Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you cooking for the 4th of July?

Options
It's Monday, I am in the office and wish I was egging instead! :)

Would love to know what everyone is cooking for the 4th...have a bunch of family coming in town and it's my son's 3rd bday..should be a great time!!

Here is my plan thus far: 

Black Bean Dip and Corn Chips
All Beef Hot Dogs
Smoked Chicken Wings
Beef Brisket (my first ever!)
Corn Bread
4 Cheese-Chipotle Mac and Cheese
Cole Slaw
Grilled Veggies
Watermelon
Birthday Cupcakes 

LBGE

Marblehead, MA

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I am actually working an OT shift until 4pm, and after that going to a friend's house. I couldn't resist the OT, I normally work Saturday, but I will get off much earlier than I normally would. 
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    That's a bummer @BYS1981 but at least you will have time to eat, drink and be merry after your shift!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I've got a prime brisket from Costco.  Order some butchers paper last week.  This will be the first time using it so interested to see the results.  As far as sides, I'm going over to my parents place so will let them take care of that.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Going to do pork burnt ends 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Ribs and chicken wings. Giddeeup.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• GeorgiaGirl
    Options
    Pork butts - one of which will turn into burnt ends. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    brisket.....will arrive on 7/2.  Can't wait.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    It will be my Dad's 75th Birthday.  So, whatever he wants!  He is supposed to let me know tomorrow what he would like.  My guess is Brats and Hamburgers.  I might have to add to that with a surprise or two.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Sounds like a nice spread!

My step-sons birthday is July 1st, Canada Day (sort of the equivalent of the 4th of July; without the war). I'll be cooking up some brisker burger sliders and sides.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    My daughter is attending grad school in Rochester NY.  She'll be home for a few days.  My plan is to make as many of her favorites as possible.   We're having a large family/friend gathering at our house - close to 20 people.   I'm making: 

wings (bbq and hot) 
    steak tacos (marinated flank steak) 
    homemade salsa with chips
    macaroni salad

The guests can provide beverages, taco toppings and whatever else they want to bring.   I guess this menu sounds rather strange together.  
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pulled pork, Mac & cheese, bacon-potato salad, baked beans, homemade slaw and finish with grilled peaches.  Feeding a crowd then lighting fireworks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • IPASooner
    Options
    Looking great so far, team!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Good thread. Hopefully more will divulge their plans to help us that are undecided. I know I'll be tailgating at the Polo Fields with my MM waiting for the fireworks show. Now I just need a plan of what's going on the MM. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Good thread. Hopefully more will divulge their plans to help us that are undecided. I know I'll be tailgating at the Polo Fields with my MM waiting for the fireworks show. Now I just need a plan of what's going on the MM. 
    They play polo... in Wyoming??  :o

Who knew?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    My daughter is attending grad school in Rochester NY.  She'll be home for a few days.  My plan is to make as many of her favorites as possible.   We're having a large family/friend gathering at our house - close to 20 people.   I'm making: 

wings (bbq and hot) 
    macaroni salad

The guests can provide beverages, taco toppings and whatever else they want to bring.   I guess this menu sounds rather strange together.  

Trixie have you ever tried Tritip tacos. I did them a few months back with some homemade salsa and it was a huge hit.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    It will be a flank steak served along with a special sauce I make on mashed potatoes and mushrooms. It's been a 4th of July tradition for many many years!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    They play polo... in Wyoming??  :o

Who knew?
    This is indeed a shocking development. Please tell me they only wear cowboy hats during the match or I'm not going to know what to think.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Yep. On the 4th July the Polo Center lets a few hundred or more cars/truck on the fields to watch the fireworks.  I can't believe they let people drive on the prestine fields.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    there goes the neighborhood
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I'll be on Cape Cod with my in-laws.  I'll have a Weber 13" and a portable gas grill at my disposal.  A long cook is not an option as we typically go to a parade and then take a boat to the beach for most of the day.  I'm not in charge so I cook whatever the group wants - and that works for me because the food is not the most important issue for the day.  We usually cook something like burgers or chicken.  Some years, my son gets invited to go oystering with a neighbor who has a license and we cook those.  It will be a good day no matter how it plays out.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options

wings (bbq and hot) 
    macaroni salad

Trixie have you ever tried Tritip tacos. I did them a few months back with some homemade salsa and it was a huge hit.
    Oh...do tell me about the tri tip tacos!!   
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Not too sure yet. Don't know if I want to keep it simple with something like burgers, brats, wings or do a brisket...or all of the above :lol: 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • IPASooner
    Options
    how are you doing the whole hog @DMW ? I have a caja china roasting box so I am always curious about what others do.
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    IPASooner said:
    how are you doing the whole hog @DMW ? I have a caja china roasting box so I am always curious about what others do.
    Meadow Creek PR-60. Here's last years:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1167880/this-wont-fit-on-an-egg/p1

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • YetiBob
    YetiBob Posts: 65
    Options
    I am doing one of my favorites! Hawg Hammers (also known as pork wings). The last time I made them, they were fantastic! They typically take 5 hours at 225 (of course they are actually done when they are done). I may throw an Ostrowski's Sausage on for a Scoobie snack as well.

Served with the usual, corn on the cob, BBQ Beans (I just "fix" a can of Bushes as I have to be able to beat them from scratch), and some yummy Cole Slaw. I will also make the world's greatest French Vanilla Ice Cream (this recipe is FANTASTIC)

The morning will feature Waffles of Insane Greatness - another killer recipe.
    In Maryland
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Beef tenderloin with Bobby Flay's jerk marinade.  good stuff!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    How do you like the caja china? Can you post some pictures of it in use?  @IPASooner
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I'm cooking Whole clod and a side of salmon with the Pineapple head that Hapster sent me.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    On my definitely going to cook list we have:

Brisket
    (either pulled pork or ribs, haven't decided)
    Smoked baked beans
    Homemade Mac and Cheese
    Grilled veggies
    Fresh Ciabatta bread
    Brownies
    Homemade cookies
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum