Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It is so hot in Columbia, my dog walked out the front door......

Options
2»

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    blasting said:
    I looked up some of your cities, and most aren't going to break 100 today.  

We are going to hit 112 today on my lovely patch of the sun. (Phoenix)

Yeah....Phoenix is only a quarter mile from the sun.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Regardless, I will take the heat over the "Polar Vortex" any day.  Besides, if your fridge is working and properly stocked, those cold beers seem much better in this weather. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Regardless, I will take the heat over the "Polar Vortex" any day.  Besides, if your fridge is working and properly stocked, those cold beers seem much better in this weather. 
    And the Restaurant Depot cooler feels sooo good!
    Phoenix 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I only say this half jokingly but I'm thinking of getting one of those big misting fans for my patio like you see at the football games.  Maybe that would keep me cool. 
    I seen this yesterday and thought it may be nice for our party on the 4th.  You can hook it straight to a hose.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-Cove-18-Volt-Bucket-Top-Misting-Fan-Tool-Only-First-Generation-MBF018BTN/205397250?cm_mmc=Shopping|Base&gclid=CjwKEAjwqqmsBRDGy_3h_eS80jYSJACS95CvdcSivKfY2ez9-ugnpByEfkT5CA0L_Eo2a0_NUsd8ahoCNU3w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    blasting said:
    @theyolksonyou   You know, people always say that "it's a dry heat".

I tell them to stick their head in their oven and see if they notice the humidity...

Folks from Arizona don't last long around here. Humidity is no joke. 
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:

I tell them to stick their head in their oven and see if they notice the humidity...

I've spent time in your neck of the woods, and I hear you.  And truth be told, I'll take 112 dry over 95 wet any day.

When it gets too hot for me, I just try and remember what shoveling snow and wind chill factors.  

Phoenix 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    This guy gets it.  I completely agree.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I agree. My first trip to Phoenix many years ago and the temps reaching 112 or maybe more.  We said, at least it is a dry heat.  Upon my return I told everyone, it was damn hot!  I don't care what the humidity was.    I do think humidity makes you feel worse in lower warm temps.  Like 80 - 95 with high humidity is much worse than in the same range with low humidity.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @Jeepster47 My Grandfather on my Mother's side used to deliver large blocks of ice for cooling in Nebraska back in the dark ages. Home HVAC sure has come a LONG ways. 
    On our trip to Cambodia these long blocks of ice are still used to keep food safe for travelers that venture out of the city into the remote villages. Oh and yes that is the delivery truck open air 103 the day I took this pic.  

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    blasting said:

Try sticking your hand into a 250º oven and then into 250º steam. You will see that the dry heat is more tolerable than the humid heat. 

Actually kids, please don't really do either! Just trying to make a point.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

I've spent time in your neck of the woods, and I hear you.  And truth be told, I'll take 112 dry over 95 wet any day.

When it gets too hot for me, I just try and remember what shoveling snow and wind chill factors.  

Our advantage, at midnight it will be 80 here, in Phoenix it will still be 100. Never got used to that when I was out there for work. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    We are finally getting a break here in S. OH. We have two Welsh Corgis, they do not do heat well. In this weather it is out the door to do their business then back in. If hubby gets them for a walk it is just to the corner and back.

Our Vet told us one time that due to their coats and heritage we really needed to keep the AC at 68 degrees. Ah, no. But during this weather they just lay around a lot...one of them will lay over the vent in the bedroom and be in heaven!

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Options
    You folks are making me home sick but not for the heat and humidity. Think I'll stay by the West coast ocean tonight and not complain about June gloom.

Take care of yourselves and your pets
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • blasting
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    blasting said:
    blasting said:

Our advantage, at midnight it will be 80 here, in Phoenix it will still be 100. Never got used to that when I was out there for work. 
    You are correct sir.  I feel pretty caged in for 4 months not being able to open a window.
    Phoenix