Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any experience with a weber smokey joe?

Hi, I've only posted here once but I read discussions frequently. I hope to get more involved in the future. My question for you this evening is does anyone own or use a weber smokey joe silver? I'm going on a two day canoe trip this weekend. I have a large egg and a kj jr. I would love to take the jr., but the thought of a tipped canoe carrying it is terrifying. Is a 30 dollar smokey joe worth picking up?

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2015
    I use my Weber Smokey Joe weekly tailgating during the summer. I actually just used it a few hours ago after playing softball tonight. The Smokey Joe hardly weighs anything making it super easy to transport. I use to bring my small BGE tailgating but it became a pain in the a** after awhile. It worked too good. The small egg stays hot for hours and removing the lump to cool it down was a chore. The Smokey Joe takes one hand to dump the coal and 5 minutes later your ready to load it into your vehicle. Perfect for easy simple meals. Unless I'm smoking something or making something above average the mini and small stay at home. Hell we made chicken fajita wraps tonight after softball with the Smokey Joe. It can be a little workhorse for hardly any money!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Thank you web! I'm going to pick one up tomorrow. Have you used lump in it or is it strictly briquettes? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited June 2015
    I like the jumbo joe.

I use briquttes in it.  Just plain ol' KBB.  If I need higher heat I will use lump.

In the end its a Weber.  They make a good product at a good price.  Hard to go wrong.

The standard Smokey Joe can also be turned into a little WSM very easily and cheaply.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited June 2015
    I have used both. More time than not I've used lump wood and a weed torch because that's what I have on hand. I've been using briquettes lately though and it seems to be easier as I use lighter fluid and a chimney starter. Both will work. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The Silver has a bottom vent and will get a touch hotter than the Premium (was called Gold) which has side vents. The Gold is ideal for travel as once the vents are shut and the lid snapped down, the briquettes will go out. With no holes in the bottom, it is like a bucket, ash stays inside and can be dumped whenever. The lid can also be locked on, and the lid can be positioned as a wind screen, just saying if it was me and I had $15 more, I'd get the Premium/Gold - specially when canoeing. 
    Like @WeberWho? I use my Smokey Joe Gold at least once a week. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Nothing better than little Joe if your heading out to the woods. Taking mine this weekend.
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Joe jr. Is a good little cooker.  One can do direct and indirect.  I put a temp probe at grid level.  Use it all the time for small cooks.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    I've cooked a lot of meat on Smokey Joes. They're great little cookers.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Great little portable or appartment grill. Don't think I would recomend a Lodge cast iron grill for a canoe trip, but great alternatitive for portable direct cooks.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have taken a smokey joe tailgating and camping, and loved every meal that grill put out. I have done the quick meals and the complex meals. I have used lump and charcoal, I have roasted, smoked, fried, and just down right low and slow. Loved it. Gave it to the kids to take to Bonaroo this year, and that little tough son of a gun made it back.
    gave it toy children since I was blessed with the MM on Father's Day. It has been to hell and back and it is ready for another trip! 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I will keep it short and sweet. For the money and what it is, the little Weber kicks a$$. I highly recommend one for portability.   

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I have two of the jumbo joes (same size as a large bge, but dressed up like a smokey joe):

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1211001-Jumbo-Charcoal-18-Inch/dp/B0098HR0RC

I take them to work when we grill for lunch. I love them.