Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping smaller foods above the grate?

Options

I'm planning to make a recipe that involves grilling smaller cuts of marinated pork belly (basically similar to 2" lengths of bacon) and I'm worried that trying to grill a big batch of these will result in pieces slipping through the grate due to their small size.

Is it possible to use the slotted part of my oven broiler pan on the grill, or will it warp or cause other problems?

Plan B is to simply broil all the belly in the oven using the broiler pan.

Plan C is to buy yet another accessory for the Egg.

Thoughts?

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

Comments

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    When I need to grill smaller pieces I use a disposable grill topper. I usually get mine at Wallyworld. They are made of expanded aluminum. 
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Backyard-Grill-Disposable-Grill-Topper-3pk/19581290

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    BGE makes a basket device as well as a basket device for sliders. 

Check out Eggsessories on biggreenegg.com
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    can you use bamboo skewers, or are the pieces too small?  I also have a cast iron pan that I use to cook small items like onions and garlic
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    CI skillet

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• greenenvy
    greenenvy Posts: 87
    Options

Appreciate all the suggestions thus far.

I generally don't have much luck with small wet cuts of meat in a skillet as they always seem to get tough, possibly because they're getting steamed instead of seared?  My last attempt at this recipe was with pork loin in a CI pan and it turned out chewy.

I'm hoping the new recipe I found will turn out better with pork belly. It's one of my favorite Korean dishes.

Will explore the basket/topper options and see what I can find local. The belly's already in the fridge and I'm hoping to make it tomorrow.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have an older baking cooling rack that the wife let me have. 1/4" grid and it works very well for small things. It is a biatch to clean up afterwards though. Best thing I have found is the pressure washer.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1@carolinaQ. Or cast iron veggie rack.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have a pizza pan that has holes in it. Also, could use a cheap pizza screen. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I found a 3 pack of these at Walmart for 9.99. They are made out of steel and hold up well as long as you don't exceed 500 degrees. I have no idea what they are called or actually used for. The wrap simply said inserts. They work like a charm and for the price they are a real bargain. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @bo_mull uses. Even-though they're disposable, I get several uses out of them. Sometimes more than a year's worth. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Same as @bo_mull uses also. I That's what I used on meatloaf too. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    pizza pan

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    http://frogmats.com/

You can use these for a multitude of cooks.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    I just use a pizza screen that I picked up for cheap from the restaurant web supply store.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • greenenvy
    greenenvy Posts: 87
    Options

I like the slotted pizza pan but couldn't find a round one locally. Ended up getting a similar style Weber pan, and a basket:

LBGE in SATX