Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribeye on!

Options
22 ounce Ribeye rubbed with Cowlick and smoked at 250 with a apple chunk until 118/120 with the CI in then pulled the steak and got the CI to 550/600 and put the steak back on with a pat of butter for 2 minutes a side served with some veggies, my thermo pen said 142/144 when I sliced it which is 10 degrees to much for me ( wife's fav and loved it ) tasted great however with all recent Ribeye posts I almost didn't post because how good all the other post looked. Love the crust rendered on the CI
Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    22 ounce Ribeye rubbed with Cowlick and smoked at 250 with a apple chunk until 118/120 with the CI in then pulled the steak and got the CI to 550/600 and put the steak back on with a pat of butter for 2 minutes a side served with some veggies, my thermo pen said 142/144 when I sliced it which is 10 degrees to much for me ( wife's fav and loved it ) tasted great however with all recent Ribeye posts I almost didn't post because how good all the other post looked. Love the crust rendered on the CI

• YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    I get what you are saying about the temps got a little high, but HOLY COW that looks AMAZING! What crust! WOW!
    In Maryland
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @Grillmagic .. I like your CI pan ... where and how much?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Looking good ...

Noticed what looks like a direct/indirect rig in the egg ... yes?  I've wondered about using a spider with the CI skillet down on the spider.  That would give the CI plenty of time to get very hot while serving as an indirect "stone" to bring the steak up to a pre-sear level. What are your thoughts.

I use a cheap Weber grill on my spider with a PSWoo2 and platesetter in the egg.  Cook the steak indirect (dome at 300) to a pre-sear temp; pull the Woo, plate setter, and steak as a unit; then open the vents fully.  Takes less than four minutes to hit 600 degrees plus.  Throw the steak on the Weber down next to the coals and give it about one minute per side.  I have a 13" CI grill due in the next BGE delivery to my dealer ... couldn't stand not trying one.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Jeepster47 He has the AngL brackets from Ceramic grill store. http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/ang-l-brackets-pair-xl/
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    That crusty goodness!
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Grillmagic .. I like your CI pan ... where and how much?

Hey Tim It's a Lodge, 16inch at the bottom 17 inch at the top and it was cheap from Amazon 60/70 dollars and will hold 9/10 Hamburgers at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    That's a winner!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga