Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Walmart Steaks

Options
GregW
GregW Posts: 2,677
What is everyone's opinion of Walmart ribeyes? I swore them off years ago due to all the added solution they were injecting them with. (as well as a general dislike of their propensity to sell Chinese junk) 
The USDA Choice they are selling nowadays don't appear to have any additives.
I'm asking because I've looked at the ribeyes and they don't appear to be any worse quality than Publix is selling.
Publix is around $4 to $5 per pound higher for theirs.

Thought's anyone?  

Comments

• Coastalcooker
    Options
    In the past, I've had at least one good steak, but many not good. Publix quality has always been consistent. i quit buying meat there years ago, so my comments do not reflect any recent changes in quality.
    I also found Kroger sold a lot of select grade meat. Some of it was OK.
    Two Publix ribeyes last n ight were great.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• GregW
    Options
    That's what I expected to hear. I guess I will continue to shop at Publix for steaks.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Besides brisket and pork butt I typically avoid Wal-Mart meat unless I'm on vacation and its the only option within a reasonable driving distance. Can't really speak to quality recently as the last time I bought steak from them was at least two years ago.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GregW
    Options
    Besides brisket and pork butt I typically avoid Wal-Mart meat unless I'm on vacation and its the only option within a reasonable driving distance. Can't really speak to quality recently as the last time I bought steak from them was at least two years ago.
    It's been many years since I bought any meat from Walmart. Last time I bought they had about 20% solution injected in their steaks. I didn't realize it when I bought the steak. It had a very strange texture when cooked. I looked at the label after eating and saw the solution. I felt very sick to my stomach then.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My wife screwed up and brought home publix "greenwise" (organic) ribeyes Friday night. Steak night has forever become more expensive here. 

Last time we went to Walmart, my daughter got to witness a couple get arrested for shoplifting. We really do our best to avoid that place as it's become a scene from Biff's 1985. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GregW
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    My wife screwed up and brought home publix "greenwise" (organic) ribeyes Friday night. Steak night has forever become more expensive here. 

Last time we went to Walmart, my daughter got to witness a couple get arrested for shoplifting. We really do our best to avoid that place as it's become a scene from Biff's 1985. 
    Yes, I've managed to find a few of the Greenwise steaks that were pretty close to prime grade.

I will agree with you about Walmart. Our local one seems to really draw in a group of people that are unsavory. I really try not not judge people, however the trend lately seems to be for women to go to Walmart in their pajamas. They are women that I would prefer not to see in any state of undress.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    We have neighborhood Wal*Mart that carry certified Angus steaks .. however wife refuses to eat any meat from there .. so I mostly shop at Costco, BJs or Publix. We also have a Fresh Market close by, but steaks are probhitively expensive there, so I only get them on very special occassions. Our Costco does a fine job of carrying Prime teaks, so albeit slightly expensive, they are of good quality Excel Prime meat.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    In general, we have not that good a meat experience at Walmart.  Meat is OK, but not nearly as good as our local BJs, which has an excellent meat department.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I usually get my steaks from Costco. Their Choice steaks look like Prime steaks at other places. I do get the thin cut choice ribeyes from Walmart when I am doing philly cheese steaks. It's close by and haven't had a problem with them. I will say that I'm in a small town so it's not quite the same clientele as Walmarts in major cities. They are putting in an HEB store close by soon so that's where I'll be buying quick meat and produce in the future.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    My question is if there's really a difference in Walmart's Select and Choice meats? I'm thinking they just put some in a white package and some in a black package so that one meat looks more appealing. IDK

Walmart sued over Donkey Meat. Huh??
    http://mobile.foodqualitynews.com/Industry-news/Wal-Mart-to-strengthen-food-safety-after-donkey-meat-recall
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I like Publix. The butcher will still cut some things on request. Never at Wal-Mart obviously. I feel as though customer service has went to pot at Wal-Mart anymore (as if it was ever exemplary).  I have always preferred a grocery store for groceries vs a "hey we have everything" sort of store. I will buy steaks occasionally at Sam's Club, RD or Freshfields Farm. FF being the best. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL