Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Double R Ranch cowboy ribeye

Options
Im currently thawing one of these bad boys out. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Let us know when cook it
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Cowboy ribeye.......mmmmmmmmmm
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Gonna cook it sunday, reverse sear, going 110 degrees internal temp. What grill temp should i use for indirect and what kind of time am i looking at to get the internal temp where i want? 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Ahhh, you so set us up. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Hahahaha im thawing the beast out right now. 

• milesvdustin
    Options

• milesvdustin
    Options
    T minus four hours to steak time!!!! 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Seasoned with a touch of oil, kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Also made some ABT's, stuffed with cheddar and seasoned with some coffee rub. Peppers are off my plants in the backyard. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Everything is getting happy at 300 degrees indirect. Taking the steak to 110 internal, planning on a 90 second sear each side. I have the spider in there with the small grate from my smokey joe silver on it, about 1" on top of the charcoal. 

• Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Looks great!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Wow!  Can't wait to see this finish.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    ABTs were amazing, definitely recommend coffee rub on them. 

The steak just came off the sear and is now resting.

• milesvdustin
    Options

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Halfway in. Delicious, but not as good as the hype. After the rest i was 130 internal temp. 

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That looks great! Nice sear on that bad boy. Now I want steak lol
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    It was good, but for 130 degrees on my thermapen i was very disappointed. I expected a much redder interior, like i get on other steaks at 130. Albeit thinner.  I wont be wasting 70 bucks on this again, too much hype for the actual end product. 

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    That sucks man. Yeah I would say its more on the medium rare side? I mean other than the color, what was wrong, not as juicy as expected?
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Looks good from here. I'm confused though...you overlook your steak and blame the taste on the hype?  Also, I haven't seen hype on the RR.  Only the SRF Wagyu. Not trying to irritate at all...  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
      I wont be wasting 70 bucks on this again, too much hype for the actual end product. 
    Sounds like some of the dates I had years ago.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    No, i have had many steaks cooked more well than this one and tasted great. This steak was delicious, but not worth 70 bucks. Yeah, i cooked it a near perfect medium rare, which is what i shoot for on regular steaks. This steak, i should have gone 10-15 degrees less for a solid rare, to get what i wanted

@4Runner, where did i say i overcooked it? I said i wanted a med rare steak, i hit 130 degrees which is the low end of the scale for that temp, and it was still overcooked. Obviously an issue with the meat. 

If my thermapen is off calibration i would be surprised. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    No, i have had many steaks cooked more well than this one and tasted great. This steak was delicious, but not worth 70 bucks. Yeah, i cooked it a near perfect medium rare, which is what i shoot for on regular steaks. This steak, i should have gone 10-15 degrees less for a solid rare, to get what i wanted

@4Runner, where did i say i overcooked it? I said i wanted a med rare steak, i hit 130 degrees which is the low end of the scale for that temp, and it was still overcooked. Obviously an issue with the meat. 

If my thermapen is off calibration i would be surprised. 
    When you stated you expected a more red center and then above you stated "it was still overcooked"   That is why I was confused.   If it is overcooked, that is one issue.  If it is cooked to one's liking and still not as good as expected, could be the meat.   For example, I can tell a huge difference between my cheapo SAM's ribeyes and Fresh Market's premium choice ribeyes for sure.  Seasoned the same and cooked to a perfect med rare.  FM is hand's down tastier and more tender.  

I've never had the RR but I have had experience with SRF customer service and they are second to none.  If you are unhappy with their product, I would let them know.  May not get anything but an apology but they deserve the feedback.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree with what @4runner said about letting them know. I did a RR cowboy Ribeye for our anniversary in March and it was hands down the best steak either of us had ever tried, and we eat a LOT of steak. I seared on CI first and then went indirect, but still. Yours looks perfect to me. If it's really "not worth 70 bucks" tell them. After eating ours I would have paid double...and have for meat not nearly as good.

Anyway, it all looks great from here. Thanks for posting
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Im gonna try some of the srf kobe ribeye filets next go round. I guess i was expecting much more for as much talk as they get around here. If i had it to cook again, i would have shot for 120 or so internal temp. My go to temp is 130, so thats where i went with this one. It just seemed to lack the tenderness i usually expect from a prime cut. 

• YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    Not to be capt obvious, but did you rest those at room temp for at least an hour before Egging? Yes, the internal temp got a tad high but they still should have been damn good.
    In Maryland
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great from here.  I understand what you mean about the hype...sometimes it is hard to live up to.  I usually shoot to finish mine right around 130 after rest as well.  The color looks right to me for a 130 finish.  

YetiBob said:
    Not to be capt obvious, but did you rest those at room temp for at least an hour before Egging? Yes, the internal temp got a tad high but they still should have been damn good.
    When doing a reverse sear resting at room temp is completely unnecessary. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    It looks great from here.  I understand what you mean about the hype...sometimes it is hard to live up to.  I usually shoot to finish mine right around 130 after rest as well.  The color looks right to me for a 130 finish.  

YetiBob said:
    I disagree, room temp is important to all short meat cooking. The closer it starts out to the final temp, the less stress is put on the fibers and the more tender it is.
    In Maryland
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I absolutely rested at room temp for over an hour before grill time. I always do, even with cheap steaks. I feel like it makes a big difference in the final product. Less moisture loss i feel. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2015
    Options
    YetiBob said:

YetiBob said:
    I disagree, room temp is important to all short meat cooking. The closer it starts out to the final temp, the less stress is put on the fibers and the more tender it is.
    You do know that science has completely disproven this theory right?

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_letting_meat_come_to_room_temp.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/09/steak-myths/
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    YetiBob said:

YetiBob said:
    You do know that science has completely disproven this theory right?

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_letting_meat_come_to_room_temp.html

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/06/the-food-lab-7-old-wives-tales-about-cooking-steak.html

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/09/steak-myths/
    Meh...science also claims the world is round...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker