Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank question

Options
Where does everyone buy their cedar planks? Best price in bulk, 10 for example.  Do they make a reusable plank? Is there a difference in brands? Any tips for using them? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    outdoorgourmet.com, they have bulk orders and seconds inexpensively.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I get mine at Costco; 7 for $8.99CD up here. You can reuse the plank (although I never have); not sure how many times. Guess it depends on how burned it gets.

Not sure there is one brand that is better than another.

I use mostly for salmon but have done pork tenderloin on them before.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    gpsegg said:
    outdoorgourmet.com, they have bulk orders and seconds inexpensively.
    +1. I bought some of their seconds. They work fine and they're easy on the wallet. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Some planks are larger and thicker than others. I'm not sure if that maters at all to you but I thought I would point it out. I'm a bit of a worry wart so I would also not use any products that are not designed for cooking. Could have chemicals in or on them. Lots of people just clean them off and reuse them. I pitch them. 
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    Western red Cedar dog ear picket fence boards from HomeDepot