Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking 2 butts need help

Options
I was at restaurant depot today and picked up 2 butts with bone that weigh 10 lbs each,they are packaged together. 

My question is if I cook both at the same time would I plan on cooking for 20 lb butt or just a 10 pound butt?

Hope I made sense, thanks for the help

XLBGE in plainview,new york

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    No, plan on cooking as if one 10 lb butt. Having said that, they may cook at different rates so one might be finished before the other. Also, try to avoid having them touch. This may mean moving them after they have shrunken a little. 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    10 lb to answer question (they will be separated, correct). BUT they will not be done at the same time. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• flhxnick
    flhxnick Posts: 66
    Options
    Mickey said:
    10 lb to answer question (they will be separated, correct). BUT they will not be done at the same time. 

I will be doing both at the same time @Mickey

• flhxnick
    Options
    No, plan on cooking as if one 10 lb butt. Having said that, they may cook at different rates so one might be finished before the other. Also, try to avoid having them touch. This may mean moving them after they have shrunken a little. 

@TexanOfTheNorth thank you 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Mickey is of course correct in pointing out that even though the butts are same/similar size, the will likely behave differently and finish at different times.  That was his point.  Good luck and enjoy!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    Options
    I agree with the 10 pounds answer, but let me add they may still take slightly longer. You are putting 20 pounds of cold mass on the Egg vs 10. So it may take a bit longer to get the Egg recovered and both butts starting to cook.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • flhxnick
    Options
    Thanks guys. I hope I don't screw it up lol
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    flhxnick said:
    That's not the right attitude... try "I'm going to hit this one out of the park!"  B)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    flhxnick said:
    That's not the right attitude... try "I'm going to hit this one out of the park!"  B)
    Your right @TexanOfTheNorth I'm gonna nail it and make you guys proud
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Pork butts are usually very forgiving and if you get the egg stabilized and keep the temp locked in, you should be good.  if you are going 250 or below it is going to take about 1.5 hours or more per pound to get it done.  If you go 275 to 300 it would be closer to 1 per pound.  I usually start out at 250 to 275 and when it gets over 150 I take it up to 275-300 or just run 275 the whole time.  Good luck and have fun.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    This is the perfect time to have a multi-probe meat thermo so you can monitor the temp of each cut.  Look at each one, the one that is fattier should be the one that takes the longest because of the rendering in the stall period.

Agree with the temp suggestions from @Ladeback69....  The higher your egg temp, the shorter the cook time and the faster thru the stall period.

Just let them run and it'll all be good!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• PSHome
    PSHome Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm with Ladeback69.  Pork butts are very forgiving.  I typically always do two 10lb buts at the same time (freezes well).  If I have about 15 hours set the egg around 225-250.  If I only have about 10 hours, I'll run around 275.  I use a swing rack, so the butts are stacked in the egg.  Granted, the butts will not be the same temp, but I always pull both butts at the same time and FTC for 1-8 hours.   Maybe one butt is 196 and the other is 200, but both get pulled at the same time.