Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daisy Wheel

I'm looking at the other thread about the stainless cap.  Nice idea.  
But before I junk out my iron daisy wheel, a few questions:

First:   If I strip off the paint, will POWDER COATING take it or peel or or just rust thru?  

And Second:    i put the BGE stamping on the backside of the grill so the wheel stays PUT when I open the lid and doesn't slam open.   My local BGE outlet has some custom made BRASS thumbscrews which will secure the settings wherever you put them.   But the pieces are fairly expensive.  

Has Anyone ever addes some washers and a spring to make the adjustments a little 'stiffer'?  

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited June 2015
    Treat your DFMT like the cast iron it is . No need to powder coat.

I'm curious about the adjusters. I'm sure you're going to get lots of "just buy the SS cap" responses. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    I also put the BGE stamp on the backside. Could thought about the spring, sounds like it would work. I also have been thinking about the SS cap.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Airflow control is pretty much the same. 

It keeps the rain out. 

It gets HOT AS HELL! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    The extra hardware is not needed. Simply find your temp, then rotate the daisy wheel so that the two screws are perpendicular to the dome handle. When you open and close the dome, the adjustable wheel will hang rather than swing open. 

I have a couple of the Stainless Caps and they work very well in the rain and snow. However, i'm daisy wheelin' it if the weather is nice. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    +1 with the above on DFMT alignment.  Here's a great link to all things ceramic: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm
    Check out # 47 on the list.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    ... I have a couple of the Stainless Caps and they work very well in the rain and snow. However, i'm daisy wheelin' it if the weather is nice. 
    I don't really want to cook in the rain, so if it's going to be raining all day, I'm staying inside.  But SO many times in past years the day was gorgeous, but... there was a 20% or 30% chance of rain later in the day, and I didn't want to put on a long low and slow cook because I didn't want rain going through the Daisy Wheel straight onto my food if there was a hard rain later.  Now I have 2 SmokeWare caps and I don't worry about it at all -- I'm happy as clams.

But now that I have the SmokeWare caps, I don't see any advantage at all to the old Daisy Wheel ones.  They're rusting and collecting dust in my garage.  I think the Big Green Egg company should buy out SmokeWare and make their caps the default for the Big Green Egg.  So I'm curious -- why would you use the Daisy Wheels when you have SmokeWare?  What's the advantage?  Am I missing something?

Thanks!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I really don't have a problem with the daisy wheel.  If it bothers you enough to where you are considering a stainless steel cap then buy one.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @Big_Green_Craig hit the nail on the head. When you set the Daisy wheel as a pendellum .. it never moves - EVER!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    SoCalTim said:
    @Big_Green_Craig hit the nail on the head. When you set the Daisy wheel as a pendellum .. it never moves - EVER!
    and once it gets a little gunk on it, it works even better. My kamados are covered so rain is not an issue. i used to try and keep the DFMT clean, but now I just blast it once  a year, oil it and reseason. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have had my SS cap for close to a year now.
    I'm not even sure where my DFMT is now.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Skip the daisy wheel all together when doing your average cook.  It's not needed anything above 300 degrees. I only ever use my daisy wheel for low and slow temps. Big Green Egg never even sold the daisy wheel back in the early days with the egg. The daisy wheel just sits on the shelf otherwise 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Theophan said:
    ... I have a couple of the Stainless Caps and they work very well in the rain and snow. However, i'm daisy wheelin' it if the weather is nice. 
    I don't really want to cook in the rain, so if it's going to be raining all day, I'm staying inside.  But SO many times in past years the day was gorgeous, but... there was a 20% or 30% chance of rain later in the day, and I didn't want to put on a long low and slow cook because I didn't want rain going through the Daisy Wheel straight onto my food if there was a hard rain later.  Now I have 2 SmokeWare caps and I don't worry about it at all -- I'm happy as clams.

But now that I have the SmokeWare caps, I don't see any advantage at all to the old Daisy Wheel ones.  They're rusting and collecting dust in my garage.  I think the Big Green Egg company should buy out SmokeWare and make their caps the default for the Big Green Egg.  So I'm curious -- why would you use the Daisy Wheels when you have SmokeWare?  What's the advantage?  Am I missing something?

Thanks!
    I use the daisy wheel because I'm more comfortable with it. I know exactly where my temps are and I can dial it in precisely where I want it. Just a matter of preference, I guess.

I do cook in the rain, snow, sun, whatever. A little weather doesn't stop me.  I use the Stainless Cap in rain only. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I wouldn't take anything for my daisy wheel. It's been used so much that there is enough seasoning/gunk on it that it stays in place. It's extremely easy to fine tune the temp. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827

I do cook in the rain, snow, sun, whatever. A little weather doesn't stop me.  I use the Stainless Cap in rain only. 
    Now that's funny ... you've got a shiny DeLorean and you only take it for a drive in the rain.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Big_Green_Craig

Now that's funny ... you've got a shiny DeLorean and you only take it for a drive in the rain.
    I guess I'm just a sucker for the daisy wheel. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827

I guess I'm just a sucker for the daisy wheel. 
    Yep, I understand.  Just like I understand why some folks still have a black, dial, land-line phone.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I use the dfmt, but only for lo n slo cooks (which I don't do all that often) I avoid cooking in the rain if possible. Cold and snow are fine, but not rain. Sometimes I get surprised, but I just grab the $6 vent cap to keep the food dry. With lo n slo cooks with the dfmt, the vent cap fits, but it's not open wide enough to matter so I just let it go if it starts to rain.

Before Leroy built his coop, he did the same thing...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    I have found a Powder Coat which will withstand exhaust manifold temps.    That exceeds daisy wheel temp by a LOT.  \

Film at 11 when I know more.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I use the dfmt, but only for lo n slo cooks (which I don't do all that often) I avoid cooking in the rain if possible. Cold and snow are fine, but not rain. Sometimes I get surprised, but I just grab the $6 vent cap to keep the food dry. With lo n slo cooks with the dfmt, the vent cap fits, but it's not open wide enough to matter so I just let it go if it starts to rain.

Before Leroy built his coop, he did the same thing...

What is a $6 vent cap? 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    stemc33 said:
    What is a $6 vent cap? 
    Don't know if they still cost $6, but that's about what I paid. Fits snuggly over my large dfmt, or loosely over egg opening without dfmt.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The spring idea is a Primo innovation. I was happy with the daisy wheel as well, but must admit, once I switched to the sw cap i haven't missed it. Just put it on and keep it on. Mine fits great after about 3-5 cooks. It was a bit loose out of the box. As I have stated repeatedly, it is a luxury and not a necessity. Either way you can cook great food. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I use the daisy wheel because I'm more comfortable with it. I know exactly where my temps are and I can dial it in precisely where I want it. Just a matter of preference, I guess.

I get the thing about knowing where the temps are -- when I got the SmokeWare caps I had to re-learn how to set it for different temps.  Interesting how different different people are.  For me, the SmokeWare cap is so very much better than the daisy wheel I can't imagine using the DW ever again.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I think it might be the only one who is totally indifferent to the Smokeware cap. I have one and it's ok. It serves a purpose but I cooked for years without one even in driving rain. I don't love it nor do I hate it. It's just "meh" for me. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I don't use a DFMT enough to warrant spending money on the stainless steel cap, I only bother using the DFMT about 30% of my cooks. I only use it for temps lower than 300.