Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a table for my new XL need some dimensions

Options
I just bought a new XL egg last week as my Father's Day gift. It's still in the box and I am about to build a table out of cedar so that I can hopefully start using it in the next week or so. I'm picking up the wood this afternoon. I am going to be using a table nest and I can't seem to find a good number on what the height from the top of the shelf that the nest will sit on to the top of the table should be. Any help will be greatly appreciated and I will update this thread with pics as I progress.
XL and Mini
Muscle Shoals, AL

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I'm from around Birmingham. Are you located in Alabama also?
  • jrobison
    jrobison Posts: 50
    Options
    Yeah I live up in Muscle Shoals...

XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I used to work up in Florence and Decatur at the Castner Knott stores.
    I really like that area of the state.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Are you going to add firebricks or pavers below the table nest? Make sure to account to the thickness of the bricks. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• jrobison
    Options
    Thanks guys. I wasn't planning on adding bricks under the nest. Does anyone think I should? I saw the drawing G posted. But it doesn't mention a nest so I didn't know if that was a good number
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
    I remember the Castner Knott. It's a Dillard's now. I think. This is a great part of the state
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • Ddg551
    Ddg551 Posts: 8
    Options
    hey, the circle should be 26 and a 1/4".  I built mine at 3/4" and am happy cause i make pizza and it adds a little protection.  From the top of the table to the top of the shelf holding the egg with the egg stand should be 12.5 inches. I just made my table and I love it, it fits perfect cause I am tall.  The table has to be at least 32 inches deep.  The draw back to my table is its heavy.  I surrounded the whole thing so you can't see through it.  
  • jrobison
    Options
    Thanks ddg. Can u post some pics of your table or a link to your thread if u have one? I cut a lot of the wood this afternoon. Gonna try to start assembling tomorrow. Not sure how I want to do the top yet. I'll post pics soon. 
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
    Also, what do you mean by building yours at 3/4" and that adding protection? 
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • FBGirl79
    FBGirl79 Posts: 9
    Options
    Following. Just got hubby an XL for Father's Day (we moved to Ohio a few years ago from Birmingham btw) and he is going to start on a table soon.

XL BGE Cincinnati, OH

• Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Just built this cedar table with granite top for my XL.  Now trying to decide on handles for it.  Don't forget to add in wheel height {I used 5" wheels}, table nest height, and yes I would put pavers under the table nest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    Options
    I think he is saying he added a 1/2" to the diameter, kind of wish I did that too.  Gives a bigger air gap so the wood does not heat as fast.
  • Ddg551
    Options
    I am trying to figure out how to post an image.  I am new to this forum.  
  • Ddg551
    Options

jrobison said:
    Also, what do you mean by building yours at 3/4" and that adding protection? 
    It added the extra quater inch between the egg and the table.
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    I've got a 2x6, then a 3cm piece of granite and then a table nest.  Here it is

From the top of the granite to the top of my table is 12 inches.  Below is a picture of the hinge at the back.  It's just over 1/2" away from the table top.  So if you're going to have a table nest I'd say don't go any lower than 12 1/2".  Hope that helps.

I cut my circle pretty much exactly at 26 1/4 and I think it's perfect.  I haven't seen any wood discoloration from it getting too hot.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • jrobison
    Options
    wow. Thanks everyone for the tips. I am hoping to start putting the table together tonight. Not sure it will look as good as some of y'all's but surely it will hold up the egg....

XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
    Also, if you have 4-5" wheels are y'all making the legs 27-28" instead of 32"?
    That seems awful short but maybe it works out with the height of the grill. 
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    27" table with 5" tall casters underneath is the same as a 32" table without wheels. I think 32" is too short so I'm doing a 34" table.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jimithing
    Options
    jrobison said:
    Also, if you have 4-5" wheels are y'all making the legs 27-28" instead of 32"?
    That seems awful short but maybe it works out with the height of the grill. 
    I think I made mine 31 inches.  I wanted it to be taller.  I didn't want to bend over the grill.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • scottn83
    scottn83 Posts: 117
    Options
    jimithing said:
    I've got a 2x6, then a 3cm piece of granite and then a table nest.  Here it is

From the top of the granite to the top of my table is 12 inches.  Below is a picture of the hinge at the back.  It's just over 1/2" away from the table top.  So if you're going to have a table nest I'd say don't go any lower than 12 1/2".  Hope that helps.

I cut my circle pretty much exactly at 26 1/4 and I think it's perfect.  I haven't seen any wood discoloration from it getting too hot.
    building mine as we speak and I didnt even think about the hing on my measurements I may need to adjust the shelf I have already screwed in good thing i use screws LOL

hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • scottn83
    scottn83 Posts: 117
    Options
    i notice the feet on some of the eggs before sitting on a stone is there a need for that. I plan to make a 2 in concrete slab laided on a shelf but do i need the feet or can the egg sit right on the concrete
    hello all I live in KY Bourbon country so I love my makers, love my egg but still love my wife the most
  • jrobison
    Options
    Well I cut my legs to 32" and built the frame tonight. I can shorten them later if I need to. I'll try to post some pics tomorrow. Thanks for all the help...
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
  • jimithing
    Options
    Looking good.  That looks like Aromatic Cedar as opposed to Western Red Cedar?  You're in Alabama so I guess that makes sense.  I have never seen Aromatic Cedar in large enough quantities to make a table out of it.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • jrobison
    Options
    Thanks, its not western cedar. It was grown right here in North Alabama. I have a pretty good supplier for it and can actually buy it quite cheap. I paid $20 for the 2 4x4's a little over 8' long and planed smooth.
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
  • jrobison
    Options
    Got the whole frame built tonight and the bottom shelf is done. Gonna do the bottom shelf and middle shelf out of planks and then the top will be one solid piece of cedar (actually glued pieces and sanded). 
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL
  • jrobison
    Options
    Got the middle shelf done tonight. I added a couple treated 2x4 supports under that section since it will hold the egg. It feels sturdy. Gonna oil the table tomorrow and add casters. Then all that will be left is the top which may be ready this weekend too. Can't wait to try it out. My egg is still in the box so I may assemble it tomorrow too. 
    XL and Mini
    Muscle Shoals, AL