Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got a new Flameboss 100

Thanks @BearQ for the advice on the 200. Looked at the DiGi Q and the Guru, but this just seemed to be the most simple way to go. Don't really need WiFi so that's why I went with the 100. Any tips from the pit controller pros?

St. Johns County, Florida

Comments

• grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    What was the cost difference compared to the others.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    I got this at my local Ace for 279. They want 278 + shipping and tax through their website.  The Flameboss 200 is going for $349 but it seems to be on back order. The only difference I can see is the WiFi
  • MaC122
    edited June 2015
    edit...they want $289 on the website. Forum is acting strange and wont let me edit my OP
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Was the DiGi Q around the same price
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • MaC122
    Yup, about the same price. You should read @BearQ review on the Flameboss. That is what sold me
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

When looking at the DigiQ DX2 and the Flameboss 100, don't forget about the Pitmaster iQue 120.

Just ask @RickyBobby about it.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    Congrats.  I love my FB100.  I recommend setting your pit temp low then once it stabalizes bump up to final cook temp.

If anyone wants a FB100 PM me.  I want to upgrade to the 200. :)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • stlcharcoal
    Congrats.  I love my FB100.  I recommend setting your pit temp low then once it stabalizes bump up to final cook temp.

If anyone wants a FB100 PM me.  I want to upgrade to the 200. :)

Talked to FB's owner today.  He said those 100 control heads cannot be upgraded to the 200; however; they can be swapped out through them.   We the dealers can only get the whole unit, not the individual parts.  Give him a shout and maybe you can get a better deal upgrading the control head than what I can do on the full 200, less whatever you sell the used 100 for.

• MaC122

When looking at the DigiQ DX2 and the Flameboss 100, don't forget about the Pitmaster iQue 120.

I may be wrong...but don't you sell rockwood? I searched your site and I did not see that you sold pit controllers.

• stlcharcoal
    MaC122 said:

I may be wrong...but don't you sell rockwood? I searched your site and I did not see that you sold pit controllers.

Yeah, they're only mentioned in a few places, very deep......kind of like our phone number.  Gotta email us about them.  Our business is 99.9% charcoal, so I don't really want a ton of business selling stuff besides charcoal.  We sell for the companies that helped us early on, and vice versa--those that we enjoy helping in their early stages.

We had custom fire grate manufactured and sold them for a while.  They were making up less than 1% of our revenue by the time all the credit card processing fees, shipping, insurance......yet were taking up a much higher of percentage of time.  We gave that market segment away to all the copy cats on eBay.

• MaC122
    MaC122 said:

Yeah, they're only mentioned in a few places, very deep......kind of like our phone number.  Gotta email us about them.  Our business is 99.9% charcoal, so I don't really want a ton of business selling stuff besides charcoal.  We sell for the companies that helped us early on, and vice versa--those that we enjoy helping in their early stages.

We had custom fire grate manufactured and sold them for a while.  They were making up less than 1% of our revenue by the time all the credit card processing fees, shipping, insurance......yet were taking up a much higher of percentage of time.  We gave that market segment away to all the copy cats on eBay.

well, I love your charcoal!!! I love rockwood. Its hard to start, but when it does it burns all day! Rockwood is the best

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Hook it up, Plug it in,and turn it on. Thing is super simple and easy to use. Start a little below your target temp and bump it up after it stabilizes.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stlcharcoal
    MaC122 said:

well, I love your charcoal!!! I love rockwood. Its hard to start, but when it does it burns all day! Rockwood is the best

How are you starting it??  Takes me 5-10 minutes with a weed burner, but I frequently use other methods just for eval.  Electric, alcohol, etc......I don't have chimney start but have ripped up the bag then built a pile on top.

Have you seen the BBQ Dragon?  I'm supposed to get my first case of them any day now......they look pretty cool.  I've used a hairdryer and a heat gun before, never sprang for the fancy "BBQ versions" of them though.

• MaC122
    I use the loof lighter. Its not that slow, Im just comparing it to BGE lump which light faster with it. But trust me, rockwood is way better. cleaner burn and does not have that bad smell
  • stlcharcoal
    MaC122 said:
    I use the loof lighter. Its not that slow, Im just comparing it to BGE lump which light faster with it. But trust me, rockwood is way better. cleaner burn and does not have that bad smell

Light fire with fire.  :)
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Pieces of paper towel and vegetable oil,can't be beat and very easy.