Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a 24-Hour Brine Ok?

RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have purchased a 6.5 lb. Boston Butt that will become Jerked Pulled Pork.
I have decided to try something totally different for me, I am going to brine it and then jerk it. This is my first ever brine attempt.[p]My intent is to brine for 24 hours and then jerk for 24 hours before the slo’n’lo cook.[p]Does this sound like a plan?
RhumAndJerk

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I've seen lots of recipes for pork loin that call for 2-4 days of brining. For a cut as dense as a butt I'm sure 24 hours will be fine. What brine are you planning to use?[p]Please post the results of your experiment -[p]Cathy
  • RhumAndJerk
    Cat,
    It is a Jamaican Basic Brine Recipe that includes brown sugar, allspice and coriander. I will let everyone know how it turns out.[p]Thanks for the reply,
    RhumAndJerk

• R and J : I don"t think that you will have any problem all with your brining time. I have have brined for twice that time with only excellent results. Let us know how it went.
    "Good Cooking!
    Brian

• R and J : I don"t think that you will have any problem all with your brining time. I have have brined for twice that time with only excellent results. Let us know how it went.
    "Good Cooking!
    Brian

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    RhumAndJerk,[p]My very first brine attempt was with a pork loin, about 4 pounds or so. Not as dense as a butt, however, still pork. I was planning on brining it for about 24 hours but was interrupted by my new nephew being born in Chicago (it was definitely a pleasant interruption). We took the weekend in Chitown and came back and cooked the loin, it was awesome. It had brined for about 3 days total, about 72 hours. You may want to give that butt a good couple of days if you can, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Good luck.[p]Troy
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    RhumAndJerk,
    Let us know how it turns out. I'd have probably taken the easy way out & dumped the jerk in the brine solution..... JCA

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Will any of this good stuff be ready for my party on Friday night?? I'll trade you a mini Egg for a couple of sammiches. hehehe[p]K~G

• RhumAndJerk,
    Was just looking around and found your site hope you don't mind one more opinion. First I am curious as to why you would want to brine a Butt? Given the fat content of the meat it will remain moist under almost any slow cooking conditions. If it is to infuse flavor a soaking brine will only do a limited amount to accomplish that. Might I suggest you consider injecting instead. You can target all parts of the meat including deep internal where your soaking brine will not penetrate in the time frame you plan. If you do inject still let it sit for 24 hour prior to cooking. Good Q'n to you.

• RhumAndJerk
    KennyG,
    The cooking begins on Friday night. I am planning on a full 24-hour slo’n’lo. On Sunday, however, I will have some for you. Trade Mini for sammies at that time.[p]RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    J Appledog,
    I had thought about that, however I do not want to wash away all of those yummy spices that become part of the crust. The brine solution does have some jerk ingredients in it, brown sugar, Hot pepper flakes, ginger, allspice and coriander. Actually, adding a jerk marinade to the brine is an interesting idea the more that I think about it. Instead of adding the spices individually, a stiff shot of Mrs. Dog should work as well.[p]The plan that I am going with is a 24-brine, a 24-hour Jerk and a 24-Hour cook. This differs from my normal process of a 48-hour jerk.[p]I am just doing this on a whim just to see how the results are different.[p]Thanks for the thoughts,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    Muzzy,
    First of all, Welcome. Come in and enjoy your stay.[p]To answer your first question, why brine a butt. It was simply something to try. I have been in a very nice rut in how I normally cook Pulled Pork. I have never brined anything, so what the hey. I am always looking for the best way to cook Jerk and I had seen this method in a Jamaican Cookbook.[p]As for injecting a butt, I like the sounds of that. There are not a lot of people here who use injected marinades, I however do. In the future, I will give your method a try. [p]Thank you for the suggestion,
    RhumAndJerk[p]