Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uncovered egg

Options
I live in West Texas and was just woke up to a really really bad thunderstorm that wasn't in the forecast.  I just realized that my egg wasn't covered.  Risking life and limb, I ran out in the rain and horrendous bolts of lightening, dramatic huh, and pulled my egg under the patio.  My question finally is this. I haven't hurt my egg have I?  Also is there anything I need to do to it?  I dried the dome off.  I feel like I left a child outside or something. #dumbweatherman
Midland, TX XLBGE

Comments

• MrWigan
    MrWigan Posts: 104
    Options

Firstly, you sir, did the right thing!  I know the term hero is thrown around these days but sometimes it is well deserved.

Secondly unless you have cracked anything by dragging it or have an iron table that rusts then you should be fine.  These things are pretty tough.

Large BGE, Mini Max

Wigan, UK

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've never covered mine and a wet rag will make it look like the day I brought it home.  They're fine to sit out.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    It's made to be outdoors. Don't sweat it. Would you run out in the rain to cover your deck?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Weather will not hurt the egg; although I'm not so sure that a good ol' fashion West Texas sand storm won't leave a mark!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I am in Maryland. It gets over 100 degrees here in the summer and below zero in the winter. In the 19 years I have had my Large Egg, I have gone through two wood tables and one Lawn Ranger Custom Handle as well as countless cooks. last year I built a stainless steel table for it, it has always been outside, I use it year round, I have never covered it. It is no worse for the wear at all.
    In Maryland
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Ok that's great news guys. Thank you so much. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ha ha. Egg #1 has been outside for 10 years uncovered. 5 yrs in WI and 5 in TX. all completely unsheltered from the elements. We had a hail storm a few months ago that stripped the paint off the back of my house and pounded all 3 of my cars. $50,000 damage to my house including the deck the eggs are sitting on. both my eggs were just fine. My other egg is 2 years old and you can barely tell the difference between the 2. They are tough.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you have a better chance of tumpng your egg over and breaking it when moving it around in a panic than a storm hurting it. I think I've seen a few blow over on here but mine have been through some hellacious weather and they don't have a scratch on them.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Or your dog could knock it over....  :s
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Or your dog could knock it over....  :s
    Wow, nice flashback..
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I know right.  I rolled it in under the patio,  dried it off, dried myself off, went back to to bed.  Woke up this morning with a very pissed off and very wet cat outside.  oops.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I think you have the makings of  tv movie of the week - possibly a mini series even...

Jk.  I did the same thing last night in a thunderstorm with my tablesaw.  It actually could make americas funniest home videos.  Me stumbling around my yard in the storm, cursing in my boxer shorts...
    Phoenix 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    The last few cooks have been low-n-slows all in a row ... and the weather has been extremely wet with high humidity for the last month.  Yesterday I did a reverse sear on some extra thick pork chops.  When I ran the temp up to 600 degrees, the dome of the egg literally started to rain water out through the ceramic glaze.

Your egg already has lots of moisture soaked into the ceramic, it comes and goes based on which cook you're doing.  As others have mentioned, they're tougher than you think.

Now, as to the cat ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,896
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Though rain, snow, and sun won't bother my ceramic eggs I know that they will affect the wooden table I made for them so I cover mine. That might be the reason it has lasted all these years and still looks good.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.