Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hobart slicer HELP

So for the last three weeks of so I have been emailing back and forth a seller on Craigslist that had two slicers. They wanted $150 each, one was a Hobart 1612 and the other was a globe 775L. We were finally able to meet and I brought a potato along to test how they sliced. I was most interested in the Hobart as he globe was pretty big. So we plugged the Hobart in and turned it on and there was only a humming sound. I shut it off and tried to spin the blade by had and she was locked up tight. So I decided to check out the globe. When the seller grabbed the end to plug it in I realized we were not going to be able to test it as it had a 20A plug end on it. I checked the thickness dial and the blade and both moved. Now was the big decision the one I wanted I was guessing has a bad motor and the other I was not sure if it would even run. I decided to take a gamble and we negotiated the price to $175. 

On the way home I opted to stop at the fire house as I knew we had a 20a outlet there. I plugged the globe in and she came to life. Seems to work ok but does need a few pieces replaced as it seems there was some corrosion due to two different types of metal. 

As as for the Hobart I took out the drive gear for the blade and it is locked up tight. Also the oil in the bottom area is VERY STICKY and gooy. 

So so my questions are does anyone know how to remove the motor and test it to see if it is bad or just froze up due to the broke down oil?  Also the drive shaft I think has bearings pressed in, could I clean this in a can of carburetor cleaner?  If the motor is bad does anyone have a 1612/1712 motor that is good?

thanks

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Two things come right to mind depending on what year it is. First some have a reset button that will trip.  Second, it could be a capacitor problem. The "humming sound" leads me more toward the latter.  If you can, post a pic of the manufactures plate so I know what make/model it is I may can offer more. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    @sgh It is a 1612. I believe it is an early version as it has a toggle switch not the plunger type. The plate is worn off. When I go back out to the garage I will take a few pictures and post. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited June 2015
    This site may ultimately come in handy:  http://www.oldhobartslicerparts.com/Hobart16121712Parts.html

i just tend to google out of curiosity..
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Firemanyz
    I have already been there but could not find the information I needed. 
  • SGH
    Locate the capacitor cover and remove it. Once you have the cover off, smell or sniff the capacitor. If it smells burnt or chemical like, then the capacitor is shot. Just listening to your explanation of what the machine is doing, it sure sounds like the capacitor to me.    

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Firemanyz
    Do you know where the capacitor cover is on a 1612?  I took the motor end cover off and it does smell like burnt electrical something. Also I think the oil that is in there is not helping it because it is very sticky and gooy. 

• SGH
    It's right behind the motor plate in the pic you posted above^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• Firemanyz
    I don't see any kind of capacitor on here. 
  • SGH
     The capacitor looks to be missing from the pics you posted. I'm almost willing to bet that someone took it out to replace it but never got around to it. Here is a view of motors made Hobart and for Hobart for the 1612. 

Status- Standing by.

• Firemanyz
    @sgh I just got home, I looked all over and don't see where anything might have been attached. When I opened the motor to me it looked as if it had not been opened in a long time. I took 4 more pics of the motor center. I can't tell from the diagrahams u attached where it should be. Any other thoughts?
  • Firemanyz
    Here is one that looks just like it on eBay. 
  • SGH
    Some are side mounted the best I gather. Do you see a "raised" type cover anywhere on the side of the motor?

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    If it's not side mounted, then I'm at a loss my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    SGH if referring to the flux capacitor.  In all seriousness, looks like you have an unfortunate, unforeseen, unrepairable, mess on your hands.  Even the Hobart replacement parts are hard to come by.  And the prices I have gotten from Hobart or the used Hobart parts website in the past are ridiculous.

Glass is still more than half-full man, at least you got an operational Globe for $175.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SGH
    I don't know if this will help you or not, but here is a shot of the stator and capacitor out of a 1612.  The first pic is a close up of the capacitor. The second pic shows the capacitor attached to the stator via the red wire. 

Status- Standing by.

• Firemanyz
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for trying to help me @sgh. I saw that also listed, I just don't see any wires inside mine that could have been hooked to a capacitor. I'm not the best with electric, would there need to be two wires or one for the capacitor?  Need to try and get the serial number off of it, only problem is the plate is smooth and nothing shows. I'll try some more detective work
    tomorrow. 
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited June 2015
    Here is a wiring diagram for a Hobart 1612 thru 1712. The only difference is the electronic start switch where as yours has a centrifugal start switch. Looks like your capacitor is missing. 
    https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcecenter/ProductDocumentation/F-16907.pdf

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Drummerboy
    Drummerboy Posts: 36
    I'm in the motor business - you may want to take that in to a motor shop. The windings in the stator (outer shell) are either caked in oil/gunk or are severely burnt. When you burn the insulation off, the wires short and the only fix is to get it rewound (if possible). It may be that is what you are smelling.

The capacitor appears to be in a small holder screwed into the stator inside. I can see the stationary switch on the endbell - the round piece you took off that has a bearing for the shaft - the the square piece with the 2 contacts on either side. This tells me that it has to have a capacitor, or did at one time.

I'd be willing to bet that someone has tried to fix this motor and failed because it is too far gone and didn't take the time to reattach the capacitor if it is indeed missing. Look for the cap holder inside the motor - you can see it in the last Ebay pic you posted - you will be looking at it from the side and the capp and wires may not be visible.

I've seen many a Hobart in the motor repair shops I visit and I have been to everyone single shop in the South - WV, VA, NC, SC, GA, TN, AL and FL.They are insanely expensive to rewind. Finding a replacement is neigh impossible - chances are you'd stumble across Hoffa before then...

I wish you luck and hope you get it running!
    Largo, FL

1 LG BGE
    1 Med BGE
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    edited June 2015
    Went back and looked at your original pix. Most definitely have a motor shop check the windings as they look very suspicious to this retired maintenance man. If in good condition they are not normally that dark a color. And yes you are also missing a capacitor. I would get an estimate from the shop and then make a decision if it is worth the cost of repair, but it is your call as to how much you are willing to spend. You may be better to sell it for parts on ebay and look for a better unit.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a 1949 Globe 150 slicer. I talked to the Globe folks and they suggested this place for parts. Maybe it will help. I saw a capacitor for a 1612 for 10 bucks. http://www.nbsparts.com/hobart-slicer?limit=all

But it sounds like you may have problems that can't be fixed for a lousy $10!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Firemanyz said:
    Thanks for trying to help me @sgh
    My pleasure brother.  I wish that I could have offered more but I have never owned a 1612. I don't know if this will help or not, but if it is a side mounted capacitor, here is what you are looking for my friend. My hunch is on a motor that small it won't be a side mount, it will be behind the end plate. However that is just a guess on my part. 
    Side mount capacitor:

Status- Standing by.

• Firemanyz
    So after fiddling around a bit tonight I decided to just stick the motor back in and try something. I did not remember if I tried turning it on before I disconnected the motor with the blade shaft out. The blade shaft is gummed up very tight. So I reattached the wires and plugged it in. When I turn the switch on she came to life and was spinning the end worm gear. I shut it off and tried turning it on again and it would not spin. I gave it a nudge with a screwdriver and it spun again but seemed to be going kinda slow. Also noted a electrical odor coming from the motor area so opted to shut it off. Could have been some oil inside the stator area but not sure. Thanks for all the ideas. There was an exact replacement for it on eBay last night but it appears I did not watch it and it is gone today. Just my luck. 

Thank you everyone. 
  • Firemanyz
    Does anyone out there have a parts 1612?????
  • SGH

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    These folks have any and everything that you could ever need for a Hobart. They also offer about any motor service that you may need. 

http://eurtonelectric.com/

Status- Standing by.