Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Moly I need a Guacamole recipe

Options
grege345
grege345 Posts: 3,515
I Never ate it till recently now its all I want to eat. Cant find in the search bar. Who's got one?
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I get it at Wegman's... their house brand is really good :)
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for it, but there must be from Bobby Flay, Rick Bayless and guys like that.

We don't measure, but just add diced tomato, onion, jalapeño or Serrano peppers and cilantro to some mashed avocado.  Try to mash, not blend, you don't want it to be over-mixed or too creamy, chunks are good.  Salt to taste, add a touch of garlic if you like.
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Perfect dish for experimentation. Mashed avo. Plus lime. Plus a bit of salsa. Sometimes a bit of sour cream. And/or cilantro. And/or chipotle in adobo. 

Have fun!  It's just guac!!

(and practice saying "wockamoooolayyyyy")
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    To @Legume  I definitely add garlic then squeeze a lime into it. Roma tomatoes, white onion. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don't think I've ever seen a recipe for it, but there must be from Bobby Flay, Rick Bayless and guys like that.

We don't measure, but just add diced tomato, onion, jalapeño or Serrano peppers and cilantro to some mashed avocado.  Try to mash, not blend, you don't want it to be over-mixed or too creamy, chunks are good.  Salt to taste, add a touch of garlic if you like.
    I do pretty much what @Legume does, and like @theyolksonyou, I squeeze some fresh lime juice into mine. I like it a little on the chunky side as well. I will often put a dash of ground cumin in mine. If you prefer something creamy you can add a little sour cream.

The absolutely most important part is getting avocados that are the perfect ripeness. I usually get the hass variety. Often, the ones at the store are under ripe so you sometimes have to plan several days in advance; buying the avacados and letting them ripen at home. I believe there is a trick about putting them in a paper bag (but I've never done that). 

If you have leftover, over it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge. It may turn a little brownish but, just give it a good stir and it will green back up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Ripeness is key as @TexanOfTheNorth says. A little soft is good. I've read you can pick the stem off and it should be brown. I just give a little squeeze. 

It it will also vac seal and freeze well. Just mash it flat and it will defrost in cold water rather quickly. 
  • Legume
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oops, left the lime out.  We usually squeeze on top when finished, don't mix in as much.  Gotta seed the tomatoes too, don't want all that liquid in there.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    This is my dad's recipe. Really good

http://www.familycookbookproject.com/recipe/2519461/richard-lowells-world-famous-guacamole-olay.html

Ingredients:  
    6 RIPE Avocados
    1 small container of sour cream
    3 tbsp lite mayonnaise
    3 tbsp dehydrated onions
    'Airline' size Tequila (or a big bottle for later)
    3 Eggs
    Salt, Pepper
    2 Small cans of green chilies
    OR
    1 each green chilies and 1 can of jalapenos (for heat)
    2 Limes
    Tortilla chips

Directions:
    Re-hydrate onions in booze
    Peel avocados, put the inside stuff in a LARGE plastic or glass bowl, save pits, throw away skins.
    Hard boil 3 eggs
    Mash avacado with potato masher or what ever
    Add the chilies to mush
    Grate the hard boiled eggs over 3 tbsp butter or margarine in a separate bowl
    Add salt about ½ tsp and ground black pepper 1-2 tsp, mix well
    Add to mush
    Fold in a small container sour cream and 3 tbs mayo
    Adjust salt
    Place the pits on top and squeeze a lime or two over the mush (so it won't turn brown)
    Cover w/ plastic wrap
    Chill for a long time

Dip and scoop away !!!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Legume
    Options
    If you want to blow someone's mind, sprinkle some toasted pepitas and crumbled cotija cheese on top, just make sure you get a dry, crumbly one.
  • B727
    B727 Posts: 18
    Options
    Chipotle Mexican Grill publishes its Guacamole recipe - its great! http://chipotle.com/guac-recipe

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Options
    Here is the recipe I use and it is a very good and easy one to follow.

Guacamole

Ingredients

• 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
    • 1 lime, juiced
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/2 medium onion, diced
    • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    • 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    • 1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I never go by a recipe, just throw in what I'm feeling. However,  the below are my go to ingredients. 

Haas avacados 
    cilantro
    lime juice 
    salt pepper 
    jalepeno 
    red onion 
    Roma tomatoe
    EVOO (if you want a smoother consistency )
    cumin
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Guac! Such a simple yet outstanding choice. Ripe avocado. Lime juice. Small diced tomato(salsa in a pinch) and sweet or red onion. A bit of adobo seasoning. That is all that is required. Jalapenos(seeded) add spice for those that enjoy that taste. If the avocado is not quite ripe enough I add sour cream to soften the consistancy.

For storage leave the pit in it. Press plastic wrap down on top of the Guac. Refrigerate. The combination of these two trick and the lime juice seem to keep it for a couple days.(not that it should ever last that long)

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Matt's recipe about is very close to what I use.  I did not read or link to the others.  Here is mine:

Using 2 ripe, but not overly mushy Hass Avocados:
    3/4 med tomato diced - I use whatever is not overly ripe.
    1/3 - 1/2 med red onion diced
    2 good sized garlic cloves minced
    1 to 2 seeded jalapenos depending on heat.
    2 limes
    Just a crack of pepper
    Salt to taste (If using as a dip, taste with the chips you are using, as they have a god amount of salt as well.)

Slice up avocado into a non-metalic bowl, mash to 70% the consistency you want with a heavy plastic fork, leaving some chunks.
    Add onion, garlic, and the crack of pepper.
    Mash to 90% of desired consistency - leaving a few chunks.
    Fold in tomato, leaving any fluid from slicing out.
    Squeeze in all the juice of one lime, and fold that in.
    Add salt to taste.

If you are going to eat it right away - add other lime as well and mix.  If preparing for later, squeeze the lime juice from the second lime on top of the guac, but let it sit there as it will prevent it from oxidation and turning brown. Mix right before eating.

I can not stand cumin, so none in mine please.
    Cilantro is optional.  I love the stuff, but leave it out of guac.

Homemade guac with homemade bacon on a home ground chuck burger is a perfect summer meal.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Seriously, you need a recipe?  I just wing it.

avocados
    homemade salsa (has chunk tomatoes, jalapeno, habanero, garlic, onion)
    chopped tomatoes to taste
    diced onion to taste
    lemon or lime juice
    salt 
    cracked pepper

This is as good as I have had in any Mexican restaurant from Phoenix to TX to the East coast. and what's with the recipe with mayo and sour cream??? Really??? that sounds like some northerners/easteners interpretation of guacamole. With all of the "stuff" in there, you mask the actual flavor of the avocado.  Guacamole = crushed/ground avocado fruit. 
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    I agree with the wing it plan, make mine a little different each time.  Grilled corn is a good add for a leftover usage.  
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Yeah agree no recipe needed.  Here's what I put in mine:

Smashed avocado
    Diced red onion
    Diced jalapeño
    Cilantro
    Kosher salt
    Black pepper
    Cumin
    Cayenne
    Lime juice

Adjust spices and lime juice till its nicely balanced.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    GaryLange said:
    Here is the recipe I use and it is a very good and easy one to follow.

Guacamole

Ingredients

• 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
    • 1 lime, juiced
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    • 1/2 medium onion, diced
    • 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
    • 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
    • 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    • 1 clove garlic, minced

Directions

In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated. Using a potato masher add the salt, cumin, and cayenne and mash. Then, fold in the onions, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, and garlic. Add 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour and then serve.

I do this same one and it is always a hit.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm a Guac noob so all these help a great deal!!! If I were to just wing it I'm sure it would not be like you guys winging it. Thanks again!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• golfguyjosh
    golfguyjosh Posts: 196
    Options
    I make gauc basically every week. Growing up in socal well i can never get enough of it. Now I make a basic gauc most days. You can do the tomato's and all that or you can do what I do. 

Salt,pepper,garlic salt, ground cummin, chili powder, some jalapeno juice, and mix it up. 
    Jacksonville, FL
  • Mithrandir
    Mithrandir Posts: 36
    Options

This one is my favourite, from Ricardo.com

INGREDIENTS

• 4 avocados
      • Juice of 2 limes or
      • Juice of 1 lemon
      • 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced or
      • 1 red tomato, seeded and diced
    • 1 green onion, finely chopped
    • 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
    • Tabasco sauce, to taste
    • Salt and pepper

PREPARATION

1. In a bowl, using a fork, mash the avocado flesh with the lime juice.
    2. Add the remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
    3. Serve as a dip with tortillas.
    Roberval, Qc, Canada
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options

I have made guacamole every week for at least 6 years for my family's Taco Night!  After trying many recipes, we like the simple version the best:

3 Ripe Avocados

1 Lime

1 clove Garlic

Crushed Red Pepper

1/2 t. Cumin

Sea Salt (liberal amount)

Put spices and Lime juice in bowl.  Use a microplane grater to grate the garlic.  Squeeze avocados into bowl and mash with fork to desired consistency.  Add salt to taste!

We love this with tacos or good tortilla chips.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Never used a recipe.  Ripe Avocados mashed, fresh lime juice, fresh fist full of cilantro chopped, chopped Vidalia onion, one clove garlic minced, mayo, punch of fresh ground S&P.  Always make to taste...thus recipe varies depending on what it's going with. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Best ive had is alwayz made fresh infront of you at a restaurant. As above post 
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    drano said:
    I couldn't agree more. The Alton Brown guac is my favorite recipe..... and I've tried a million of them. 
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Biggest part is getting your avocados when they are perfect. I hit the Mercado's in southwest Detroit (Mexican town) because you never have to worry about the will they be ready in time for my BBQ.  I've won Guacamole competitions with this recipe. Everything perfectly fresh and ripe is the key to the perfect guacamole.

Two to three Roma tomatoes (depending on their size)
    One Serrano chili diced very fine
    One garlic clove pressed
    White onion diced and rinsed in cold water to get rid of the bite (about 1/2 a small one) 1/2 cup or so.
    Two or three tablespoons of cilantro chopped.
    Juice of 1/2 a decent sized soft lime
    Teaspoon of kosher salt

Mix in a bowl and let flavors blend for 1/2 hour

Mash in a bowl with 3 large or 4 small (Mexican style) avocados.

Let sit for a few minutes before serving.  

Dearborn MI