Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-5 hour cook

Options
hello everyone, I usually grill fajitas, smoke some ribs, on my old Weber grill. I received my BGE on Tuesday but I have been real busy doing things so I haven't used my grill once. Another thing was that this egg was slightly open when closed and they just fixed it on Saturday. What do you'll recommend to cook for my first cook. I want something that takes 2-5 hours. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Have you cooked on a Egg before? If not I would recommend just lighting the charcoal, playing with your vent settings to see how temperature control works and then doing something simple like burgers, chicken breasts, or a spatchcock chicken. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • ferndchamp
    ferndchamp Posts: 152
    Options
    I tried messing with the temperature settings the first day I got it, but I need to learn it better and thanks for the suggestions.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I would suggest spatchcock chicken, ribs, or something simple just to get practice and experience with your damper control.

Welcome to the forum...happy egging.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Ribs
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Ribs
    +1. Generally a 4-5 hour cook. Most do ribs in the 225-250 range which, can be a little tricky until you really know what you're doing with temp control.

I suggest loading up with lump and 2-3 wood chunks; of your choice. I usually just light in one spot in the middle of the lump. Once you've got the lump going (i.e., you can see that it's burning) add your plate setter, drip pan and gird. Keep an eye on the temp as you do not want to overshoot your target. I suggest that you start making vent adjustments when you get within 50* of your target; gradually slowing things down until you get there. Once you reach your target let it roll for 1/2 hour or so to make sure that it's locked in and then, add your ribs. You'll see a drop in temp at that point but, it should recover in very little time. Don't worry about some temp fluctuations during the cook, 15-20* either way will not be a problem.

Welcome to the forum and to the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I decided to do a whole chicken and chicken wings. I tried not over shooting the temperature but it went over too fast. So now I am waiting for the temperature to go down. Let's see how long it takes.
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    It's an 8 pound chicken, how many hours do you'll think it will take when cooking at 250-275 range? What internal temperature should I reach in order to take the chicken out
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Not sure on time, but you're looking for 160 breast and 180 thighs. You can pull a little under that and it will carry over. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    If it's not too late, you can flip it upside down so the thigh gets the Benny of the top heat. 
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    Can someone help me the temperature sticks around 100. I opened bothe bottom and top vent and the temperature is staying at 100. Does anyone have any ideas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Have you checked the calibration?  Boil some water, insert dome thermo-should read around 210*F-if not adjust out the off-set using the nut on the back then recheck.  If it passes the cal check then I wouldn't worry about the ambient temp reading.
    This presumes you don't currently have a fire going but if so then it is so hot you have wrapped the needle all the way around.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    if you touch the outside and the outside layers of your skin stick, it's wrapped around.  if you can touch and leave your hand there, it's a fire problem - damp lump?  clogged fire grate?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hold your hand over the top (carefully) to see how warm it is.  If you don't feel heat rising out of it then your fire may have gone out.  

Like @lousubcap mentioned if you have a fire going with the vents wide open it is possible you have wrapped the thermometer around (so again...be careful putting hand over the top).  I think you would know if it was that hot because you would see the tips of flames coming out the top. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    If it's that hot, BURP IT VERY CAREFULLY! If you have any eyebrows one, you will no longer. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Also, don't choke it down to try and cool then casually open the dome a few minutes later. Don't ask me how I know. 
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    When openening the vent, do you'll use the screen?
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Take the chicken out. You want to get to temp, wait for a thin blue smoke then add the meat. Otherwise you will end up with some nasty tasting chicken. I usually get to temp and hold it for about 20 minutes before adding my meat. Lets the egg stabilize and all that ceramic come to temp. This will keep you from chasing temp while cooking and make sure you are eating the good smoke not the acrid tasting VOCs.

I use my screen every cook. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    Thanks for the advise.
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    If I were to cook a brisket over night and put the temperature at 250. Would it hold that temperature for 6 or 7 hours until I get up.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Make sure that your temp probe is not touching the chicken!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I'd make sure I nailed this chicken first before I attacked a brisket... Atleast do a pork butt to get your feet wet. A lot cheaper if things don't go your way.. but if money is no object go for it. its a very long cook.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    "Thanks for the advise."
    That's it...surely there has got to be more info regarding your temp/thermo issue!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    "Thanks for the advise."
    That's it...surely there has got to be more info regarding your temp/thermo issue!
    lol...Lou is right...we need closure!  Did the fire go out? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• ferndchamp
    Options
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    It's at 310 degrees
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Well that's a number but what was happening when you were stuck at 100*F?  Did you sort out the issue or what?
  • ferndchamp
    Options
    I had to put a lighter cube to restart the fire.
  • ferndchamp
    Options