Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another 2nd in Ribs

Options

Last Saturday I competed in the Ribfest at Poolside in Little Canada, MN. Last year I got a 2nd and again this year. I had 88.0 points, 1st place was 88.6

I should be able to buy a few briskets with the winnings.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nice work!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Nicely done man!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Congrats!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Thanks!

The morning was a little rain but cleared up and was a great day. All proceeds went to Prevent 7, an organization to prevent bullying kids.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    Congrats    What method did you use?
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Congrats
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bigguy136
    Options
    bill37 said:
    Congrats    What method did you use?
    I did a 2.75-2-1 method at 250° and cherry smoke with 4 racks of St. Louis Spares

Big Lake, Minnesota

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Awesome job brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Good for you!!!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Any pics of the ribs? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Cool looking trophy; congrats!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Congrats!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Did you use the egg or another smoker?
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    What's the entry cost? What does first take home? I competed in the Bone Daddy Classic rib competition in Shakopee and I always end up forgetting about the Poolside competition. Do you provide the ribs or does Poolside? Thanks  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Way to represent.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    Atta boy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Nice job, congrats!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Well done!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bigguy136
    Options
    Any pics of the ribs? 

Yes but my girlfriend used her camera so I need to get them and post. Sorry 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    Did you use the egg or another smoker?

Yes, I used a LBGE with 4 racks. I also brought my mini max and did bacon and eggs for breakfast, pulled pork nachos for lunch and some bacon wrapped mushrooms for a snack. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

• bigguy136
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    What's the entry cost? What does first take home? I competed in the Bone Daddy Classic rib competition in Shakopee and I always end up forgetting about the Poolside competition. Do you provide the ribs or does Poolside? Thanks  

It was a $40 entry fee. 1st was $500, 2nd was $300 and 3rd was $200 if they had 25 teams. 19 teams showed so they cut back on the winnings. I got $230 for the 2nd.

I wanted to compete in the BDC. How many teams? Entry? Prize money?

They provide the ribs. 3 racks minimum. Turned in 6 bones with no garnishments.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Way cool to place so high and so close ... plus, supporting a good cause.  Congrats.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2015
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    WeberWho? said:

It was a $40 entry fee. 1st was $500, 2nd was $300 and 3rd was $200 if they had 25 teams. 19 teams showed so they cut back on the winnings. I got $230 for the 2nd.

I wanted to compete in the BDC. How many teams? Entry? Prize money?

They provide the ribs. 3 racks minimum. Turned in 6 bones with no garnishments.

They had 37 teams this year at the Bone Daddy Classic. $60 entry fee with two racks of ribs provided. 6 bones minimum for turn in. No garnish. 1st place is $1,000 cash, 2nd place is a medium egg, third place $250 in BGE credit. Brisket_Fanatic here on the forum took 1st last year and I ended up placing 3rd this year with my wife taking home a large egg in the raffle. I've seen 2 or 3 other local BGE rib competitions but the entry fee is almost the same as the Bone Daddy Classic with half the purse size for 1st. Congratulations though on 2nd.  That's awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota