Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Cap v1 vs. v2

Options
I've been using the original SmokeWare Chimney Cap for a few months now, and it's great. It might take a little longer to snuff the fire out (though I have no empirical evidence that it does), but the convenience over the combination of the BGE ceramic cap and daisy wheel makes it a no-brainier. Plus, it's practically 100% stainless steel. Nothing stainless steel can be bad.

I found out today that SW has developed the next version of Cap. This one has angled slots for improved low-temp airflow control, and a slightly different dome shape. Well... I've been experiencing a little temperature creep while using the Cap with my CyberQ, where I never had issues with the OEM stuff, so I started to consider purchasing v2. I spoke to Matt at SW today and explained. He suggested I close the Cap completely and let the fan do the work. Then I remembered there's a colleague of mine at work who's been coveting my SW Cap, since I showed him photos of my setup. I decided to pull the trigger on the new Cap, along with a Flat Cap (despite the fact it's for "purists" =) ) and just sell the clean v1 Cap to my buddy.

Does anyone have any experience with the v2 Cap? Mine is on the way, but I thought I'd start a thread for discussion. The differences might be minimal, but, hey... miring in the minutia of Egging is what we do here.
LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I bought 2 of the new ones today along with flat caps for both.  I did not like the old one because of the temp creep. Hope these perform better as I have always liked the idea behind these. If not, I'll find a good home for them and go back to the daisy. I'm in the minority but I actually like the daisy setup. Guess that's how I learned to do it and it's very natural to me. I can dial it in within 10 degrees without thinking about it. I'm always up for something new though so we'll see.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    since shipping to me in canada is redonk I'm going to modify the old style cap I already have.  Shouldn't be to hard to add an extra chunk of metal to it to do the same thing and then save me some dough at the same time.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I haven't used my new one yet, but here's a shot of what they look like. The cap in the forefront looks bigger than it is due to the camera shot.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    Question..... once the bottom portion of the cap in installed does this mean you can no longer use the BGE ceramic cap?
    Cary NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    jad said:
    Question..... once the bottom portion of the cap in installed does this mean you can no longer use the BGE ceramic cap?
    you can remove it very easily. just pulls right off

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    ok thanks... I thought maybe by pulling the bottom on and off you may damage the felt which in turn would ruin the seal 
    Cary NC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    RRP said:
    I haven't used my new one yet, but here's a shot of what they look like. The cap in the forefront looks bigger than it is due to the camera shot.

Hey Ron, is the fit between the top and bottom sections tighter than the original? 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:

Hey Ron, is the fit between the top and bottom sections tighter than the original? 
    Yes! But my first one was never all that loose. I think Matt may have gotten an intermediate batch that were a bit sloppy and unfortunately those were the ones that got mentioned - not the ones like mine that were not a problem!
  • DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    Options
    My v1 bottom is a tight fit. I haven't removed the bottom section since installing it. The top fits well enough to extinguish the coals when shut. I really couldn't say how long it takes in comparison to the ceramic lid.

@RRP, the other thread where you posted those photos is where I noticed the differences between v1 and v2. You're the cause of yet another BGE expenditure... not that I needed the help.  B)

P.S. - thanks for the help with the Rutland gasket today.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Guess I don't need the 2nd version as the 1st works great on my eggs. I like @RRP don't have a problem with them being loose. And when doing a low and slow using a guru I have the cap almost closed and let the fan push the air like Matt said to do.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    Options

P.S. - thanks for the help with the Rutland gasket today.
    My pleasure! BTW PP has notified me and I thank you!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I have both.  They both work well.  The newer is more shiny but I'm thinking that will fade with time.   :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    since shipping to me in canada is redonk I'm going to modify the old style cap I already have.  Shouldn't be to hard to add an extra chunk of metal to it to do the same thing and then save me some dough at the same time.
    Hey @bigalsworth. You might want to check out Dicksons BBQ in Ontario. They sell them.
    GWN
  • RRP
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I have both.  They both work well.  The newer is more shiny but I'm thinking that will fade with time.   :)
    Maybe, but it seems like the manufacturing process of the dome is different. I believe my first was probably formed hot and stamped into shape. My second one looks like it may have been spun into shape. I do know the single time I cleaned my first one I used  HD Easy Off oven cleaner and no elbow grease and it cleaned up like brand new! 
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Hey @bigalsworth. You might want to check out Dicksons BBQ in Ontario. They sell them.
    That is an option for sure but I guess it's not just the shipping but rebuying something I already have.  I have not had any problems with overnight low n slows yet but if I do I can easily modify it myself for 30¢
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Totally crazy but you know what works great? The DFMT that comes with the egg.
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@Lit imagine that....huh?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    LOL - I wonder why you would say that! If you agree to pay the postage to ship my Large and Small cast iron POS DFMT I will gladly send them to you!!! Otherwise those POS and any other rusted POS egg are going in the trash FRIDAY! OK?  Please send me a PM with your name and address! 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    So does my gasser but I upgraded that too. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    LOL - I wonder why you would say that! If you agree to pay the postage to ship my Large and Small cast iron POS DFMT I will gladly send them to you!!! Otherwise those POS and any other rusted POS egg are going in the trash FRIDAY! OK?  Please send me a PM with your name and address! 
    He doesn't even cook on eggs anymore!  Just being a smartass. 
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    Ron where in the world did you get the idea that I work for BGE? I say more negative stuff about my eggs than positive. I obviously have DFMT for all my eggs why would I pay for you to ship yours? I used the smoke ware caps at a couple fests I cooked at and couldn't stand them. I know exactly how to set the DFMT to get the temp I want and the DFMT work perfectly why would you say they are a POS? You really confuse me from all your posts you sound kinda cheap but then you buy $30 caps that are not needed or any better than what comes with the egg.
  • Lit
    Options
    RRP said:
    Lit said:
    He doesn't even cook on eggs anymore!  Just being a smartass. 
    I am gonna cook pizzas at the pool this weekend on the MM. I have never understood the smokeware cap and I have used it. Just something that is not needed. 
  • Lit
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Please explain how the smokeware is an upgrade? It's a vent. They both have holes to vent right? I take my DFMT off and put it in the egg after the cook and put my matching top on. You leave a weird non matching mushroom looking thing on your egg. I might have been more receptive if I wasn't so familiar with the DFMT prior but I see no reason to start over now.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Lit said:
    4Runner said:
    Please explain how the smokeware is an upgrade? It's a vent. They both have holes to vent right? I take my DFMT off and put it in the egg after the cook and put my matching top on. You leave a weird non matching mushroom looking thing on your egg. I might have been more receptive if I wasn't so familiar with the DFMT prior but I see no reason to start over now.
    Why bother explaining the benefits if you already know you don't like it.  Why bother posting on this thread if you have no intentions of answering the ops post?
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• DeltaNu1142
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @bigalsworth...posting the truth, so I don't have to.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    4Runner said:
    Why bother explaining the benefits if you already know you don't like it.  Why bother posting on this thread if you have no intentions of answering the ops post?
    To give another opinion. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Sounds like the DFMT gets as much love as the confederate flag these days...
  • DeltaNu1142
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Lit said:
    To give another opinion.
    While I appreciate any & all opinions, there is the matter of forum etiquette. I started this thread to gather opinions from people using one version of SW chimney cap or the other. I didn't ask about the daisy wheel, nor did I ask about which minivan would be better for my growing family or which shampoo everyone uses. That's what's great about these threads... they have titles, right there at the top, so no one has to suffer the embarrassment of stumbling in & spouting off non sequiturs.

If there are guys in here interested in chiming in on products they have no interest in using, might I direct you to a forum on tampons? I can provide you with links using Google, if you'd like. I don't know them myself because I don't visit them; I don't have anything worthwhile to, ahem, contribute.

Happy Egging! Now back to the thread topic.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    To give another opinion.
    While I appreciate any & all opinions, there is the matter of forum etiquette. I started this thread to gather opinions from people using one version of SW chimney cap or the other. I didn't ask about the daisy wheel, nor did I ask about which minivan would be better for my growing family or which shampoo everyone uses. If there are guys in here interested in chiming in on products they have no interest in using, might I direct you to a forum on tampons? I can provide you with links using Google, if you'd like. I don't know them myself because I don't visit them; I don't have anything worthwhile to, ahem, contribute.

Happy Egging! Now back to the thread topic.
    forum etiquette. That's funny. You post an off topic thread about a 3rd party item in the main forum then bring up etiquette.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    This isn't the first thread to venture off course and surely won't be the last. Simmer down folks.