Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can't get temp needed

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had the BGE for five months. I've tried getting the temp to 600 or 700 degrees without success. I've tried more lump charcoal / less lump charcoal I've even placed a fan in front of it. [p]Sometimes when I put wood chips on it will raise it 550 for a brief time. [p]Any suggestions

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Mark W.,[p]A big Egg with a full load of lump (up to the bottom of the fire ring) and an unplugged lower coal grate should easily hit 1000* and beyond. Check the grate for blockages and also, has you calibrated your thermometer lately?[p]K~G

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    Mark W.,[p] What size BGE do you have? Do you stir up the coal beofre lighting to make sure the holes in the firebox and grate are open? What kind of charcoal are you using? Are you using a top (if you want to get above 600F, you should leave the top completely uncovered)? Have you tried a different thermometer (I had one that got stuck at 600 until I thumped it a little)? Give us a bit more info and I'm sure we'll be able to help . . .[p]MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    lump2.jpg
    <p />Mark W.,[p]This is not a full load but it should be able to easily hit 700 deg with the top off and bottom vent open. It will take 20-25 min if you start it on top. Pictured is with a piece of fireplace log as a starter. I now prefer the Webber fire cubes. Fill the firebox to atleast this much ever time you cook anything. Fill more for long cooks.[p]Tim
  • Mark W.,
    Did you check the calibration on the thermometer?

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Mark W., check out the link - it contains previous posts that address the same question - in addition to the items already posted, it is extremely important that the hole in the lower firebox line up perfectly with the lower vent door. Good luck!

[ul][li]BGE Fires[/ul]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Mark W.,
    As General Patton would say, "stop whinning son, or I will shoot you myself". Just kidding. My 2cents worth,, be sure you have the bottom vent wide open, the top wide open (or nearly, depending on what temp you want),, and make sure your thermometer is reading correct. I have taken mine well over 1000 many times. Once I even set fire to my wooden table due to the intense heat radiating from Mr. Humpty's skin. The EGG is like a jet engine,,, the faster it goes, the faster it will go. Just be careful when it gets to those super-heats. You could lose eyebrows, lashes, chest hair, and left arm hair when you peek in. <Gen. Patton would say>-"now get back to your post and kick them coals butts"[p]It will go over 1000. Just let the good air in and the bad air out......[p]