Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody go caveman with burgers?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
after @bgebrent posted his terrific results with a ribeye a few minutes ago I have to ask if this method would work for hamburgers? My gut feeling is no due to the release of fat that will cause flame ups, versus the more solid faces of steaks. If this question has been beatin to death before then please forgive me! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    i think it would fall apart when you try to pick it up or move it.
  • RRP
    i think it would fall apart when you try to pick it up or move it.
    Good point! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    And if packed tightly/overworked to not fall apart might be tough?  Don't know.  Hope someone has tried it cuz I'm a convert on the steak.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    edited June 2015
    bgebrent said:
    And if packed tightly/overworked to not fall apart might be tough?  Don't know.  Hope someone has tried it cuz I'm a convert on the steak.
    I hear you - but I cut and then freeze my 80/20 burgers from a 10# tightly packed tube and have never had one fall apart so I too wonder if caveman might work.

• bgebrent
    @RRP, you should try it and inform. Your experience makes you our best bet!  Please?  Those 80/20's look ready for Jucy Lucy land! =)
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Some kind of open basket set down in the coals?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    I'm thinking that would be nasty IMHO.  Can't imagine the sparks would knock off too well.  Nothing worse than biting into dirty grit.  
  • bgebrent
    @Wolfpack, good idea!  Copper flat veggie grill grid on top of the coals.  Brilliant!  Would keep the burger intact with all the fire/heat.  Would allow turning etc...
  • RRP
    bgebrent said:
    @Wolfpack, good idea!  Copper flat veggie grill grid on top of the coals.  Brilliant!  Would keep the burger intact with all the fire/heat.  Would allow turning etc...
    OTOH my cast iron grate on my small which is my "burger machine" keeps me dumb and happy with the results time after time. Guess I need to chance the possibility of a burger failure lunch sometime in the future!
  • bgebrent
    @RRP, I like your thinking!  You can do it!  Please put on the experiment.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Do it!.. Do it,.. Do it!.. Shouts the crowd. 

Lying it in the coals should minimize flare ups. I'm sure it'd pick up a bit more ash than a steak. Other than that, if you can keep it together it should work.  
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    What's the key feature of caveman cooking? Really high heat? What if you drop a small cast iron skillet half buried in the coals and then cook on that? High heat, no flare ups, no ash and coals in your food.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bgebrent
    Nope.  It's the flame, direct on the coals.  CI is great but gives a different result.  And with caveman if using good lump (I use Rockwood), there is no ash on your food. Reference pics from my cook referenced at the top of this thread.  And flare ups are essential to the outcome.  Renders the fat.  Protein on top of hot coals.  Try it @Toxarch.  You'll like it.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:

The important thing is getting everything exactly the same size. :rofl: 
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/anal-retentive-chef/n9695

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited June 2015
    Good one @Carolina Q. :lol:  , as soon as I seen the burgers @RRP posted, I instantly thought about his potato cutting trick. Ron is definitely the forums Anal Retentive Chef. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174855/a-little-hasselback-potato-cutting-trick-edited
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You're not going to get the same searing effect as you will on a CI or CS pan, so I don't see the point.