Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sockeye Salmon

Options
This was the first time I have done salmon. I would have given it a shot before, but my wife recently just figured out she actually likes salmon! Cook was pretty basic, I didn't have cedar planks and forget to grab a lemon at the store, so I just put a little Tsunami Spin on it.

Grid at the felt line, 400 degrees, I think it took about 10 minutes, and threw on some fresh green beans at the same time. Everything turned out great! Wife was happy so I think salmon will be on the regular menu now. Looking forward to trying some different sauces/preparations too. Anyone have any favorites?

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great! Glad you got your wife to eat it. Mine likes salmon but, not with the skin on!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Looks fantastic. I really like to keep it basic with a good piece of Salmon.
    Why cover up the great natural taste?  
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Looks great! Glad you got your wife to eat it. Mine likes salmon but, not with the skin on!
    Salmon skin is delicious when gets a little crisp to it.
    NOLA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Salmon skin is delicious when gets a little crisp to it.
    Yes, I agree!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Man, that looks outstanding! Love those beans with a little char too! A nice dill (or maybe avocado) sauce would be good on the salmon.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Looking good! Good for you too. 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

@pgprescott definitely, mixing in some fish to the rotation helps cut all the normal BBQ proteins, and like everything else, the egg makes it shine. 

@JohnInCarolina I bet an avocado sauce would be real good, lots of good omega fattiness. I think a lemon butter caper sauce or a sweet Asian style would be good too.  Seems like salmon has endless possibilities 

@TexanOfTheNorth yeah I don't think I could sell the skin lol. I've never tried it myself. Do you pan sear it to get it crisp or just grill?

St. Louis, MO
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great!!  Lemon butter caper parsley is money. Compound chili powder butter too.  Well done!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Options
    Try dizzy pig pineapple head its really good on salmon
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks great. Sockeye is my favorite of the salmon family. 

Lately the only store that carries fish has been sold out if sockeye. The only they've had has been the Atlantic farm raise. That's a No-Go in our house. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Farm raised salmon is best served to in laws:). Sockeye, especially Copper River Sockeye is best.  Agree with stemc33.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Thanks everyone!

@TexanOfTheNorth yeah I don't think I could sell the skin lol. I've never tried it myself. Do you pan sear it to get it crisp or just grill?

Your pics looked like the skin was still on that salmon? I've just cooked it on the grill and it's good for me. But as Mrs. TOTN does not care for the skin I usually either buy pieces without skin or remove it myself before cooking.
    Options
    I find it easier to remove the skin after cooking. If anything sticks to the grill, its the skin, which I would remove anyway.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    Salmon skin = bacon of the sea

salmon skin salad is my go-to appetizer in japanese restaurants
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Yeah I cooked it with the skin on, but it didn't seem that crispy when I took it off the grill. The skin came off no problem when eating. 

St. Louis, MO