Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Firebox Question

Options
Hawg Fan
Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
I saw my first MM this week at my local dealer and was surprised to see the large fire grate in the firebox.  Since the MM is similar in size to the Small, I was wondering if the MM firebox and grate would work in a a Small.  If that's the case, it might help with the Small Egg's air flow problems.  I wish I would have taken a picture now for a comparison to my Small's fire grate.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I don't think it will. The MM is like a sawed off small. If you imagine the egg shape, it gets smaller as you go down the egg. That portion of the small where the firebox sits is a smaller diameter than where the firebox sits in the MM. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Before I sold my Small I added a High-Q, made a much better Egg. Have High-Q's in both Larges and the Mini as well as the Mini-Max. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hawg Fan
    Options
    I don't think it will. The MM is like a sawed off small. If you imagine the egg shape, it gets smaller as you go down the egg. That portion of the small where the firebox sits is a smaller diameter than where the firebox sits in the MM. 
    That makes sense.  I thought someone that had both the Small and MM May had tried to interchange them.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Hawg Fan
    Options

Mickey said:
    Before I sold my Small I added a High-Q, made a much better Egg. Have High-Q's in both Larges and the Mini as well as the Mini-Max. 
    I have a High Q in my Small.  Definitely makes a difference.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +3 on the highQ for the small.  My small will go inferno after adding the highQ grate 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    +1 on High Que in general, for all sizes.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA