot so maybe all the factory seasoning on the sides and legs has gone.  I will try getting the rust off then hitting it with some PAM on the bottom.  It is just the little "legs" on the flat top that are showing signs of rust (not the powder coated frame). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    There is a custom griddle top maker that recommends painting all the outside surfaces of his tops with 1200 degree stove paint and the season the cooking surfaces.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy

The last thing I cooked was some texas toast as a side for a rib cook (which was awesome by the way).  I don't think I have cooked anything acidic on it.  it has pretty much been some form of buttered bread, bacon, potatoes, and grilled chicken. 

I was reading the manual and it does come with some seasoning from the factory.  Mine was already assembled and I'm not sure how long it was sitting at home depot so maybe all the factory seasoning on the sides and legs has gone.  I will try getting the rust off then hitting it with some PAM on the bottom.  It is just the little "legs" on the flat top that are showing signs of rust (not the powder coated frame). 
    Well buttered toast surely shouldn't have done it!!  I did some fajitas with tomatoes and it ate some of seasoning off where I didn't clean the top very well. But, with some heat and oil it was cleaned up in a minute or less

All the heat from the burners is going to eat up the seasoning on the bottom. I just looked and I have some rust spots on the little feet too. I don't think I'll worry about it though.  
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    It is metal, it will rust.  I will probably just spend the necessary coin to replace the cook top when it is so rusty that it is unusable.  Or, I will spend another 229 when another one is needed like in 10 years.  I live in a very arid environment here in the desert that is the state of Utah, so rust is less of a concern, but I can sympathize with those that live in more humid climates.
  • 4Runner
    Thanks for the information.  Looks like a just need to use it and get in a good maintenance routine.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • 4Runner
    edited July 2015
    Just got mine assembled and first coat of flaxseed oil applied and bonded. Cooling down now.  My hot area is a good size circle dead center.  Pretty much was running at 500.  The sides are cooler and in general the front runs hotter than back.  This is going to be fun.   

First coat.