Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap gasket

Options
I installed the gasket when I built my egg, but got a smokeware cap today. It also came with a gasket. Was I supposed to install this gasket as well?  Seemed redundant. Ideas?

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes.  

When the "Eggware Cap" first dropped, we nuked an egg and the standard felt melted when we returned.  Not long after, they changed from the standard felt to Nomex.  Meanwhile, I took some leftover Rutland and Permatex, installed the gasket on the inside collar instead of the egg surface.  It is a permanent fixture.  For high temps, I remove the cap.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Just use the standard till it goes south, then install the SW gasket. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I installed the gasket when I built my egg, but got a smokeware cap today. It also came with a gasket. Was I supposed to install this gasket as well?  Seemed redundant. Ideas?
    The Smokeware cap comes with a small gasket that you install around the top vent to better seal the new cap.  The instructions that come with the cap should mention this.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Cool Thanks!
    Suit yourself, but once you do decide to revert to the gasket supplied by SmokeWare I suggest putting it inside the male piece of the SmokeWare rather than on the BGE dome. That way when I do a high temperature burn out then the gasket is out of harms way.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @RRP, that is a good idea. I had put mine on the dome because the instructions said to do that.  I don't think I can remove the gasket, without damage to it, and re-install it on the cap.  Someday, I'll get a new gasket and install it on the cap.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Ah, ok.  My new egg has gasket that is supposed to go around the top part of the egg.  So this is supposed to do the same thing.  i get it now.