Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Santa Maria Tri Tip ~ on the Big Green Egg (heavy pictures)

Options
SoCalTim
SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
Growing up in Santa Maria - this is how we did it, sans the Big Green Egg ...

Ingredients : Granulated Garlic - Lawry's Seasoned Salt, course black pepper, olive oil.

No measurements needed, use enough to cover the meat. First, I rinsed the tri tip off with water and dry with paper towels. Second, rub the oil all over the meat. The olive oil helps the spices stick to the tri tip. Third, sprinkle on the seasonings. Start with the garlic, get a lot on there. This is the base ingredient to a perfect tri tip. Next, add the seasoned salt, finally the pepper.

In the next phase, the grilling process is just as important as the ingredients. Authentic tri tip is grilled directly over high heat with red oak coals. I don't have a tri tip bbq, so I use my egg to duplicate the process.

For true Santa Maria style, I use chunks of red oak.

I forward sear my tri tip. I get my egg to about 600-650 degrees. 6 minutes, flip then an additional 5 minutes. I make sure the sides get seared also - nice and black.

Next step is to pull the tri tip, the temp of the meat will be approx 95 degrees - right on target. I then add the plate setter, at this time the temp will have dropped below 400 degrees ... target temp is approx 350.

My target temp is approx 135 ... so i flip the tip at about 120. The finished product is amazing, the seared bark keeps the inside of the tip sooo tender, I know alot of people like their tip in the 115 range, so make adjustments accordingly.
an

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    THAT is one helleva sandwich. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @THEBuckeye  ... the Tri Tip was so tender, when I bit into the sandwich - there was absolutely no pull. Almost like a hot knife thru butter.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Tbla
    Tbla Posts: 57
    Options
    Nice job.  My mouth is watering.   Thanks for the tips.  
    Woodbury, MN.   LBGE, Weber gasser, ECB
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Beautiful tri tip.  Well done sir.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    @SoCalTim, your singing my song, can't hardly beat that tri tip.  Best sandwich around.  Though tonight I'll try to beat it with my first brisket.  Nice job, just the seasonings I use on mine except it's Johnny's season salt instead.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Yep, that looks familiar (and delicious)!

I grew up in Bakersfield so we ate a LOT of tri-tip cooked exactly this way.

Very nice.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    looks great I tried one yesterday and missed my target temp I tried low and slow at 250 then reverse sear but after 45 minutes at 250 it was past my temp I never thought it would go that fast it was a 2lb but yours looks incredible!
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    @beachsmoke, they can be tricky...

I always think if a tri-tip as a raost that you cook like a steak...

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    I can't find tri-tip anywhere. That looks amazing. Bookmarked. 
    Dallas, TX
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm a little confused.  Your ingredients listed Granulated Garlic as the 1st ingredient but your picture shows garlic salt.  There's a difference, which did you use?
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Wow.  Amazing.  Thanks for sharing.  My husband is from California, and oh about 8 years ago so was a co-worker of mine.   At the time, we were living in Wisconsin.   A select few of us purchased a cow on hoof.  We asked the butcher if they had any tri tips extra that they could sell, and they did because that was not a popular meat there.   I didn't know how to cook them really, and that was before we got our egg.  I sure wish I still had those in the freezer now! 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    78 T140E ... I grabbed the wrong container when I was taking the picture, only realized it just before I was about to sprinkle it on. I corrected my almost mistake and used granulated garlic on the tip. Good eye. 
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    Looks good!  Where do you get your tri tip?
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    TN2TX said:
    I can't find tri-tip anywhere. That looks amazing. Bookmarked. 
    Trying to find Tri Tip in TX is like trying to find Brisket in CA
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Backyard Mike ... Tri tip is a available almost everywhere here in California. It's relatively inexpensive.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @SoCalTim - I lived just over the hill from Santa Maria, and our staple seasoning for tri tip was, and still is, Susie Q. Available everywhere here on the left coast. Tri tip is so easy, economical, and yummy - we do it every 2 weeks. Prime is available at the little boutique meat market just down the road (Costco), If you buy the bulk packs, the meat is exactly the same as the 2 packs, just 4 -6 tri tips, it's real reasonable.

And just when you thought it was safe to go to Costco, what do they have in the meat case right here in So Cal???

Santa Paula, CA
  • DMshow
    DMshow Posts: 18
    Options
    I have cooked 5 tri tips now following this recipe and they are fantastic.  I'm starting the 6th one right now.  Thanks for sharing Tim.
    LBGE '15    
    UA Local 100

• SoCalTim
    Options
    @DMshow ... hey brother, tell ya this is my most absolute fav cook. So far I'm only done it with 'choice' tri tip, next week gonna give 'prime' an attempt.
  • SoCalGirl
    SoCalGirl Posts: 7
    Options
    Just to clear this up in advance--I'm NO RELATION to and don't know SoCalTim.

We just got an egg (anniversary present from hubby).  I've never barbecued before--seriously--hubby did it before the Egg.

First time lighting it up I did two tri-tips with this method, light on seasoning because I don't like too much salt.   It was the BEST beef I've had in a long time--tender, tasty, people raved over the cold slices next day.  Now a neighbor and I are planning for the 4th.  God help the neighborhood!

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Backyard Mike ... Tri tip is a available almost everywhere here in California. It's relatively inexpensive.
    If you keep posting threads like this it won't be inexpensive. I think they just went up 25¢ lb. Won't be too long and we'll be paying the same price as a ribeye. :smiley: 

Nice cook Tim. :plus_one: thanks for sharing. +1 on the searing 1st. 

Have you ever tried slicing them thinner? I'm not the best slicer guy, but the thinner I can get them the better I like em. Almost like butter melting in your mouth. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Growing up in Santa Maria - this is how we did it, sans the Big Green Egg ...

Ingredients : Granulated Garlic - Lawry's Seasoned Salt, course black pepper, olive oil.

No measurements needed, use enough to cover the meat. First, I rinsed the tri tip off with water and dry with paper towels. Second, rub the oil all over the meat. The olive oil helps the spices stick to the tri tip. Third, sprinkle on the seasonings. Start with the garlic, get a lot on there. This is the base ingredient to a perfect tri tip. Next, add the seasoned salt, finally the pepper.

In the next phase, the grilling process is just as important as the ingredients. Authentic tri tip is grilled directly over high heat with red oak coals. I don't have a tri tip bbq, so I use my egg to duplicate the process.

For true Santa Maria style, I use chunks of red oak.

I forward sear my tri tip. I get my egg to about 600-650 degrees. 6 minutes, flip then an additional 5 minutes. I make sure the sides get seared also - nice and black.

Next step is to pull the tri tip, the temp of the meat will be approx 95 degrees - right on target. I then add the plate setter, at this time the temp will have dropped below 400 degrees ... target temp is approx 350.

My target temp is approx 135 ... so i flip the tip at about 120. The finished product is amazing, the seared bark keeps the inside of the tip sooo tender, I know alot of people like their tip in the 115 range, so make adjustments accordingly.
    an

Buityful!

Ross

• SoCalTim
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    SoCalTim said:
    If you keep posting threads like this it won't be inexpensive. I think they just went up 25¢ lb. Won't be too long and we'll be paying the same price as a ribeye. :smiley: 

Have you ever tried slicing them thinner? I'm not the best slicer guy, but the thinner I can get them the better I like em. Almost like butter melting in your mouth. 
    @stemc33 ... Hey Steve, I come from a 'Big Portion' family .. lol, plus if there's something I really dislike is when I have tri tip in a restaurant they they charge you top price for their tri tip then give you almost nothing on the plate. I love serving BIG portions to my friends and family. 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @tksmoke ,  that picture you posted of the massive 20lb tri-tip from Costco confuses me...

I've never seen a tri-tip over 3 lbs.  What other parts are attached to it? 
    Do you cook them all the same way as the tri-tips that I've seen? 

Context - I do my tri-tip shopping at either the Costco in Austin, TX (Arboretum) or the Whole Foods where they were $10.99/lb last night and < 2lbs at the Gateway Whole Foods in Austin.
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    OMG...that looks amazing!  Perhaps, I'll use Tri Tip for steak tacos on Saturday.  Should be quite tasty for tacos if sliced thinly.  
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Have 9 adults coming over this weekend - would this feed that many? Looks delicious by the way!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    @Sweet100s that has to be a multi-pack.  I've seen several packed together before at Costco, never that many, but I've seen 3 at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    SoCalGirl said:

Don't give up so quickly, Tim's a helluva nice guy and can cook some serious bbq.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Legume said:
    SoCalGirl said:

Don't give up so quickly, Tim's a helluva nice guy and can cook some serious bbq.
    I think you missed the part where she said she was married. Maybe the term brother/sister from another EGG will be adopted in time. Lol. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    The Costcos in Atlanta appear to have discontinued carrying Tri-Tips!  I asked the Butcher and he said they didn't sell them enough, they'd go past the expiration date and they were having to throw them away!!!  I wonder if Restaurant Depot carries them?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    stemc33 said:
    SoCalTim said:

@stemc33 ... Hey Steve, I come from a 'Big Portion' family .. lol, plus if there's something I really dislike is when I have tri tip in a restaurant they they charge you top price for their tri tip then give you almost nothing on the plate. I love serving BIG portions to my friends and family. 
    He can correct me if I am wrong, but he isnt suggesting a smaller portion, he is suggesting cutting the slices thinner. I cut tri tip as thin as I can, I find it much more enjoyable this way. Almost lunch meat thin, but without a meat slicer.