Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Wings?

Options
I am planning on doing wings for the first time tonight but there are so many different temps/cook times on the forum for wings that I don't really know where to begin. I have about 30 wings marinating in 3 different sauces overnight as well as some pecan chips soaking. I am planning on smoking indirect but I'm just not sure what temp and cook time to start with. I've also noticed several people are smoking wings indirect with a raised grid. Why the raised grid? 
LBGE- Charleston, SC 

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I'm sure somebody will be along soon to help. @NPHuskerFL does a lot of chicken. Try looking through some of his threads. I wish I could help, but I've only done wings once. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Kyle919
    Kyle919 Posts: 28
    Options
    I usually do mine at 300 indirect for an hour.  I use pecan or apple for smoke.  Also I don't marinade because I like crispy skin so after I put my seasonings on them i give them a light dusting of corn starch.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Raised Direct at 375 for about 20 minutes a side OR

Smoke Low and Slow Indirect at 250 for 2 - 2 1/2 hours for fall of the bone.

I'll use apple for raised direct and pimento for JERK wings low and slow. 

Raised Grid reduces flair-ups yet still will give you some crisp. Spatchcock chicken is also cooked raised direct. 

You will LOVE the wings. Wait for the "these are the best wings I've ever had" comment! 

New Albany, Ohio 

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Allegro hot n spicy marinade. Soak em for 5 days and grill raised direct like @THEBuckeye said. My favorite!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @cazzy has a genuinely legit recipe floating around. I've done them at different temps (normally around 275℉-375℉)  direct, raised direct, indirect, raised indirect, multilevel indirect, rub, sauce, glaze etc etc. Play around with it. There's not necessarily a right or wrong way. Unsauced and high in the dome will help get them crispy from my experience. I normally sauce toward the last 15-20 minutes so they don't over carmelize. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @cazzy has a genuinely legit recipe floating around. I've done them at different temps (normally around 275℉-375℉)  direct, raised direct, indirect, raised indirect, multilevel indirect, rub, sauce, glaze etc etc. Play around with it. There's not necessarily a right or wrong way. Unsauced and high in the dome will help get them crispy from my experience. I normally sauce toward the last 15-20 minutes so they don't over carmelize. 
    I think @Mickey knows a "wrong" way.  =)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    350 indirect for about 45 minutes to an hour, according to how many and how you like them. I lightly sauce mine immediately as I take them up with sweet baby ray. Turns out great every time. It also helps to raise the grate up if you can.  
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I think @Mickey knows a "wrong" way.  =)
    Raised-Direct-400-TIME: football half and nap. (Adult beverage involved)....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I always go 400 indirect 30-20-10.
    I also did some wings once when I was doing a pulled pork. I had about a dozen wings just calling my name so I thawed them and put them on towards the end of  the cook for a low and slow, they turned out great as well. I will do a full set of wings low and slow for the next run.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    BTW, @ChucktownEggHead, welcome to the forum and the lifestyle!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Besides the above charred wings, I cool lots of chicken and turkey wings the same. 
    400, direct, raised and about 35 + or - . No sauce till last 10 min. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Oh & yes welcome to the zoo
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. 
    Regarding wings, as you recognize there are about as many ways to cook them as posters.  So pick one, run with it-remember the cook and then change it up next time etc.  Bottom line, you get to eggsperiment with wing cooks quite frequently in search of the "holy grail".
    I have recently landed in the raised direct ( quite high in the dome) camp at around 350-375*F, turning after around 20-25 mins, then flip once more.  Off the BGE and into the sauce.  Then it depends on whether I toss them back on to crisp up or not.  (choices, choices).  Enjoy the cook and eats.
    BTW-just to add to the mix here's a link to a very good indirect process:
    http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/06/30-20-10-smoked-hot-wings.html
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Does anybody cook to temp?  Do you know what the IT temp is when cooked "your" way?  Is there an ideal target temp?

Why I ask is that I cooked a batch indirect (wings at the felt line) at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, flipped and let cook for an additional 20 minutes.  Checked IT to see how close the wings were to done and found it to be around 200 degrees. Not wanting to cook my wings like @Mickey does/did, they were immediately pulled ... I counted that as a fail even though the wings tasted good.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Does anybody cook to temp?  
    For wings, no.
    Options
    Hiya!

In general, there are standard temp ranges for desired results, but the cook time is really hard to predict. Too many variables. Size, for instance. Used to be, wings were quite small, and took almost no time to cook. Now, most of what shows up in the market is 2 -3 times bigger. Did some last night, and some of the "drumettes" were about as big as some thighs, and maybe thicker than a real drum stick. One of the best and most useful accesories to get is a quick read thermometer. Thermopens are the standard.

You say you have the wings marinadeing in 3 different sauces. Any of the sauce/marinade have lots of sugar? You won't want to cook those to hot, because the sugar can burn. Dome 300F is pretty safe.

Marinades do more than infuse flavor. If there are oils and/or vinegars, an overnight soak will denature some of the meat, so a faster cook is a good idea to avoid dryness.

If you want crispy skin, the chicken usually needs to cook in a 400 - 450 range, which is easy to do if cooking direct. Cooked either direct or indirect, the pieces will probably need flipping at least once. That in itself is a good reason to cook raised at the felt line. Makes the task much easier. If cooking indirect, during shorter cooks, it is warmer up closer to the dome than lower. I've measured as much as 50 degrees warmer at the dome than at the lower grill position.

Don't fuss too much, enjoy yourself. Pay attention, takes notes if you can, and when you find a method that suits you, repeat with confidence.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @gdenby, good point about the size of the wings. Here in the GWN, the wings I buy (at Costco) are the smaller variety. I think there are regulations about how chickens are raised here that precludes getting the much larger wings. It also explains why when I see 40 minutes to cook wings it sounds too long to me.

Options
    Welcome to the forum, as you can tell, many ways to skin a cat. 

@Jeepster47 the last wings I did the temp crept up on me and they were done more quickly than I expected. IT was 200. Best I've made. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    lots of options and advice above, try a few. 

the thing about wings, they have lots of skin and bone relative to the amount of meat - and they're dark meat, so you really have to try hard to overcook them or dry them out. 

However, they're easy to burn, so that's why you see a variety of methods and temps.  if you cook direct, you generally have to be more engaged to flip and ensure they're not burning.
  • FooserX
    FooserX Posts: 4
    Options
    As long as you don't have rubber skin, it'll be good. That's the tricky part though.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Steps to eliminate the "rubber skin".  Let the wings air-dry overnight in the fridge-sitting on a grate over a cookie pan for air circulation.  No grate, air-dry anyhow.  Then dust with a light coating of corn starch before the final prep and cook.  Should solve the skin issue.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I have marinaded my last few wing cooks, and while they come out great, I suspect it is not required.  For such small pieces of meat they really absorb a lot of flavor from the lump/smoke and any rub or sauce you may use.  And being fatty dark meat cooking in an egg, keeping them moist isn't an issue.

Let us know how your cook goes and if you notice a difference in flavor between the 3.   I think you will if you grill them right out of the marinade (with no rub or extra sauce).  If you are going to rub them or sauce them, that'll be the dominate flavor...along with the great lump taste.  I could also be 100% wrong.  :)

Where is the talking out my ass emoticon?  I need that for most of my posts...  :lol: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @Jeepster47, if it tasted good, by no means was it a fail unless you were looking for a desired texture, color, flavor profile etc and came up short. 

Now undercooking and getting sick would of been a fail. I think we sometimes get a little to focused on cooking to temp on the forum. Yes, my ThermoPop has made me a much better cook with more consistency. With that said, we all need to remember that cooking to temp is mostly about keeping us safe. 

For the most part, the majority of the EggHeads don't worry about not pulling a pork butt when it hits 200° if it's not probing like butter. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @KiterTodd - don't mean to be a smart ass but, I always thought that the wing and breast were considered white meat with the leg and thigh being dark.
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @KiterTodd - don't mean to be a smart ass but, I always thought that the wing and breast were considered white meat with the leg and thigh being dark.
    Doh!  You're right.  Did you miss the talking out my ass part?  

Wings always eat like dark meat to me...I guess cuz like thighs they are a forgiving cook and are small, fatty, with lots of little veins and gross bits.  Just like the true dark meat.   I really need that emoticon...   :)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Welcome! I always do my wings 375°-400° raised indirect. The higher in the dome, the better. Cook time is about 55-60 min. I toss in preheated sauce immediately after they come off the Egg. 
    GWN
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Doh!  You're right.  Did you miss the talking out my ass part?  

Wings always eat like dark meat to me...I guess cuz like thighs they are a forgiving cook and are small, fatty, with lots of little veins and gross bits.  Just like the true dark meat.   I really need that emoticon...   :)
    I suppose I would have used the head scratching emoticon if it were still available.
    Options
    I think it's both depending on what you read.  If I remember correctly, I think KFC always paired wings with breasts for all white meat orders, so that should settle it scientifically.

It really has more to do with how the muscles are used (quick burst vs duration) and what they store and use for energy, oxygen need, etc.  But that's boring.  Wings taste more like dark meat to me, very different from breast meat - for chickens and turkey anyway.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Legume said:

... the thing about wings ... they're dark meat ...
    That's what I thought until KFC put wings in my "all white meat" order.  Checking on the internet - where only the truth resides - this is what I found:

The color of the meat is determined by the Myoglobin in it.  The more the muscle group works, the more Myoglobin is in the meat.  Thus, dark meat is from muscle groups that work the most ... legs and thighs in domestic chickens.  Since chickens do not do a lot of flying, the wings are pretty much useless ... thus wing meat is white.  Birds that fly - ducks and geese - have breast and wing meat that is much darker than domestic birds because they use those muscles.

That was very clear until this sentence was added:

When cooking wings you should treat them as dark meat. They take longer to cook. But technically they are white meat.

Hows that for clarification?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Legume said:

... the thing about wings ... they're dark meat ...
    That's what I thought until KFC put wings in my "all white meat" order.  Checking on the internet - where only the truth resides - this is what I found:

The color of the meat is determined by the Myoglobin in it.  The more the muscle group works, the more Myoglobin is in the meat.  Thus, dark meat is from muscle groups that work the most ... legs and thighs in domestic chickens.  Since chickens do not do a lot of flying, the wings are pretty much useless ... thus wing meat is white.  Birds that fly - ducks and geese - have breast and wing meat that is much darker than domestic birds because they use those muscles.

That was very clear until this sentence was added:

When cooking wings you should treat them as dark meat. They take longer to cook. But technically they are white meat.

Hows that for clarification?