Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poutine, eh!

Options
During my recent trip to Canada for the Toronto Eggfest, I sampled some of Canada's staples for the first time. I sampled Molson Canadian beer, Tim Horton's coffee and poutine. The coffee was great, the poutine was amazing and the beer, well, it was...fine. My trip was great and I met a ton of great people and forum members. Thank you for all of the Northern hospitality! 

Poutine is great, but poutine on a burger is out of bounds! Here is a kobe beef patty with twice fried fries, a homemade brown gravy and cheddar cheese curds. 

The gravy started with some finely diced onions sauteed in butter, then flour was added to form a roux. Once the flour had cooked and the roux was ready, beef broth was stirred in slowly. Then simmered to thicken. 

CAUTION: Frying over an open flame is very dangerous. Use extreme caution when doing so. 

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Was the Canadian beer too strong for you? LOL.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've lived here 15 years (and travelled and done business here for 10 years before) that. I think I've had poutine once! Glad to hear that you enjoyed though.

Timmie's is an institution all its own up here. The Wendy's/Timmies merger did not go so well... we'll have to wait and see how Burger King does.

What did you not like about the beer? There are many better labels than Molson btw.  
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I've lived here 15 years (and travelled and done business here for 10 years before) that. I think I've had poutine once! Glad to hear that you enjoyed though.

Timmie's is an institution all its own up here. The Wendy's/Timmies merge did not go so well... we'll have to wait and see how Burger King does.

What did you not like about the beer? There are many better labels then Molson btw.  
    The Molson was fine, but I preferred the Creemore that I had. The Molson was the only Canadian brew that I could find locally. 
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Was the Canadian beer too strong for you? LOL.
    Nah, just preferred the Creemore. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Food looks good. I was just up there fishing. Drank Molsen and Labatt Blue. It was alright. Wanted to try Poutine but weren't ever at a restaurant in Canada. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options

Timmie's is an institution all its own up here. The Wendy's/Timmies merge did not go so well... we'll have to wait and see how Burger King does.

What did you not like about the beer? There are many better labels then Molson btw.  
    The Molson was fine, but I preferred the Creemore that I had. The Molson was the only Canadian brew that I could find locally. 
    Funny thing about Molson... they have a beer called "Export" referred to as Molson X. It's not too bad but, ironically, I do not believe that it is available in the US (at least it didn't used to be)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options

Next time you are in town Craig, I will introduce you to a whole lot of amazing beers!  Craft Breweries are everywhere here now, as in the USA as well of course, but knowing which ones are better than others really helps.  Food looks amazing BTW.
    Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Why can't I ever get my burgers to look like that? You know how a golf course is either too wet or too dry? That's my burger resumé - too rare or too done.

Love poutine, when it's made right like yours.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Unibroue is my favorite brewery up North.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I was always partial to Kokanee Gold.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    Unibroue is my favorite brewery up North.
    La Fin Du Monde FTW
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mine is Dieu du Ciel.  

http://www.dieuduciel.com/

I have heard rumors of barrel aged Peche Mortel and it makes me weak in the knees! 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    I have only had poutine once while visiting Canada...in Epcot lol. Loved it, but who wouldn't? Also grew up drinking Molsen Ice, had to change to bud products when I joined the military due to lack of variety in other states. Burger looks damn tasty. Great cook Craig!
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    woah sounds rich!  Burger has perfect color, for me atleast!

Unibroue is awesome - did a beer tasting with them at a small thai restaurant in dayton, oh.  Wasnt expecting much (expect a cool beer glass) but it was really really good stuff.  

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I went to Montreal once, maybe 20 years ago, and one of the main things I remember is how wonderful the beer was.  Wow, it was good!  I don't remember the brands, probably just had whatever was on tap, but it was wonderful beer.  I gather it's rather different from the Canadian beer we get in the US.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Poutine burger looks downright decadent :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Food looks good and in the states I like Molson Gloden, haven't had it in a long time.  Labatt Blue is another good one.  Here is Pamela Anderson as the Labatt Blue girl back in 1989.  I may have to try and do french fries on the egg.  At what temp did you have it at to cook @Big_Green_Craig ?

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Food looks good and in the states I like Molson Gloden, haven't had it in a long time.  Labatt Blue is another good one.  Here is Pamela Anderson as the Labatt Blue girl back in 1989.  I may have to try and do french fries on the egg.  At what temp did you have it at to cook @Big_Green_Craig ?

I used a 2qt Lodge dutch oven. Make sure you wait for a mature fire. You don't want any flame, just lit coals. My dome temp was 350F. Let the oil get hot and then fry them like you normally would. I fry on the Egg bc Mrs BGC would kill me if I stink the house up. BE CAREFUL!!! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the trip north of 49º. Nice looking burger, you could get a job at Tremblant! 
    Cheese curd is very difficult to find here on the left coast. Every time my brother visits us from Kingston, On. he brings about 10 pounds of the stuff. Timmy's is starting to catch on here in Lotus Land, we still have more Starbuck's. 
    Regarding the beer, Molson and Labatts are much like Bud and Miller - they make OK beer, but there are much better around. Creemore is very good, it is available at the Ottawa airport, I always topped the tank for the 5 hour flight home. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
     Elsinore is my favorite Canadian brew. =)
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Ladeback69 you can fry in your wok on that little vision you have if you have a way to support it. If the wok is a good size the hangover would be much safer than over an opening. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Oh, and that burger looks awesome. Sorry for the mini jack. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's much safer to fry on the plate setter with some foil to block any spattering. I typically use a 5 qt DO since the higher sides control it even better. Again, safety is relative since frying over an open flame isn't the safest to begin with.

I'd recommend getting a portable induction burner and frying next to the egg.