Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: egg station

Finally finished my pergola (or so I thought). My carpentry skills suck so I was proud of my work. My lovely wife finally told me she hated to say it but thinks she wants lads running perpendicular, too, to make a crisscross and give a little more shade. I'm thinking I'm gonna use 2x4's and lay them flat so I dont have to cut anymore 45's. Cant decide whether or not to over hand them or just flush them with the outside runners. Any thoughts, suggestions, or comments?  I went to pharm school so I didnt have to do this crap anymore. Did I mention I put doing this off til this week when the temp nearly reached 100 degrees?  And before anybody asks, hell naw arkansas don't have " dry heat". 

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• Anybody know why pic might have showed up as a thumbnail?  Usually shows up in the post. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Tell her to pound sand, looks good. :rofl: 
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Ask her for a couple bed sheets... tell her you're gonna drape them over the pergola for shade..... :)

San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I was in the same boat at that stage. Mrs3969 asked for more shade. I went with 2x2s with 3" spacing and glad I did. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2015
    Did you rip them or just buy them?  I didnt cut the 2x8's for the bottom band at all. They are just standard 12' (plus whatever extra they give so you can cut them even). I didnt cut squat. I cut 45's with chop saw and centered them with my posts and let it ride. So if I just go with 2x4's laid flat I can by 12 footers and not cut a darn thing. Just center them up and nail em down. Im bout through playing carpenter at home. Its time to build a few deer stands. I want this job done. But if yall think 2x2's would look better thats what I may do. 

Keep in mind, its sitting down off my back porch. The porch is covered. Not only that, the sunroom to the left of the porch is the only thing that keeps my porch from going ALL the way around my house. Its not like we have to have shade. This is a snow pic but gives u an idea of just how much porch space I have. 

Little Rock, AR

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Take the easy way out and just put a shade sail over it:

https://shadesails.com
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Tell her to pound sand, looks good. :rofl: 
    Yeah yeah. I dont think I'll be doing that. My ass will be sleeping out there under that sucker. besides, if i fix this just like she wants she wont say anything about any of my other projects that might not exacy be a wise investment. In the middle of discussing the additional lads I brought up buying another 100 acres and an old farm house near my 65 acres I already own in south arkansas. All she said was " if our house was paid forcwe could do it". Im on pace to have it paid forvthis time next year do all Im doung is keeping her as happy as possible. . 

Little Rock, AR

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Tell her to pound sand, looks good. :rofl: 
    Yeah yeah. I dont think I'll be doing that. My ass will be sleeping out there under that sucker. besides, if i fix this just like she wants she wont say anything about any of my other projects that might not exacy be a wise investment. In the middle of discussing the additional lads I brought up buying another 100 acres and an old farm house near my 65 acres I already own in south arkansas. All she said was " if our house was paid forcwe could do it". Im on pace to have it paid forvthis time next year do all Im doung is keeping her as happy as possible. . 
    Happy spouse, happy house. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Pergola looks great! I'd agree with Matt about the 2x3s. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    1x1 with 3 inch spacing on center.  You can thank me later. :-)
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Did you rip them or just buy them?  

I bought 2x4s and ripped in half. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.