Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two butts one egg?

Options
How will it impact my cooking time? Assume two 7 lbs butts.? Have 20 people coming over...can't mess this up on timing! Best temp for cooking. All advice is appreciated!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    there is no difference in timing between 2 butts and 1. One of them may cook a little faster than the other but that would be the case if you had 2 eggs and cooked one on each. They are all a little different but adding another butt does not change the cook time

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    ^^^, what he said.

When do you plan to serve them (pulled pork, I assume)?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DodgeVol said:
    Pulled pork.
    More interested in when you plan to cook and serve. That might help give you some advice re: cook temps. You can go low and slow if you have more time or turbo if less.

BTW, welcome the the forum.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Did 2 bone in butts 8 lbs each a couple of weeks ago. 350 dome indirect took a little over 5 hrs to get to 195 internal. Did not foil, let them rest for 30 minutes or so then pulled. Turned out great...16 folks and no leftovers.  :)

Opelika, Alabama
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited June 2015
    Options
    First welcome to the forum.. Buckdodger has a good turbo base line right above this post.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Keep up @Scottborasjr, two different posters!   ;)
    Options
    Yeah noticed right after I posted  =)

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yeah noticed right after I posted  =)

... and destroyed the evidence. Good thing I did not quote you.
    Options
    Make sure there is an air gap between the two.  If they touch at the start seperate them after they shrink.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DodgeVol
    DodgeVol Posts: 5
    Options
    8.75 and 8.5 pound butts. Serving at 4:00 tomorrow. Was planning on starting tonight at 10 pm at 250. Thoughts? Advice?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That sounds good. Just make sure you are setup for good airflow and load the charcoal to the bottom of your indirect piece. If you get to around noon tomorrow and are still well short of being done don't be afraid to bump the temp up to 300-350* to get it finished and time for the meat to rest before pulling. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I like simple problem s like yours.I might start about 8 am with a dome temp at 270 indirect setup and just enjoy yourself.I've never had bad bbq just some is better than others. It's just a learning thing.You can do it.All the above info is great, just don't be afraid of it.
  • DodgeVol
    DodgeVol Posts: 5
    Options
    Ok. One but is at 190 and the other one is at 175. What gives? They are a quarter pound different? Not serving until 500. What to do? Can I ftc a butt for8 hrs?
  • Rebhanmh
    Rebhanmh Posts: 79
    Options
    My experience from 3 days ago, I put two 10 pound Boston butts in at 225-250 for 17.5 hours and they were both at 203-205ish when I pulled them. With 3 hours left I pulled and wrapped them then bumped temp to 300 because the dome temp finally dropped below 200* and I couldn't raise it back up. (Added a few more coals and started another fire)
    LBGE
    Atoka, TN
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Great title. Was expecting to be horrified by a video.  :o
    It's a 302 thing . . .