Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I?

Options
2»

Comments

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @dougcrann, back to your original post. The thing you said you never liked about the XL was lump consumption when cooking burgers for two. If lump consumption is really a concern, a MM up-to a medium would probably serve you best. I was always amazed at what people put on the mini's, but really like the space I have on my large even when it's only two burgers. Cramming food onto a mini is impressive, just not what I want to do. But so far the MM rocks when it comes to two burgers. I've only been using enough lump to cover the bottom. When the lump is spread out it is below the vent holes in the firebox. 

It it is a true lump miser. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I forgot to mention. Most times when I cook burgers, it's because I'm picking something that grills quicker. Don't get me wrong, I crave burgers even when time isn't a concern. Anyway, in addition to the lump savings, the MM heats up quick. I'm not really setup to cook indirect yet, but the grilling aspect of it makes it well worth it. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    SGH said:
    dougcrann said:
    They have one large left of the discounted ones...they bought 4 dozen of them 
    Just curious, why are they discounted? I ask because I bought a discounted older large egg. I have been nothing but pleased with it thus far. 
    Because they purchased 48 of them at once...when a retailer buys that many at once the Mothership allows them to discount the price somewhat.
    To those that are claiming they can cook half a side of beef on a Mini, not the MM but the smallest one....you do realize that the grate is advertized at 10"...in reality it is only 9". Burgers we make are a touch under 5" in diameter....care to explain to me how I am going to cook more than one at a time? And to the member that had the ribs shoehorned together...you will never convince me they were as flavorful as a rack cooked buy itself. With them shoehorned like that I found it almost impossible that they were very smokey. Yet another thread I regret starting....I honestly don't know why I bother anymore....
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Dobie said:
    dougcrann said:
    Dobie said:
    OK you're justifying the large cost because the XL burns too much lump  =)
    got cha. 
    There is more to it than that. Seems like every time we make ribs, a butt or a chuckie we make beans with it. I just use our XL when the butt or chuckie is resting...but with the ribs....Sure, the wife can just use her oven but I am really starting to enjoy cooking outdoors. I am currently working on a Reverse Flow smoker as well. I have been looking at the large for quite some time now.
    Seriously was not expecting some of the sarcasm...
    Jesus....do you need our approval or did you expect an intervention? You're wound tight dude. Just buy the fuckin thing if you can afford it...seriously. 
    Go **** yourself you worthless pile of ****....douchebag...
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2015
    Options

This is the 3.5 Pound Tri Tip I did a low and slow, then reverse sear. Came out perfect, on the MM.

Dude chill. I have an XL too. I know what you mean about firing that bad boy up for two. That is one of the reasons, (there are many) why I bought a MM. If a large is in your budget, get it and bring it home. 
    I personally like my MM because we travel a lot, we love the great outdoors,
    the temp is easy to control, it is fast, and I can do a complete meal for two( or more) where ever, whenever we want.
    If these things are not what you want or need then don't consider the MM.
    Enjoy your purchase, use it, have fun. That is all that should matter anyhow.
    Peace.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Asking for opinions of strangers and others on an internet forum about how one should spend their own money is a complete waste of time, and often brings out the worst online bahvior in a few responders (Dobie in this instance) as well as more than too many differing opinions putting you basically back to....square one in the decisioning process anyway.

If by asking so many experts you think you'll avoid some type of "purchase mistake" it wont, and taking group advice(s) actually may sway you away from your own gut desire, towards something others see more fit for you...most of us don't "know" each other that way and those of us that do likely exchange ideas and advice offline.

But its not their purchase and they arent you. Do what YOU feel is best...what do YOU want? Assuming were all over 18 here, our decision making skills are likely as good as they are going to be, and well frankly, a BGE isnt a life-changing decision. It's a bbq!

I think I understand what Dobie (very uneloquently) is saying, and I agree with the sentiment.  Buy what you want....youre the one paying for it and will be using it. And at the end of the day, nobody gives a rip about what you choose, except for you.

Good luck man....do whats right for you.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)