Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning on doing first brisket this weekend. Is the cooking time about the same as a butt? Any favorite rubs or marinades out there?
Thanks
Big Cat

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Big Cat,
    Very close to butt times, but every one is different. The prime cuts that Cat cooks go pretty quickly. I posted a marinade, that Spice Cooks sent me, under new recipes. Something like Eggfest Brisket. It is worth doing.[p]At 250 dome, it usually takes me around 2 hours/pound. Sometimes the stubborn ones take longer. [p]JJ's rub is also very good. Mustard slather and a rub is another good choice. Hard to go wrong. The flavor of the brisket is so excellent that even minimal seasonings would yield great results.[p]Have fun....it doesn't get much better than a chunk-o-chest.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Big Cat,[p]That's top notch advice from Nature Boy. Relax, be patient and it will come out great.[p]K~G

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Big Cat,[p]As with everything, there's a number of ways to skin that cat. I usually stick to lower temperatures than NB (don't ask me why, I dont know, honestly) and I go about 2.5 hours a pound. I start the fire with a FULL firebox, literally up to the bottom of the grate or the top of the fire ring, (how you look at this depends on if you are a half full or half empty kinda person). Once the fire is started I put on my indirect setup, firebricks in a "U" pattern on the grate with the drip pan on this. Then, I place the second grate on top of that. I do throw on some wood chunks before this step by the way. Then, I throw on the brisket and let 'er rip. The temp will stay in the high hundred degree range for about 90 minutes, then stabilize at about 200 or so. I keep it there for the duration, however long that takes. I usually rub mine down with a nice Q rub for about 24 hours before cooking also, then cook it fat side up.[p]Hope this helps a bit. Good luck, you're in for some good eats.[p]Troy
  • Big Cat,
    If your cooking a whole brisket it can be somewhat tricky as it is comprised of two very different muscles the flat and the deckle commonly know as the point. Look for a brisket where the flat is fairly consistent in thickness they often taper off. Measure your internal temp in the flat only. This is a leaner muscle and the part that is often over cooked. The point because of the highr fat content will take care of itself. Seperate the two before carving and cut cross grain. Good eating.

• Big Cat,[p]Thanks for the help. How about favorite serving suggestions.[p]Big Cat

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Muzzy,
    Keep popping by when you get the chance. Your diverse expertise is always welcome and appreciated.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ