Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to transport Demo Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi whats the best way to transport a demo egg from waldorf to NC[p] Thanks

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Tahoe.jpg
    <p />You can build an Egg Transporter for less than $20.[p]I started out with two 25"x25" sheets of 3/4" plywood from Home Depot. I had them cut a 2x4 into 4 pieces 12 1/4" long. The circle in one sheet of plywood is 20 1/4" in diameter. I pre drilled each of the 3 holes to prevent splitting and I used 2" screws. Before I screwed it together, I added a layer of Gorilla glue.[p]It takes two people to put the egg in and out, but it is rock solid in the back of my Tahoe or a truck bed.[p]Cheers,[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Thanks! appreciate the help.
    Regards, Bob

• GrillMeister
    Options
    bobbyb,[p]No problem. The dimensions in this thread are for a large egg though. The small are in your thread.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister, Hi Thanks looks great !!!!

• Dublin Dawg
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Looks like you just took the guts out of a couple of microwaves, and cut a hole in the top!

• Gene
    Gene Posts: 99
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Do you leave the grate, firebox, etc in the egg while transporting it???

• bobbyb
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Yes, I'll blame this new universe/old universe problem. I read your reply to me on the new, went to the old to respond, and went to the wrong thread. My fault. I do have the small info you sent. Thanks again,
    Bob

• GrillMeister
    Options
    gene,[p]Yep. You can pull them out and insert some dense foam pad between the parts to cushion the ride.[p]I have a firebox that's been cracked for years and I don't pull that out. It rides around to cookoffs just fine.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • GrillMeister, from the photo, I can't tell exactly how you attached the 2x4's to the plywood. Are the 2x4's inside the two sheets of plywood, i.e. sitting on top of the bottom sheet of plywood, with the top sheet sitting on top of the 2/4's?

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    JME NC,Grillmiester's box is the trick for sure if you are moving it alot. I've picked up larges at the Atlanta Eggfest the last two years. I strapped them to the hook in the floor, put a moving blanket around it, and put coolers and such up against it. I hauled one around till the next weekend and then carried to a friend that was cooking backyard at the Jack. I would take the fire grate out and the daisy wheel off.
    The first time I carried mine to a contest I took the insides out and wrapped them up in blankets. At the contest I saw folks carriing them strapped in the back of pickups. That was the end of taking them apart. Green EGG Dan carries two strapped on a cargo carrier on back of his motorhome.
    We are still looking at going to the Waldorf. Hope toget some dates figuged out tomorrow. Sounds like a fun weekend.[p]Best of Egg Haulin' to You
    Poppasam

• GrillMeister
    Options
    Egg_Transporter.jpg
    <p />Chuck/Tx,[p]Here you go. Be sure to offset each support as shown for better stability. I used 2" deck screws in predrilled holes and I used Gorilla glue before the final assembly.[p]Works like a charm, but you need two people for the large unless you take it apart. Mine's 3 years old and still going strong after hauling eggs back and forth to the lake and cook-offs.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    GrillMeister,[p]Any chance you, or someone else, has the necessary dimensions for a Medium BGE? [p]
  • Haggis,
    Here is a link to BGE site for table plans showing deminsions for holes for Egg
    They say 18 inches in diameter for the medium add a little extra around the cirle and you golden. While your at it put a couple cross beams on two side and add some metal handles and away you go![p]Enjoy the Eggfest. My first fest was back in March in Florida and I drove a large back all the way to D.C. in my van nestled in luggage and everything went fine.[p]T

[ul][li]http://www.biggreenegg.com/table-plan.htm[/ul]
  • bobbyb
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Got er done![p]IMG_0435.jpg[p]Thanks, Bob

• GrillMeister
    Options
    bobbyb,[p]Looks great! Here's a tip when loading and unloading. You can open the bottom vent and stick a gloved hand in there for a grip. Bring the egg over to one corner and set'er down. Then, with two people grip the egg just under the lip on the bottom piece and lower it in the transporter. DO NOT grab it by the handle or hinge or you will break it and your egg.[p]Cheers,[p]GM

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • BeersOnMeAustinTx
    Options
    So how do I get it, in and out of the transporter ?