Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Thermapen all that?

Options

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    YES!! Buy one ASAP
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    Look at the thermopop if price is a concern. 30 bucks well spent, I like mine.
    Ditto. It reads in a few seconds and we're cooking meat, not fine chocolates candies and pastries 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    Look at the thermopop if price is a concern. 30 bucks well spent, I like mine.
    Ditto. It reads in a few seconds and we're cooking meat, not fine chocolates candies and pastries 
    Is a donut a pastry? =)

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I've been thinking what I can get my sister and future brother-in-law for their wedding this weekend.  I think it's going to be a Thermapen. Something that will come in handy the more they begin to cook. Plus it beats some stupid punch bowl or napkin holder that they won't use. I was thinking a Weber charcoal grill but for $100+ new it's too much when you can find them 2nd hand hardly used for $20
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    It's all that and a bag of chips....
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Thermapens are great. I've got a couple of them.

However, I also have one of these: http://lavatools.co/products/javelin

My experience with them has been excellent. Well made. Responds almost as fast as the Thermapen (about 1 second difference). You get 95% of the performance of the Thermapen for 25% of the price.

Amazon also sells them - http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ

For just $25 I think they are a no brainer.

P.S. - I have no idea which color Javelin performs the best. Mine is Indigo but perhaps I should get one in Chipotle to see if it runs any hotter (see what I did there heh-heh).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you don't understand the importance of owning and using a Thermapen...you should not buy one.  You will one day, and kick yourself for waiting. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    If you don't understand the importance of owning and using a Thermapen...you should not buy one.  You will one day, and kick yourself for waiting. JMO
    I don't think the question was to debate whether purchasing and using a quick read thermometer was worth it.  I think the need is pretty well defined.  I think the question was (for those "in the know") to see how much better the Thermapen was vs. all of the other competitors.  Based on the responses I think the extra cost is justified.  I got exactly what I wanted out of this discussion.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    There is nothing I have cooked on the Egg that the ThermoPop did not serve its purpose and was just fine. 

I would appreciate @SMITTYtheSMOKER to give a few reasons for the importance of owning a ThermoPen. I don't get it -  for Egging anyway.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Yes they TPens are entirely worth it.  Once you get used to cooking with it, you will use it for EVERYthing you cook, both inside and outside.  I recently helped grill at a neighbors house and was SO wishing I had my TPen with me to verify the steaks and chicken were done!
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    @THEBuckeye is right. You can get the best one....., or the one that's almost as good. I chose to get the best one, but to each his own. You can usually get the Thermopen on sale for $79.00. 
    GWN
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    When you order your Thermapen the backlite feature is nice and the magnetic glow in the dark boot is really nice. I have all of them and love them.

Thanks to a review by @RRP about the timestick, I bought a timestick trio and it is awesome also! Both come highly recommended!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    Nanook said:
    @THEBuckeye is right. You can get the best one....., or the one that's almost as good. I chose to get the best one, but to each his own. You can usually get the Thermopen on sale for $79.00. 
    Ya - I'm usually a "best one" kinda guy. I own an Egg after all but I just don't see a $50 benefit for what I cook on the Egg. 

BGE sells one (instant read) for $112. Wonder if there are any comments on that out there?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Do you have to have it?  No. But, imho the TP is fast, accurate and reasonably priced especially if ya catch em in sale. I have 2. One for home and one for work and I use them a lot. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    There is nothing I have cooked on the Egg that the ThermoPop did not serve its purpose and was just fine. 

I would appreciate @SMITTYtheSMOKER to give a few reasons for the importance of owning a ThermoPen. I don't get it -  for Egging anyway.
    When the Thermapen first came out it was pretty much the only thermometer in its class.

Times change and there are some models available that are much cheaper - even when you can get the Thermapen on sale - that offer the same performance.

The Thermopops are neat (I've got one) but I really think that for the same price as the Thermopop the Lavatools Javelin is a better deal and certainly more pocketable. The Lavatools Javelin also has a magnet in it and I always keep one stuck under my stainless prep table outside so its always nearby.

Actually, the thermometer I use most of the time is a handheld Thermoworks model with one of their long length type K penetration probes so I can poke around and keep my head and the display out of the smoke.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Your Thermopop is a suitable instant read.  No doubt about it.  If I had the choice, I will take the Thermapen over any instant read, but that's just me.  The folks who don't understand the need for an instant read are the ones worry about.

I find it comical that many a backyard cook will go to great lengths to flavor their meats all the while they overcook every cook.  Cooking the meat perfectly is the first key to a great cook. IMO   

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER thanks for the feedback
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeLife
    SmokeLife Posts: 64
    Options
    Worth every penny, well constructed and works flawlessly. I would buy another one.
    Large BGE
  • BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    Yes
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • chadpsualum
    edited June 2015
    Options

Your Thermopop is a suitable instant read.  No doubt about it.  If I had the choice, I will take the Thermapen over any instant read, but that's just me.  The folks who don't understand the need for an instant read are the ones worry about.

I find it comical that many a backyard cook will go to great lengths to flavor their meats all the while they overcook every cook.  Cooking the meat perfectly is the first key to a great cook. IMO   

I do appreciate the feedback.  However, I am wondering where in this thread was it questioned whether or not an instant read thermometer was necessary?  The spirit of the thread was to discern value of a higher priced model vs. 'the rest of the field'.  With that said, I appreciate your views regarding making sure that the food you are cooking is cooked appropriately.  I am guessing that is why we all spend time on this forum.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Hello Chad in Pittsburgh,

Some people regret not buying the best, never had a person wish they hadn't bought a Thermapen.  That would be the point I would like to make to you. 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• dayzed&confused
    Options
    Best thing I have bought except the egg itself.
    San Angelo, texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options

I do appreciate the feedback.  However, I am wondering where in this thread was it questioned whether or not an instant read thermometer was necessary?  The spirit of the thread was to discern value of a higher priced model vs. 'the rest of the field'.  With that said, I appreciate your views regarding making sure that the food you are cooking is cooked appropriately.  I am guessing that is why we all spend time on this forum.
    @chadpsualum  ... maybe it's just me, but when I read the title of the post,
      I read into it a bit of a 'defiant' tone, maybe others read that too. I dunno - I could be wrong.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • chadpsualum
    Options
    @SoCalTim ... I guess I could see that (although wasn't intended).  However wouldn't any defiance be focused on Thermapen.  If I called the Post "Are Instant Read Thermometers All That?" then I could see the discussion swinging another way. Regardless...I think I got the pulse on the general consensus of this Brand...it's worth it.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    There are a number of us that have been using a Thermapen for many years, which leads to many of the endorsements you see. In today's market, there are a couple of competing brands that are making thermometers with similar performance. Based on spec sheets and price they stack up favorably with the Thermapen. What I don't know is how well they will last. I have seen a number of comments of long-time Thermapen users expressing their satisfaction. I have not seen the same of the other brands. It may be that they have not been on the market that long or they just are not popular with the egging community.  I have had my Thermapen for over 8 years. Not a problem with it. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    own it.......love it.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have the ThermoPop and it can take about 4 to 6 seconds to get a reading and the the Thermopen does it in about 2 seconds.  They just recently had a one sale for them at $77.  I like my TPop and 5 seconds is good for me.  You can also move the readout so you can take a reading from about anywhere and it has a back-lit button.  I had some cheaper ones and they lasted about 2 cooks.  I have had mine for over a year and it is still going strong on the same battery.
    @chadpsualum, Like I said above I have other $20 instant read thermometers and they did not last long at all.  I have had the ThermoPop for over a year and it is great and going strong.  I have even used it to check the water temp of the water I was going to use to make pizza dough and it gave me a very quick reading.  I and others on here feel it or the Thermopen are the best on the market and why spend money on something you are going to have to replace over and over again.  Buy one or the other and you will be happy.  I see where the Tpen would be needed for competition or in a restaurant, but I don't need it that quick and like the design of the TPop.  I don't think you can go wrong with either of them.  

Amazon's review for both are 5 stars with over 1000 reviews for the tpen and over 500 for the TPop.  That is hard to beat.  If money is an issue get the TPop.  Best $30 bucks I have ever spent.

http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-Super-Fast-Professional-Thermocouple-Thermometer/dp/B002GIZZWM/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435346571&sr=1-2&keywords=thermapen

http://www.amazon.com/ThermoWorks-ThermoPop-Super-Fast-Thermometer-Rotating/dp/B00HZVJM4M/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1435346655&sr=1-4&keywords=thermapen

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    There are a number of us that have been using a Thermapen for many years, which leads to many of the endorsements you see. In today's market, there are a couple of competing brands that are making thermometers with similar performance. Based on spec sheets and price they stack up favorably with the Thermapen. What I don't know is how well they will last. I have seen a number of comments of long-time Thermapen users expressing their satisfaction. I have not seen the same of the other brands. It may be that they have not been on the market that long or they just are not popular with the egging community.  I have had my Thermapen for over 8 years. Not a problem with it. 
    One additional factor to consider is the positive customer service that forum members have experienced.  Customer service for the other companies MIGHT be great, but it IS great with Thermoworks.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max