Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid underbite

Options
Arghhhh!

I use my brand new LBGE one time and I get this.  What's worse is I don't see a single thing that will fix it.  I've reset the lid a dozen different ways, the last time removing the springs, placing the lid perfectly, then torquing the band before replacing the springs.  It was friggin perfect and now this.

Comments

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    I would not worry about it.  My xl does the same thing.  Seal is still good.  No smoke leaks.  
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it, but for kicks and giggles you can do this. Measure first your base from 12:00 to 6:00 and then 9:00 to 3:00. Record those readings.Then do the same with your dome. Do they all match up? If not you will never be able to adjust it. They just may be slightly out of round.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 78 T140E
    78 T140E Posts: 110
    Options
    Arghhhh!

I use my brand new LBGE one time and I get this.  What's worse is I don't see a single thing that will fix it.  I've reset the lid a dozen different ways, the last time removing the springs, placing the lid perfectly, then torquing the band before replacing the springs.  It was friggin perfect and now this.
    So, what problems do you have because of this 'Lid underbite'?  Have you talked to your dealer about it?
  • shadowrider
    shadowrider Posts: 108
    Options
    RRP I'll try that tomorrow.  I don't mind it if the gasket will seal all the way around which I can't get it to do after opening it a few times.
  • shadowrider
    Options
    I'll be talking to them Tuesday when they open back up.  I'm sure they'll do what they can, they are really solid so far.  I have a beer can chicken on it right now, if it holds like it's currently set it'll be fine.
  • MN_ICK
    MN_ICK Posts: 3
    Options
    My photo is a few posts ago today.   Just picked it up & it's more then 1/4" off.  I would think the rain would be hard on it when leaving it out in the weather cooling it off.  The $$$$ we spend I would expect it lined up.   Will contact the dealer tomorrow but I was hoping for a fix ;-)

-E
  • shadowrider
    Options
    Well I have a warranty claim in now.  I was able to adjust it again and so far it's held, but I'm not holding my breath.  It seems that on mine the hinge brackets that attach to the top and bottom bands on the left side aren't parallel.  Here's what I did.

1) Opened lid, had a helper hold it open while I removed the springs, then closed lid.

2) Loosened up all 8 acorn nuts on the hinge brackets.

3) Using a crescent wrench I torqued upward pretty hard on the upper hinge half which in my case brings the tabs closer to parallel and tightened the hell out of the acorn nuts while holding the hinge torqued upward in the closed position.

4) Open lid and re-attach springs.

This gives it a bit less underbite.  It still has some, but it's totally acceptable now and more importantly the gasket seals much better.  Now it's about as loose as you can get on the dollar bill test and not leak smoke and the looseness is right in the front now, the rest of the way around is good and tight.  The tabs still aren't parallel but so far so good.

Here's a pic of what I had going on.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I'm still working thru MY lid 'underbite' on my XL.     I just think it is a marginal hinge design.   A LOT of weight is borne by just a little bit of hinge.   I think the band slides DOWN, too, on the bottom of the egg, this may be the cause?
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

@shadowrider

I went through a few gyrations trying to get the lid on my XL to seat perfectly. The best I could get was about a 1/4" underbite that looks like your first pics. I have no smoke leaks and the gasket is still in good shape, so I'm not sweating it.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    I just noticed the same under-bite on my large last night. But I have no leaks around the gasket, so I'm not going to worry about it. 
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited June 2015
    Options
    After many attempts to remedy a 1/4 underbite, here's what seems to have finally worked for me on my large BGE.

1) Removed the hinge springs. I did it with the dome closed by using a pair of vise grips to pull the spring enough to remove it.
    2) Loosened both band bolts enough to allow the bands to have some play.
    3) Used a crescent wrench on the top of the hinge and pulled it up enough to allow me to attach the white hinge clips.
    4) Positioned the dome for perfect alignment.
    5) Tightened the bottom band bolt.
    6) Put the springs back on.
    7) Confirmed dome alignment and tightened the upper band bolt.
    8) Removed white hinge clips.

The key change for me was flip/flop steps 6 & 7. I used to tighten the upper band bolt before putting the springs on. When I did it that way the last time, I realized that even though the white hinge clips were in place, the dome moved back almost 1/4". I know that doesn't make sense but it did. So I decided to try it again but this time I put the springs on first, checked dome position and then tightened and it has remained perfect for the past several cooks.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• walleyv
    walleyv Posts: 147
    Options
    Looking at the last pic, it looks like your top and bottom bands are not evenly spaced all the way around the egg.  Check the distance between the bands where the hinge is and then make sure the measurement where the handle is located is the same.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hard to tell from your pics but, once you get things lined up, tighten the bolts so that they look like this:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @walleyv, If you notice the angle of the tabs that attach to the bands, there's no way to make them even.  There is a little slop in the holes but you can't get them all the way there.

@TexanOfTheNorth, My bolts are bent too.  They are torqued at 125 inch pounds.  The jamb nuts are a good idea.  Think I'll dig some out of my bolt bucket and put them on.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    @walleyv, If you notice the angle of the tabs that attach to the bands, there's no way to make them even.  There is a little slop in the holes but you can't get them all the way there.

@TexanOfTheNorth, My bolts are bent too.  They are torqued at 125 inch pounds.  The jamb nuts are a good idea.  Think I'll dig some out of my bolt bucket and put them on.
    @shadowrider - I agree but yours look too much out of parallel.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • shadowrider
    Options
    I measured it and the base has 3/16" variance from the 12:00/6:00 to the 9:00/3:00 positions. The top only has a 1/8" variance measured the same way. What's interesting is that the "long" measurement is at 12:00/6:00 on both pieces so that only results in a 1/16 difference in the halves.