Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Trouble

Options
My guru has suddenly stopped functioning properly. It will power on fine and allow me to adjust the pit temp, food temp, etc. However once it says "pit set" and I clip the temp sensor to the grate the display simply shows 3 lines. The fan will not engage either. I have had this guru for about 5 years. Any advice or ideas as to what may be wrong. I am trying to avoid buying a new one altogether if possible. Thanks. 

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Thinking that the pit probe might be at fault.  Does the same problem occur with the meat probe plugged into the pit position?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    The Guru folks have a good reputation for trouble shooting so I'd give them a call tomorrow.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    Thanks. Didn't try the meat probe as I was setting up for baby back ribs. That's a good idea so I will try it and see what happens. 
  • Danny Noonan
    Options
    Thanks Jeepster 47. I put the meat probe in the pit position and it seemed to work fine. Good news I only need a new pit probe. 
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    I pulled the alligator clip off the pit probe and slid it on a meat probe.  It worked fine
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • rosco
    rosco Posts: 48
    Options
    While we are on the subject, I never clipped the probe to the grate. I clip mine to the inside dome thermometer. Since this community has engineered bbq to a science, where is the most widely accepted probe clip location?
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think the prevailing opinion is that the longer the cook the more irrelevant it becomes - if I remember correctly.  If you are indirect, I think the temp disparity tends to converge unless you look more than u cook.

i'm usually a dome clipper..   (And day tripper yeah...). I think that's the proper Beatles quote...
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rosco said:
    While we are on the subject, I never clipped the probe to the grate. I clip mine to the inside dome thermometer. Since this community has engineered bbq to a science, where is the most widely accepted probe clip location?
    I have always attached my clip to the dome thermometer probe. Works for me 14 years now and I'm still using my original Teflon coated Guru cables though I do have the new cable clad ones for back up.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I always clip mine near the surface of the meat.  I want to know the temp that's closest to the item that I'm cooking. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    This might be interesting ... published two days ago ...

http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2015/06/declare-independence-dome-thermometer/

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max