Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SmokeWare Cap

I noticed some people have this cap, I would like your thoughts. Why switch, does it make a difference, is it adjustable?
LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I don't have one but, I believe some of the benefits are that it keeps rain out and the size (i.e., positioning) of the air gap does not change when the lid is opened. I also will not rust like the oem egg cap.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Well, I don't cook in the rain, plus I have a cover.  I assume you can't adjust the air gap.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Well, I don't cook in the rain, plus I have a cover.  I assume you can't adjust the air gap.
    Not sure how much it rains there in NC but, those are egging days you won't get back.  =)

No, it is adjustable... you just twist the cap to set the vent spacing on the sides.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    The smokeware cap air gap is adjustable.  It maintains your setting when you open your egg. I wish they made one for the mini max. Damn daisy wheel always flops open or closed when opening the egg. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Like @TexanOfTheNorth says, when it rains those are 'eggin' days you won't get back.  Also, how many times have you been doing a cook and unexpectedly it started to rain.  It is not a necessity but I find it a great accessory. 

Long Island, NY
  • Danielson
    Danielson Posts: 54
    Are they airtight enough to smother the fire and reuse lump charcoal?
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Danielson said:
    I guess you would just take it off, and put the egg cap on
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • grillman65
    radamo said:
    Like @TexanOfTheNorth says, when it rains those are 'eggin' days you won't get back.  Also, how many times have you been doing a cook and unexpectedly it started to rain.  It is not a necessity but I find it a great accessory. 

I do have a carport, so if it looks like rain, I move my grill.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Danielson said:
    I guess you would just take it off, and put the egg cap on
    It's tight enough that when you rotate it closed, the fire will go out.

NOLA
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    The Smokeware cap is not a necessity, but it has several advantages which make it a neat accessory for a number of folks:

1) Keeps precipitation, both solid and wet, out of the egg during cooks.

2) Keeps precipitation out of the egg when you're not using it and you want to vent the egg to prevent internal mold from forming.

3) Is easy to adjust ... turn it one way and the airflow increases, turn it the other way and the airflow decreases.  A much simpler concept than the daisy wheel.

4) The setting doesn't change when the lid is opened.

5) Looks like it belongs on the egg ... stainless steel venting on the top of the egg just like the stainless steel on the bottom.

6) Doesn't need extra attention to prevent rust.  In fact, it can be cleaned in your dishwasher.

7) Doesn't break if dropped on the concrete.

Concerns: Like the daisy wheel, because of manufacturing tolerances, it's not air tight when shutting down the egg.  Some think the daisy wheel doesn't snuff the fire fast enough, so they use the ceramic cap for a more positive shut down.  Likewise, some think the Smokeware cap doesn't snuff the fire fast enough.  To answer that concern, Matt introduced the "Flat Cap" which replicates the effectiveness of the ceramic cap.

I happen to love my cap.  In fact, for the last egg purchase my dealer gave me a Smokeware cap in exchange for my new-in-the-box daisy wheel.  Worked out good for both of us.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    The smokeware cap air gap is adjustable.  It maintains your setting when you open your egg. I wish they made one for the mini max. Damn daisy wheel always flops open or closed when opening the egg. 
    Love the one on my large. I cook topless on the MM. If it's gonna rain I move to the garage. If it starts raining, I put something on the large and use the SW to cover mm top. 

Not it sure id buy one for MM, but wouldn't go back on the large. 
  • Jeepster47
    ... I wish they made one for the mini max. ...
    @pescadorzih ... The cost of tooling to manufacture the cap is very expensive.  Probably too expensive to be profitable making a unique cap to fit the MM (and the small?). I've heard there is an adapter that is currently being tested that will allow the present cap to fit snugly on the MM.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Is it as easy as the daisy wheel to take off and on?  I'm wondering about the ability get full airflow like when I go topless for startups or certain cooks?

In terms of the issues for some with tightness, is there a reasonable way to add some felt to make the seal tight?  Or, is it too tight to allow that?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • grillman65
    They do look nice on the egg.  I just might have to order one.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • Adrock
    Adrock Posts: 93
    here we go......

Victoria, MN
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    @cssmd27 yes. The cap is two pieces. The top just lifts off. My base, however is welded to the egg either with grease or melted gasket not sure which.   No big deal to me. 
  • Tackman
    Tackman Posts: 230
    I like mine. Would never go back to the daisy wheel.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I have SmokeWare caps for both my Medium and Large, and I am very happy with them.  I've had frustrating problems, over the years, with mold in the Eggs if I went for several weeks without egging, and I was told that it's because I left the ceramic caps on, that there needed to be air flow to prevent mold.  Well, you can't leave the daisy wheels on all the time, because it rains.  Plus they rusted on me again and again.

I don't intend to cook in the rain on purpose, but I really hated seeing a weather forecast with 20 or 30% chance of rain if I wanted a low and slow cook, because with the daisy wheel, I felt like there would be some water dripping right into the hot Egg if it did rain.  Now I feel much more able to put on a low-and-slow cook and not worry about whether a shower comes along -- the SmokeWare cap will keep the rain out.

And yes, it's as easy to take off and put on as the daisy wheel.  One part stays on the Egg, the other part just lifts off.

And for me, at least, it seems to put the fire out as fast as ever when I close it all the way.  They now make caps you can use to make an even more airtight seal, but I've had multiple cooks, now, on the same bunch of lump, so I don't think I've had much trouble getting the fire out.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Tackman said:
    I like mine. Would never go back to the daisy wheel.
    I'd probably get one but, I cook coverless.
    cssmd27 said:
    Is it as easy as the daisy wheel to take off and on?  I'm wondering about the ability get full airflow like when I go topless for startups or certain cooks?

In terms of the issues for some with tightness, is there a reasonable way to add some felt to make the seal tight?  Or, is it too tight to allow that?
    The bottom half of the SW cap has a felt/Nomex seal that holds it tight to the egg.  The top half easily lifts off the unit for those times when you want to go topless ... or remove/add the flat cap.

Too tight to add a seal ... well, at least a felt seal.

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Thanks all!  Sounds like the part touching the egg already has a felt seal and that's what I was curious about.

Do most of you start the fire with tops off or just opened up?  
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Position the Daisy wheel like a Pendulum with the BGE logo to the left and the bolt that holds the top towards you, the wheel WILL NOT flop or move or swivel or anything.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    cssmd27 said:
    Thanks all!  Sounds like the part touching the egg already has a felt seal and that's what I was curious about.

Do most of you start the fire with tops off or just opened up?  
    start with the top off most of the time unless deliberately starting a small fire for L&S
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    ... I wish they made one for the mini max. ...
    @pescadorzih ... The cost of tooling to manufacture the cap is very expensive.  Probably too expensive to be profitable making a unique cap to fit the MM (and the small?). I've heard there is an adapter that is currently being tested that will allow the present cap to fit snugly on the MM.

That would be great. 
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Damn daisy wheel always flops open or closed when opening the egg. 
    Turn your DFMT 90 degrees where the set screw is facing the front on the egg and you won't have this problem. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    If you have trouble getting the coals to go out or you are a "purist" you can also buy a plug to help extinguish the coals faster. Nice little upgrade, I use mine in its original "rustic" form and like it. I did not have any bad experiences with the cast damper, but the smokeware cap is kinda cool and easy to use. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    With using the SmokeWare Cap and  Rockwood lump and it's efficiency, I can get 20 L&S cooks out of one loading of lump !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Smoke ware cap is excellent.  Finely adjustable, closes down airtight and as mentioned is great in rain. I have two daisy wheels and ceramic caps if anyone wants them. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeepster47
    dldawes1 said:
    With using the SmokeWare Cap and  Rockwood lump and it's efficiency, I can get 20 L&S cooks out of one loading of lump !!!!
    @dldawes1 ... that's cool, but it's too easy to do with an XL ... try doing it with a Large!

• dmirish1
    dmirish1 Posts: 115
    I went pretty cheap with my rain cap and got a 6" house vent cap. It fits pretty snug on top the cast iron daisy wheel. If need be, I move it over to the minimax if I need to. 

Winchester, Virginia LBGE, MiniMax